1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE DIET THREAD #04

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jan 19, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Fat cells take 6 weeks to disinigrate :confused:

First, fat cells will only disinigrate if they are sucked out of they body by liposuciton. They release the stored fat, and then shrink, but they never are gone.

Second, you can put your body into fat loss immediately, not 6 weeks. In 6 weeks you may very well have lost 12 - 24 lbs of fat if you maintain your lifestyle choices!

Third, when people talk about "water loss" that is partly true. A fat cell is 80% water, so when one loses fat, they are losing water, too. My weight loss wasn't water only. I have a scale that measures body fat percentage (bio electrical impedence), and I dropped a llittle under 4%.

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Like you said, nothing is absolute. Genes, metabolism play a big part. That sounds like proof :) Good job!

I may not have the process memorized but we just ordered Body Story from netflix. There is a series of 3 disks, the others are different topics like viruses traveling through the body.

It is a movie made in England. This black guy was trying to loose weight, and it said after 7 days, he would have a really tough time (no exercise) He had lost like 6 pounds in the first week, but apparently (according to the movie) his mind and body would go into a "flight" mode where his body thinks he is starving. In fact, he couldn't concentrate at work on the seventh day because the body's energy was depleted. So he caved, and gained it back.
    I notice if I can go 24 hours, then my stomach has shrunk, so it needs less food to feel full. I don't watch my weight though.
    This movie was wonderful!! It was graphic and showed the process inside the body during a diet. They felt he needed to work out for 6-8 weeks for the fat cells not to be in the mode of sucking back up the fat. It was a bit discouraging, this poor guy was sore and 6-8 weeks seems like a long time to wait for real results. Real meaning, the kind that don't allow the fat to come back. Your body has settled. I can't explain it too well. I wish I had the video for you, I'd mail it to you if I could.
    If I remember right, you are on course.
    Can't recall whether exercise was required to keep the weight off perminately, but after some weeks, the story seemed to indicate he wouldn't do any better if he didn't exercise. So he did. I had a sinus infection, so I had a hard time paying attention to the details. At one point, something happens to the fat cells after a certain amount of time and it's much easier to keep it off. Exercise was key to keeping it off. It alters the fat cells.

#202 Joe, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the craziest thing I've heard in awhile. So you're telling me that if I gain another 5 pounds of muscle I'll burn an extra 6,000 calories per day, on top of my normal BMR. I'd have to eat 7,500-8,000 calories a day just to break even.

5 pounds x 50 calories x 24 hours = burning an extra 6,000 calories per day, more than normal BMR= insane if you believe this

4. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are less than 4% bodyfat, then I want to see a picture with your shirt off. Seriously. You should be one RIPPED dude and eager to show off. I'll shut up as soon as I see it. Here is Tom Venuto at 3.7%... you should be ripped about the same:

[​IMG]

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you're so big on bodybuilding... basically the same as "eating clean". You ought to know what that means. Otherwise, read "Body by God" or "The Abs Diet" if you want a much longer rambling explanation than that.

Read "Body by God", "The Abs Diet", and just google "eating clean" if you want three more opinions. Way too much info there to cover it all in a paragraph on a forum post, but yes, both of these have that same idea, to eat naturally.

Eh? Are you referring to me? When exactly did I say to eliminate meats? All I said was to eliminate the junk meat, such as fatty pork, and fatty ground beef. I believe I specifically said to eat grilled chicken, venison, lean cuts of beef, and in another post, eggs.

Also, since you mention the low carb stuff... read about Tom Venudo's diet, he will tell you the low carb mess is a bunch of junk, and the picture above should show that he is right. For example, even when he is in the cutting stage and doing the low carb thing, he is still ingesting about 200 grams a day. That's like eating 8 baked potatoes. Otherwise, it's usually alot more than that. That's not exactly the same thing as some of these folks trying to do the low carb Atkins thing where they're trying to stay less than 20. He will tell you from experience that you'll be walking around with your head in the clouds if you do that... he even got the nickname "fog boy" or something like that when he was trying to do things like this.

