1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Doctrines of Grace and the preaching of the Gospel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

All I can say is that if you went to a Bible College and you do not easily see the MANY errors of Reformed Theology, you need to get your money back, because you were absolutely ripped off.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So are you saying that you could correctly interpret the book of Esther in light of its historical context to present the good news of Jesus. I find no mention of Jesus in that book. Looking back I can see a type of God's salvation but I fail to see how one could look forward as the Jews did and say Jesus is the good news in the OT at that time in history? While they looked forward to the Messiah I am unable to find anything that mentions salvation in Jesus in the OT. Certainly it is directly mentioned in the NT but I do not find that in the OT. If they knew salvation was in Jesus at that time then why the atonement? I believe that is something that came out of the enlightenment period but not out of a study of Judaism during that time.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Herald...if you really want to make a serious commitment to both Christ & NJ then I will help you...providing its NOT SBC:laugh:

4. Herald

Herald New Member

Old Regular, I hope you don't mind if I jump in here and provide an answer for gb93433.

You're right. The Jews of Esther's time would not have known that their future Messiah would be named Jesus. In fact, many aspects of their future Messiah remained clouded in prophetic language. But that does not change the fact that all of God's redeemed (including O.T. saints) are made so through Jesus Christ. We have the privilege of viewing the entire Bible through the lens of the New Covenant. Hebrews tell us that Jesus created all there is (Heb. 1:2). The O.T. does contain vivid word pictures of the coming Messiah (Gen. 3:15; Ps. 22; Is. 53 as examples). The Book of Esther, while not mentioning God, nonetheless is a powerful picture of God's redemption and preservation of His people; a people created by Jesus (once again Heb. 1:2).

In the micro a given verse may not reference Christ, but in the macro it is easy to see the christological theme of the entire Bible.

5. Herald

Herald New Member

Well, I do not live in New Jersey anymore, and that is not likely to change in the near future. I am an undershepherd to a dear flock of saints where I currently live. Of course, I will never say never. If God brought me back to the Garden State my only response would be to obediently follow.

6. Herald

Herald New Member

Winman, I met my lovely bride at Bible college, so I do not consider my time there to be a total loss. Also, my theology changed 10 years after I graduated. They did a good job of indoctrinating me in their theology while I was there.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Actually, I know of a number of young men and women who went to Bible college and were convinced of RT by their study. :)

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you 100% and what you wrote is essentially my point. It seems that for about 100 years there has been little devoted to the study of Judaism in an effort to understand what Jesus taught and so the idea of the community of faith has had little influence on how we live and practice our faith. In essence it leaves the church devoid of the gifts being operative and often people disillusioned. People too often forget that we are not in the world with just God but that evil is also present.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, there are lots of different Bible colleges, many are Reformed, so I am sure they would train a person so as they would believe Reformed theology.

Look at this article by R.C. Sproul;

Now, R.C. Sproul was already a believer before he went to college. What did he believe? He believed faith preceded regeneration. Why? Because that is exactly what the Bible says;

Jhn 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

John 20:31 is plain as day, it says you must believe to have life. Regeneration means to be made alive again. Simple and straightforward, and I could show you another ten or so verses that ALL teach you must first believe to be made alive or born again.

So, it is perfectly natural that this is what R.C Sproul believed. He had to be trained to believe otherwise, and that is exactly what he admits in this article.

He can't show any scripture to support regeneration preceding faith, no Calvinist can. It has NEVER been shown, not once.

But, Calvinists show you a bunch of proof texts like John 3:1-8. Does this say regeneration precedes faith? NOPE, doesn't even mention faith in these verses, yet you will see Calvinists use these verses as proof texts all the time. Truth is, they stop short, because immediately following these verses Jesus plainly says a person must believe to have life or be regenerated.

Jhn 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Calvinists always stop short at verse 8. Faith is not mentioned in the first 8 verses, so no argument supporting regeneration preceding faith can be made from it. But Jesus did not stop talking to Nicodemus at verse 8, he continued on and explained to Nicodemus exactly how he could be regenerated or born again, and this is by believing on Jesus.

So, you can cherry pick scripture to teach error, and this is exactly what many Reformed teachers do.

#89 Winman, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  10. Herald

Herald New Member

From a Reformed Theology perspective the Old Testament is essential to a proper understanding of the New Testament and the New Covenant. God has always had one called out people from the time of Adam. The moral law of God (the innate knowledge of good and evil), which predated the Mosaic law, is still with us today. A proper understanding of the ceremonial law allow us to see how Christ fulfilled that portion of the Law. There is much more, but this is not a discussion on systematic theology.

