1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Early Particular Baptists were Protestant

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Martin Marprelate, Aug 31, 2016.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't believe that I charged you with "quoting" from Paedobaptists but with using arguments that have their ULTIMATE source with paedobaptists.

You reject the personal testimony of Knolly. You reject as primary evidence that providing church records prior to 1640 would be suicide. You then use law records as evidence to demand there should be other records when in fact those very law records demonstrate why there wouldn't be any other law records. You reject Spilsbury's testimony about the significance of baptism as an absolute essential for the constitution of a true church of Christ and then throw out the canard or red herring that you don't believe baptism should be essential for the "Christian faith" which neither Spilsbury, the associational records or I ever asserted should be as we are talking about the constitution of a true church not true christian faith. Where is your "proper historical research"???? I don't find any. The so-called "scientific method" for historical research can never find the evidence simply because its premise is flawed from the very start - it demands what the circumcstances SHOULD NOT allow because the laws would naturally prevent that kind of evidence and then rejects the only possible evidences that SHOULD BE accepted in light of the laws in force. Finally, it accepts Paedobaptist testimonies, perversions until clear evidence by Baptists vindicate their claims. What I find is a theological bias that is trying to support the title of the OP.

I don't believe that I charged you with "quoting" from Paedobaptists but with using arguments that have their ULTIMATE source with paedobaptists.

2. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I would be glad to send you a free copy if you pay the shipping expenses. I will give you my mailing address privately.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The mode of baptism practiced by the Anabaptists has caused a fiery debate. Protestant historians claim that there was no prescribed mode, that the Anabaptists insisted only upon the candidate, not upon a certain mode, therefore they might have regarded it – immersion, pouring or sprinkling – as a matter of indifference, just as the Reformers.

The Mennonites today practice pouring, and the Mennonite historians are inclined to regard immersion as being an exception from the general custom. The Baptists practice immersion exclusively, and their historians try to prove the fact that this was the only way the Anabaptists practiced baptism. What can we learn from history?

After Grebel’s party separated from Zwingli on January 17th, 1525, they met at Zollikon, a village near Zurich where they performed the rite of believer’s baptism, most probably on January 21st, at night. An anonymous Chronicle, which began to be written in 1560s, called The Large Chronicle of the Hutterian Brethren, also known as The Moravian Chronicle, records that Blaurock was baptized by Grebel by pouring, and in turn, he baptized the same way all those present. The accuracy of the report has been debated for a long time. The record came most probably from oral tradition and was about 40 years removed from the actual event. It also should be noted that the account is not given by the mainstream Evangelical Anabaptists, but by their Hutterian offshoot, which were in several points in direct conflict with the former. There is no direct testimony of any of the persons present at that event to confirm the testimony of the Chronicle. However, there is positive proof as to the later practice of several of the persons involved in the event.

A month after Grebel reportedly was baptized by pouring, he was found in the canton of St. Gall, preaching and teaching adult immersion on profession of faith as the only valid baptism. Kessler, the reformed preacher from St. Gall, bears witness to this, telling about: “Wolfgang Ulimann, how he being taught earlier by Laurence Hochrutiner against infant baptism, pressed forward on a journey to Schaffhausen to Conrad Grebel, and coming through him to such a high knowledge of Anabaptism, would not be merely watered with a dish with water, but, fully unclothed and naked, he was drawn under and covered over out in the Rhine by Grebel” (Sabbata, vol. 1, p. 266 – translated from German). [It should be noted that being naked was not part of the rite, but they practiced it sometimes, in isolated cases, when they baptized at rivers, when the candidates did not have another change of clothes]. Immersion is here called “a high knowledge of Anabaptism.” In this knowledge they rejected sprinkling or pouring. It should be noted that it was not Ulimann’s previous knowledge that made him unwilling to be baptized by pouring, but the knowledge he received from Grebel. It would be strange, to say the least, for Grebel to strongly reject in February what he practiced in January. Moreover, the season of Ulimann’s baptism was winter. Considering the medieval man’s fear of cold water, if they thought the mode was not important, they would have used anything but immersion in the freezing cold waters of the Rhine. So we are inclined to doubt the report that Grebel baptized by pouring.

Furthermore, Arx, the Swiss historian, writes about the practice of Grebel in St. Gall: “They [Grebel and Hochrutiner] sought to persuade everybody to allow themselves to be baptized once more and preached in St. Gallen under the linden trees of Multerthore, in fields and forests. They were so successful that the people of the St. Gall territory, from Appenzell and from Toggenburg swarmed to the city of St. Gall asking about the baptistery and allowing themselves to be baptized there. The number of converts became so great that the baptistery could not contain the multitude of the candidates for baptism and they had to use the streams and the Sitter river; to which on Sundays those who desired baptism walked in similar numbers, their march in procession making them to be immediately noticed” (Geschichten des Kantons St. Gallen, vol. 2, p. 501 – translated from German).

