1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The dislike of Calvinism may rest upon the attitude of Calvinists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His lifestyle? From most accounts he lived an exemplary lifestyle. The worst that can be said was that he was peevish and irritable. But since he was dealing with about a dozen illnesses it's quite understandable.
    You still haven't said if you have read any of his works or not.
    You may be confusing his beliefs with those of Martin Luther's consubstaniation --not much different than transubstantiation.
    The church didn't rule Geneva --the Genevan Council did.
    Not according to Calvinistic scholars like J. Rainbow,Paul Helm,Roger Nicole and others.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You state you disagree with my comment...then essentially agree with me our efforts don't gain godliness, something I stated. What did God tell Cain? Who does Scripture state He rewards? The Bible is filled with such examples! Faith is never a meritorious work, but is essential...and required of us.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin's life style is not my life style. I don't know what you consider "exemplary" but, being "irritable and peevish" is not in the list of what a Spirit controlled person would normally exude.

I am not trying to be overly critical, I am just stating that He and I wouldn't be that close of a friend.

Of course I have read from some of his writings - why does that matter? Are you assuming that what others quote from his writings (both in criticism and in support) is inappropriate?

I understand well going to the "original source" for research purposes, I did enough of that during my career. So, yes I have read some of his translated writings as well as other source comments about his writings.

Nope. Calvin held that the wine and bread were symbolic until ingested, in which they became by the power of the Spirit the substance of the body and blood of Christ.

The "Geneva council" ruled about as much as the puritan influenced "round heads" ran England without the influence and approval of the Puritan church leaders, or the King of Spain ruled without the papists dictatorial oversight.

I really don't want to get into this, but those that fled to Geneva learned well how to control others through the "politics" of the church. But then the world was used to such rule by the papists for centuries.

I just did a quick search and came up with this resource to which you might look: John Calvin

I think it would express more clearly and give you more documentation than I have the time or inclination to dig out for the BB.

Besides the site embraces the "Calvinistic doctrines of grace." So, when they are either positive and especially critical it must comes with credible documentation.

Perhaps you can contribute to this site and improve it. That is always welcome if the contribution is accurate and documented. With your own knowledge, I am sure you may be a great benefit to them.

:godisgood:

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As YOU can see, your second statement does NOT conform to your first statement.

Perhaps you just didn't remember.

I have that problem - more and more each day.

I didn't think you were getting that problem, too. :)

Ok, lets look at what God told Cain:
    6 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen?"
    In other words, "Why do you have the pout-y lips and bad attitude?"

7 "If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up?"
    In other words, "If you do what is correct, won't you have a bright smiley face?"
    "And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.”
    In other words, "Sin has consequences and demands more and more until it masters you, but you must master it."

Now, Cains efforts did nothing to which we would agree, however again this is NOT in agreement with what you stated here:

Cain showed great "effort" and grace was certainly opposed to that effort.

#105 agedman, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

it conforms perfectly...you just don't like the definitions involved :)

It takes effort to turn from sin and turn to Christ. It takes effort to no longer want to live for yourself. It takes effort to reason with the Lord, as He tells us to do. None of that is considered works, meaning we don't earn salvation in any way, shape, or form.

You honestly believe the following verse is merely about a pouty face in contrast with a smiley face?!?

6 The Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for[c] you, but you must rule over it.”

The irony is God was telling a spiritual corpse in your system he could do well and rule over sin.
    Nobody said anything about any kind and all effort receiving His grace. He gives grace to the humble, humility in itself taking great effort in our fallen state. God is quite clear which effort saves, it is the effort of turning from yourself and your self righteousness that you think deserves a place in salvation and turning to the completed work of Christ.

It takes great effort to reason, especially when you are created bent towards sin and self gratitude.

#106 webdog, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
  7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Webdog,

This is far from the OP, and is going no where.

I quoted the passage, showed the meaning. That you disagree with the meaning is not obliging me to change.

I quoted you, and you don't see your own work as contradictory.

No point in continuing.

You desire some human effort out of some innate natural freedom of will and choice irregardless of any desires, motives or impress by the Holy Spirit. Calvinistic thinking does not agree.

You can continue your view on the Cal/Arm forum.

The continued discussion on this topic doesn't belong in this forum.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nice way to quietly back out of the room :applause::thumbs:

I showed quite succinctly and accurately how my quote is not contradictory. You just don't like the explanation.

I desire biblical truth, so please don't tell me what I desire.

It also cannot be denied it takes effort to reason. Just our exchange alone takes the effort to compile our thoughts, type them out, edit the spelling, etc.

#108 webdog, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013
  9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You obviously have not picked up a book dealing with his life. I told you before that he had many ailments that a man of weaker constitution would have fainted under. To be peevish and irritable at times though still sinful would not be anything like the slanderous charges that have been laid at his feet even by professing Christians.

For one thing it would give you greater insight and appreciation for the man that God raised up and provided comfort and encouragement to Christians throught the past 450-some years and counting.

You're wrong. I have before me "A Contemporary Edition of The Westminster Confession Of Faith" edited by Donald Remillard. Presby Press 2002. I will cite headings 6 and 7 of chapter 29. I think things are stated clearly there and would be in agreement with John Calvin's understanding.

6) "Teaching that the substance of the bread and wine changes into the substance of Jesus Christ's body and blood (usually called transubstaniation)through consecration by a priest,or through any other means,is contrary to Scripture and repugnant to common sense and reason. It contradicts the nature of the celebrated sacred event,having caused and continues to cause numerous superstitions and excessive idolatries.

7) Those worthily receiving the bread and wine of the Lord's Supper receive and feed on Jesus Christ crucified. Through faith, in reality and actually,not physically but spiritually,they assume to themselves all of the good results of his death. Christ's body and blood are not physically in,with or under the bread and wine. As the bread and wine are physically real to the senses, so through the faith of believers in the reality signified by the Lord's Supper, Christ is spiritually present with the celebrants."

Of course the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith is substantially the same as the WCF in the same subject matter.

No,it only references Roger Nicole's work which I had mentioned in my post. It also listed an opposing view by Norm Geisler --a professing "moderate Calvinist" is is certainly an Arminian. He has said that the Canons of Dort are hyper-Calvinistic! Some unusual Calvinist is he.

I did like the site though and its links.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    many who hold to non calvinistic/Arminian theologies don't seem to see that there are differences in the camp of the Calvinists!

To my understanding, there are these distinct and seperate groups under the banner of calvinism:

Reformed Christians holding to all of cavinism, Covenant theology, infant baptism, Church government etc as held by calvin and followerers

Reformed baptists same as above, except hold to believers baptism and different church government...

reformed christians, usually the so called '4 pointers", baptists who would hold to the Doctrines of grace as regarding Sotierology, debate would be between those holding to limited/unlimited atonement views!

Would say in the SBC and overall baptist churches, group 3 would be most common 'calvinists"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.