1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The doctrine of Hell

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 24, 2016.

1. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Verse 8...cool

Move over to chapter 17 and take a look at verse 8

"From the foundation of the world" is referring to those who were written in the book of life - not Jesus dying before He was born

smh...

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    boy, Rome and her wayward daughters sure like to throw around that "H" word...good grief

So much for the sovereignty of God if a lil ol' thing like one's view of Hades will damn someone to there.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So the bible does not mean what it says if it proves you wrong? Interesting hermeneutic. <roll eyes>

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why make up falsehoods about what others have said?

Quote anything I have said that indicates having a heterodox view of Hades will condemn anyone.

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes James does have a interesting hermeneutic. James thinks he knows more than everyone else thats for sure!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing you can take to the bank...if we ever disagree, you're the one who's wrong

7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you use words you don't understand? I dunno, Is there such a thing as heresy that isn't outside the pale of orthodoxy?

bItw, I recently saw someone refer to it as the pail of orthodoxy - lol

8. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    while I've got you on the phone....
    Are you ever going to answer why you think Romans 1 teaches that we can lose our salvation?

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it is you who doesn't understand the meaning of fairly simple words. "Heresy" (αιρεσιν) means "divisive." It comes from the Greek word "to choose" as in to "choose up sides."

So, again, please post where I ever said that a different opinion on the nature of hell would result in a person being lost.

Time to put up or shut up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above quoted posts seems to be the crux of the problem. James believes he, and apparently only he, is righteous and fulfilling all God has for him. He looks down his nose at those who struggle in ways he is not able to comprehend.

And when challenged he seems to display and appalling degree of self-righteousness. He's right, everybody else is wrong. He is spiritual and the rest are all carnal. Those who are not exactly like him are obviously lost and are false believers.

The apostle Paul, when comparing himself to others found that "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief." (1 Timothy 1:15)

:(

• Like Like x 1
  11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It might serve you well to understand the context of my dialogue with John before you butt in.

12. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never did teach that we can lose our salvation as that is a false doctrine. Its just that YOU have put words into my mouth.

13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    her·e·sy
    ˈherəsē/
    noun
    1. belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (especially Christian) doctrine.
      "Huss was burned for heresy"
      synonyms: dissension, dissent, nonconformity,heterodoxy, unorthodoxy, apostasy,blasphemy...
    Okie dokie...I have put up. And my comment stands.

Good grief. Aren't moderators supposed to be some of the most rational people on the board???

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, so you do understand what it looks like to misrepresent someboby's words and position...

Like when you paraded out your retarded charge of SelPelagianism after I said nothing about any supposed free will.

As long as you do see that you're a hypocrite...

15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    18 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
    19 in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison,
    20 that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water: 1 Pet 3

6 And angels that kept not their own principality, but left their proper habitation, he hath kept in everlasting bonds under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Jude

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalms 68:18 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.

What captivity did he capture? By what, was this captivity, captured?

Eph. 4:8,9 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
    Heb. 2:14,15 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Death has been captured, by the soul Jesus who died, descended into Hades and then ascended, was resurrected. From Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in Hades/Sheol. Those who were captured by death are still dead awaiting their resurrection. As will, those who will be captured by death until: 1 Cor 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; (singular Christ is presently the only on so raised) afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

Souls, people still pass through the gates of Hades, death into Hades. Even those in the church of the living God. But because Jesus has led captivity captive, they are no longer in bondage by the fear of death, the gates of Hades, death shall not prevail against the church of the living God.

Is this not what the word of God states or not?

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heresy | Definition of Heresy by Merriam-Webster
    www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/heresy
    Merriam‑Webster
    a belief or opinion that does not agree with the official belief or opinion of a particular religion.

So, once again you are proven wrong.

And once again I challenge you to put up or shut up. Post a quote from me that indicates I believe having a non-traditional view of hell results in a person being lost.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is the right question to ask! Paul, in Ephesians 4:8 is quoting Psalm 68:18. The context of Psalm 68 is that the "captivity" from which He led them out is sin, Satan, the world, death, and every spiritual enemy, whom Christ conquered and triumphed over on the cross.

So, if an uninformed person understands the "captivity" to be the OT saints prior to the resurrection, then they must believe that every OT saint was an enemy of God, and a minion of sin, Satan, the world, death, etc.

19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appears to me that the two following say the same thing.

Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead, dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. Rom 6:9
    Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, from Eph 4:8