These events took place in March. The baptistery was a great wooden cask. “Augustus Naef, Secretary to the Council of St. Gall, in a work published in 1850, records the success of the Baptist movement. He says: ‘They baptized those who believed with them in rivers and lakes, and in a great wooden cask in Butcher's Square before a great crowd’” (Christian, Ibid., p. 119). The only reason they needed a cask and not a dish was because they practiced immersion.

Zwingli also bears witness to the practice of baptism among the Anabaptists when he sarcastically answers them: “Good news! Let’s all go for a plunge in the Limmat!” (Verduin, Ibid., p. 217). Quoting Manz, who spoke of baptism as “going under,” Zwingli said: “Let him who talks about ‘going under’ go under [the water]” (Ibid.). His words inspired the law issued by the Council who stated: “Qui mersus fuerit mergatur,” Him who dipps shall be dipped.” Under this law Manz perished having been sentenced to drowning in the waters of the river Limmat (Christian, Ibid., p. 122).

In the southern German territories, the Anabaptists practiced immersion. “The Anabaptist leaders, Hubmaier, Denck, Hetzer, Hut, likewise appeared in Augsburg, and gathered a congregation of eleven hundred members. They held a general synod in 1527. They baptized by immersion. Rhegius stirred up the magistrate against them: the leaders were imprisoned, and some executed”(Schaff, Ibid., vol. VII, p. 377).

Jarrel quotes the definition Hubmaier gives to baptism in Christian Baptism of Belivers: “To baptize in water is to cover the confessor of his sins in external water, according to the divine command, and to inscribe him in the number of the separate upon his own confession and desire” (Ibid., p. 200).

A few years later, Menno says: “…after we have searched ever so diligently, we shall find no other baptism besides dipping in water [doopsel inden water] which is acceptable to God, and maintained in his word”(Robinson, Ibid., p. 499).

The Protestants generally looked with indifference upon the mode, but they nevertheless preffered immersion. Luther recommended it. When defining the word baptism,Zwingli wrote: “First it is used for the immersion in water whereby we are pledged individually to the Christian life”(G.W. Bromiley, Ibid., p. 132). The Schleitheim confession does not mention the mode, but this because the Anabaptists were not condemned on account of practicing immersion, not because they regarded the mode as indifferent.

Baptism was important to the Anabaptists because of its meaning. “The baptism of a believer is a symbol of the sinking in the death of Christ and of being raised again (“new birth”) in His resurrection. No one can come into the Kingdom unless he be born again (John 3:3), and this was the spiritual event symbolized by water baptism into the community” (Littell, Ibid., p. 84). Immersion was the only mode of baptism that could properly symbolize “the sinking in the death of Christ” and the raising in His resurrection. Neither pouring nor sprinkling of water symbolizes properly the spiritual event portrayed in baptism.

The proofs in favor of immersion are overwhelming. If there were indeed exceptions from immersion in Anabaptist practice, these were scarce and were due to the transition period of the persons involved from Catholicism or Protestantism to Anabaptism.

The Anabaptists considered adults only as proper candidates for baptism, as a certain understanding of the responsibilities of a Christian was required; they thought the water to be a mere symbol of inward washing and cleansing; they thought immersion to be the proper picture of the inward work of the Spirit of Christ in regeneration; and they considered that only churches like theirs were baptizing and doing Christ’s work aright. - By Raul Enyedi

http://www.abaptistvoice.com/English/Books/WhyBaptistsAreNotProtestants.html

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find myself with a little time so I will reply to kust one or two of your points.
    Perhaps, but it's a cheap and easy-to-make debating point that is unworthy of you. The modern books I have read on this subject are by men like Michael Haykin and James Renihan, both Baptists and the source books I have read are also by Baptists. However, a proper historian will always seek for other written records, and I have been looking at the court records of the time, Foxe's Book of Martyrs and whatever I can find.
    I do not reject it; I find it contradictory, as I shall show in a moment, which makes me look elsewhere
    But there are church records for that era, as I shall show.
    The court records show that people were being punished as Lollards, yet none of them show that these Lollards were practising credobaptism. Were the Baptists all smarter than the others so that none of them got caught? If so, how come that in Bloody Mary's reign, two thirds of all those burned were Anabaptists? Your problem is that you are determined that the only true churches are Baptist and you ignore all evidence to the contrary. When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail.

