1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Dog headed for the Pound

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by BroTom64, Sep 15, 2006.

1. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Duane 'Dog' Chapman Arrested in Hawaii[/FONT]
    http://apnews.myway.com//article/20060915/D8K59Q0O4.html

I posted this just to post the title.
    I was torn:
    Duane in the Dog House.
    Big Dog to go to the Big House.
    Dog leaves mess in southern neighbor's yard.
    Sometimes you just can't help yourself.

HONOLULU (AP) - TV reality star Duane "Dog" Chapman and two co-stars on his show were arrested Thursday in Hawaii on charges of illegal detention and conspiracy in the bounty hunters' capture three years ago of a cosmetics company heir.
    Chapman, son Leland Chapman and associate Timothy Chapman were taken into custody and did not resist arrest, said Mark Hanohano, U.S. Marshal for the district of Hawaii. "It went down without incident," Hanohano said.

The charges stem from Chapman's capture of Max Factor heir Andrew Luster on June 18, 2003, in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, said Marshals spokeswoman Nikki Credic in Washington.

Charges have been pending against the three since local police in Mexico arrested them shortly after they roped in Luster. They posted bail but never returned to Puerto Vallarta for their court hearing on July 15, 2003, Credic said. Mexican authorities demanded that the Chapmans transfer Luster to Mexican police. Their refusal to do so led to their initial arrest.

#1 BroTom64, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2006
  2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The United States Federal Government should not send ANY US citizen to Mexico to face any charges (period). The US government certainly should not send heavily armed agents into a person's house to help Mexico.

Just another reason why I am voting for Donald Duck...:tongue3:
    [​IMG]

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Why not? Don't we have an extradition treaty with them?

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If Dog makes bail, the new theme song wil be . . .

"Who let the dog out? Who let the dog out? Woof! Woof!"

5. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Why did they not extradite Andrew Luster? They did not sent their police to capture and extrodite Luster for commiting a real crime here. But we will send our police to arrest Chapman for the crime of capturing a criminal and bringing him to justice.

I would have told Mexico that if they wanted Chapman, they should send bounty hunters to Hawaii to capture him. Now that would have been irony.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's a good question - why didn't they?

It would have been ironic, but do we really want Mexican bounty hunters hunting freely in America?

7. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I find it ironic that the Mexican police did not have a problem with Dog until he would not release Andrew Luster back to their custody. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that Luster was an heir to a very large fortune. I mean we don't hear stories of how corrupt their system is for nothing. Personally, as evil as Luster is I am glad that he was brought back here instead of being released to the Mexican police and "lost" in the system.

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I agree with Filmproducer and think he was paying somebody off.

Thats the point. Would Mexico send bounty hunters to Hawaii to pick up a fugitive wanted for the crime of bounty hunting in another country. AND if they did would we have to send bounty hunters to Mexico to pick up their bounty hunters for picking up our bounty hunters and then would ...............well you get the point :laugh:

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know, and don't care. The "justice" system in Mexico is not capable of giving these men a fair trial and we cannot be sure that they will even be treated fairly. Thus any treaty we have with them should be ignored.

The heavily armed US Marshalls that tore into his home in the early morning hours was, in my book, a violation of his civil rights. He was not charged with any crime in the United States, nor even a serious crime in Mexico (unless getting a rapist off the street is a crime). He did a good deed and the United States government should not help the Mexican government persecute a man for doing good. Both governments should thank him.

I think the show of force (etc) was the federal governments "revenge" for him getting to the rapist before they did/could. He made them look bad and now they got him back. I really think this has alot to do with the way the case has been handled.

ps...if I am not mistaken Mexico often refuses extradition of criminals back to the US for trial (and many of those are real criminals).

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, it's all about dollars. They never arrested the criminal we sought in Mexico but we cooperate with one of our citizens. I would feel like America turned their back on me if I were Dog.

I agree he should satisfy the courts but that part sucks.

On a second note, I have always been in favor of international bounty hunters since us poor folks stay in this country but the rich and famous simply flee. I don't believe there should be a safe place when there is a warrant out for you.

11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Martin, I agree with everything you said except the above. I dont think the feds care who gets the fugitives and I dont even think they had a chance to get him since they could not just pack up and go to Mexico to get him. The Feds and the states use bounty hunters to get their fugitives all the time. It is a benifit to them to do so. On top of that the US Marshalls could have arrested him as soon as he did not show up for court in Mexico years ago. I mean it is not like he was hidding or anything. He was on TV.

So why the force. Well the Marshalls are just men and women like you and me. When they get a warrent to arrest somebody for a fellony that the suspect may or may not resist may or may not try to hurt an officer to escape. The men and women who want to go home to their familes prepair for the worst. They do their jobs with the expectation that the person with a felony warent will try to hurt them and then hope they will not need to use the force they are displaying.

If it was your job to enforce felony warents, I think you would do the same thing. It does not mean that you have any vengence against the person. It just means that you are prepaired for the worst.