Many (if not most) of them have serious health problems in older age. Lots of them have heart issues in their 40's and 50's. Their purpose is to be huge while they are young, not be healthy all their life. This is hardly a good recommendation to give to the masses. For example, one time I calculated that one particular successful bodybuilder was eating 2,800% of his RDA of cholesterol just from eggs alone, every day, and not counting anything else.

And, once again, I never said to eliminate meat. Twice in one post you mentioned it now.

#205 corndogggy, Dec 11, 2007
  6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I ain't attempting to speak for web here, but I think you misread what he said. He did not say he was now at 4% body fat, but that he lost 4% body fat.

7. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gotta agree here. Fat cells store all they can, then they divide if they have to store more. Unfortunately these cells have a "no return policy" on them though... once they are created, they never go away. They can shrink, but you can't make them leave without some cutting. Fortunately though, that usually isn't necessary, it's usually just the lazy way out.

And yeah, the 6 weeks thing, never heard that one before. What would be the point of storing fat in the first place if you can't use it for 6 weeks?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The memory isn't what it used to be :) (it has been 9 years since I sat for my ACE certification)

It should have been 35 - 50 calories per day...not hour.

#208 webdog, Dec 11, 2007
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, that's what I said, or at least what I meant....

#209 webdog, Dec 11, 2007
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

True, I stand corrected.

I would like to mention that Tom Vernudo's diet of 200 grams of carbs is LOW for what he does. It's even on the lower end for most sedentary folks, so he does advocate a low carb diet.

11. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The typical goal of a modern "low carb" diet is to go into ketosis due to severely limiting carbs while not limiting much of anything else. This isn't going to happen with 200 grams on a sedentary person. Those diets tell everybody to stay below 50 grams, and that's at the upper end for general guidelines. Most, like Atkins, tells you to stay below 20, with some below 15. From what I can tell, Atkins even has you only eating 60-90 grams every day for the rest of your life even if you exercise regularly and are past the initial dieting stage. Big difference between that and 200 grams during a cutting stage. Most low carb dieters would freak out if you told them to eat 200 grams. That's a massive amount to most of them. I have no problem with 200 grams especially while dieting, but it's not exactly what I would call "low carb" by any means. Is it on the lower end for most fat lazy sedentary Americans? Sure. Is it "low carb"? I don't think so. Low carb diets are really bad for you. This is alot different.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most bodybuilders eat upwards of 400g protein and 400-500g carbs, so 200g of carbs would be equivilent to a sedentary person eating less than 75g carbs, which is still considered low carb. I lose weight pretty easily limiting my carbs under 150. I agree that limiting them to 20 or under is not wise, nor necessary. Glycogen stores don't need to be depleted with so few carbs, and fat burning does not increase by limiting them that much. My personal plan is bodyweight in protein, half that in carbs, half of that in protein (100 / 50 / 50 is what I call it)
    Example: I weigh 215lbs. I consume 215g protein, half of that number in carbs (roughly 110g), and half of that in fat (50-60g). After much experimenting, this works for me, but may not work for everyone. It is considered low carb and is not dangerous.

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I thought I would bump this thread up since I am trying to eat a diabetic diet and I have lost 20# so far. I would like to lose another 15 or 20#, but we will see how it goes.

Of course, the fact that I can't chew anything because of oral surgery is helping a great deal.

I was determined that I would NOT live on milk shakes, but would try to eat healthy even if I had to grind up my meat (and I have had to). :(

How much have you lost now, Donna?

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not sure Sue, I think I'm closing in 100, or at least getting close. Some new clothes are fitting better, and some old need to go.
    Taylor was playing beside me on the couch, and my blouse was off my shoulder, she pulled it back up and said, "mamaw, you clothes come off, I put them back for you."

15. I Am Blessed 24

Awwww. That was so sweet of her!

I know I feel a lot better just losing 20. I can only imagine how much better you must feel!

Hang in there girl....we're getting there! :)

16. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Congratulations! I Am Blessed 18 and donnA

You two ladies deserve praise!
    May you both reach your goal!
    :thumbs: Good job!

17. I Am Blessed 24

Thank you! I've lost 23# now, but it is coming off slowly (guess it's supposed to)...