I'm not sure what you mean by the part of your post that I bolded. I am a cessationist, and do not believe the sign gifts are in operation today. That said, I do believe in the sustaining and equipping power of the Holy Spirit in the lives of believers. The Holy Spirit gives Christians understanding of the Word, and is the power that enables us to minister in the name of Christ.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't think the area needs any more seminary trained people. I don't think either Old Regular or Icono are & they are quite effective.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would contend that not all have equal understanding. If you would believe as the enlightenment folks do then your sole existence depends on God and you alone. That kind of focus and practice leaves everything up to you and God and leaves out those in the community of believers to assist in making right choices and proper understanding of scripture. It also leaves out the idea and practice of evil to destroy. It is very difficult to tell someone they are wrong or give that person counsel if what they believe they "heard" from "God" is true. With that kind of practice there is no room for teachers who explain things well and it provides the person with the idea that they know everything and has all wisdom necessary. The problem is that the person completely fails to recognize wisdom among a community of believers. The person also fails to recognize that evil is active and plays a significant part for failures. Too often those people blame themselves or God for a failure with a complete disregard (although not knowing it) for evil and its play in their lives to destroy. The Christian life is not just us and God alone. It is also the play of evil on our lives too. Too often God is blamed for evil activity. Failures may have nothing to do with anything we do. What happens in this world or to me personally may have nothing to do with me or God but with evil.

13. Herald

Herald New Member

Which is one of the reasons why God has established the offices of the church (pastor/elders and deacons). There is a priesthood of believers, but there is also the need to come under authority in order to lessen the possibility of individual interpretation and being led astray by falsehood.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree and that is what is missing among those who believe that living the Christian life is just about them and God. The Bible teaches that there is a variety of gifts and ministries that should be operative in the body so that all are edified. That is not done when people fail to recognize their place in the body. We not only have a personal responsibility to God but we also are placed in the body and work within a community of believers. In that way "we" are not the focus but are one member of the body.

#94 gb93433, Dec 25, 2012
  15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Looking back at the role of Israel and Judah in Gos's purpose in the Salvation of His people I sure can!

If you look carefully I believe you will find no mention of God.

I can't either but Paul tells us that:
    Galatians 3:8. And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

You need to check in on Job:
    Job 19:25-27
    25. For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
    26. And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
    27. Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

The simple answer to "why the atonement" is that God demanded it. God instituted the passover and all Temple services/sacrifices including the Day of Atonement once each year. Man could only approach God on His terms! We would do well to learn that today!

The atonement was first instituted by God when He made clothes of animal skins to cover Adam and Eve. Their awareness of their nakedness was for some reason not revealed indicative of their sin. The covering made by God required the shedding of innocent blood. Looking back we can understand that this was a foreshadowing of the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ. You should study the Book of Hebrews to get a better understanding of the atonement in the Old Testament and that of Jesus Christ.

You lost me here!

16. OldRegular

Very well said and much appreciated. The Apostle Paul tells us:

Romans 15:4. For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

We cannot comprehend how blessed we are!

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The enlightenment period is a focus on self being sold as a personal relationship with God and that is all that matters. Christianity is a focus on Jesus, within the bigger context of a community of believers. Our life is not just God and us, but also evil plays on that too. Failures cannot just be blamed on God or us, but we may fail because of evil. For example one could be executed because of lies and that has nothing to do with anything else. Satan comes to destroy. There are three parts to the Christian life as the Jews taught during the time of Jesus and James responds to. There is self, God, and the community. Within two of those evil may reside.

I believe that when one looks at the context of what Jesus taught is the background of what the people knew and practiced in Judaism. In Judaism self was not all that important, but rather the community. It is the same way in Christianity. Often we forget the impact of the Christian community and focus on self. If I cannot love another in the community then I lack love. Our faith is practiced not with self but in the context of the community. I can spend my time as a monk but if I cannot love those who are in the faith then I do not know God.

Because of the enlightenment period Christianity has become focused on self and God and does not include the community.

#97 gb93433, Dec 25, 2012
  18. OldRegular

There was a time in my life as a Christian when the idea of God choosing some to Salvation in Jesus Christ was repugnant to me. In time the study of Scripture, my increased understanding of myself, and to some extent my observation of other people had a profound affect on my understanding of Scripture and the Grace of God.

I believe the one verse of Scripture, a passage my father quoted to me from time to time, that really started me on the road to understanding Scripture and from there the Doctrines of Grace is the following:

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

I believe that once people really understand the Doctrines of Grace they will heartily embrace them. Simply put the Doctrines of Grace magnify the Grace of God!

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

An explamnation goes beyond what Calvin taught and back into what Jesus taught. Jesus said many are called but few are chosen.

20. Herald

Herald New Member

They do indeed.

It is a hard teaching for many to accept. For some they are in churches that view the Doctrines of Grace, and those who hold to them, to be outside of the Christian faith. They lump us in with Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and Roman Catholics. We are to be avoided at all costs. Unless you have the unhappy providence of having this type as a family member, you won't run into them all that often. The Baptist Board is an enigma of sorts. It is not representative of what the typical Baptist faces day in an day out.

All we can do is to remain faithful to the truth and not grow weary in well doing.