Now here is a problem that I have. I learn that Hanserd Knollys was the Vicar of a church in Lincolnshire until 1631 when he resigned because he felt he could no longer use the cross in baptism or continue "admitting wicked persons to the Lord's Supper." So by that time he was embracing Congregational views but there is no evidence that he was a Baptist. Around 1638, he was in Boston, New England. There he ran into problems for alleged antinomianism, but was described by Cotton Mather many years later as a 'godly Anabaptist.' One might suppose that this would mean that he was a Baptist at this time, but 'anabaptist' was a term that Presbyterians used at this time for Congregationalists of all sorts and Mather may have been in error anyway or speaking about his subsequent career.

He returned to England in 1641 and in that year he co-authored a tract called A glimpse of Sion's Glory, or, the Churches' beautie specified.....' You can find it here: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=eebo;idno=A47560.0001.001 Kiffin initials the introduction WK.
    The book is promoting independent church government, but the point is that it was co-authored not only with William Kiffin, but also with Thomas Goodwin, Jeremiah Burroughs and someone called Jose Glover. Goodwin and Burroughs were paedobaptist Congregationalists; Goodwin was at the Westminster Assembly a few years later. So the point is this: either Kiffin and Knollys were not yet Baptists or they were happy to share a book about Church government with Congregationalists.

Finally, it appears that Knollys was worshipping at the Southwark Independent church from 1641-1644. In 1644, he told the Pastor Henry Jessey that he was not prepared to have his child baptized, and requested that some meetings take place so that "They [the church] might satisfie him, or he rectify them if amiss therein." So it seems that Knollys did not become a Baptist until this point, which would explain why he did not sign the 1644 Confession, but did sign the 1646. Interestingly, Knollys baptized Jessey in 1645 so the 'meetings' must have been fruitful.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Martin, my problem is that I allow the New Testament to dictate what are essentials to be a true New Testament congregation of Christ but you allow tradition to dictate what you regard as a true church of Christ. Can you find any congregation in the New Testament containing pedobaptists? No, but do you accept such a church as New Testament? Yes! Can you find any congregation in the New Testament that is not composed of immersed believers? No, but you do accept churches composed of sprinkled and poured infants. Indeed, all (vast majority) members in pedobaptist congregations began their membership as infants.

Martin, your "problem" gives far more credibility to Knolly's testimony. Your quotes prove he did know the early Baptists intimately even though he may not have been one of them. Hence, what better testimony for their origin can you possibly ask for??? I fail to see the problem! You think Knolly is lying???

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Martin, I am referring to the original sources not the editors using those sources. I know plenty of "Baptists" writers that use paedobaptist source materials. I don't see it as a "cheap and easy-to-make debating point" IF Baptists (you, or Baptists you read) regard the testimony of the enemies of Baptists more credible than the very Baptists they are researching. I know from reading many modern "Baptist" followers of William Whitsitt that is precisely what they do.

The overall research of Dr. Christian on Baptist origins in England still stands solid.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The real issue is whether substantive Christianity as characterized in the book of Acts ceased to exist after the first century. At very minimum those practicing the essentials of Matthew 28:19-20 Christ promises to be with "all the days" until end of the age. Gospel salvation (Mk. 16:15) and baptism are explicitly identified as part of that promise.

This is not merely a promise that salvation or real Christians would continue but the ordinance of baptism as "commanded" by Christ would continue "all the days of the age."

There is no possible way that paedobaptist institutions can be recognized as New Testament congregations IF the New Testament defines the essentials of a New Testament congregation. Now again lets throw out the canard, the red herring that I am denying the salvation status of paedobaptists (although I am denying every single solitary infant at the point of baptism into their institution).

Unless you believe church membership is equivalent to salvation lets drop the absurd idea that denying New Testament church status to paedobaptist institutions is denying their Christian profession.

The Masonic lodge requires a profession of faith in "a" god. In America those assemblies are made up primarily of professing Christians who regularly and habitually assemble together, but are we going to grant New Testament congregation status to Masonic assemblies??????? I tell you that you MUST admit them as New Testament congregations if you admit paedbaptist as such and if you deny one you must deny the other as both receive membership upon religious profession. Both are assemblies of professed Christians in America. Both conduct religous services as Masons perform funeral services including prayer.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I concur with this statement.

9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoever suggested that he did not know early Baptists? Not I. Of course he did. Don't put words in my mouth, please. Nor have I accused Knollys of lying. There appears to be a contradiction is his testimony and I (and you if you are genuinely interested in the truth as opposed to a party line) need to do further research. His memory may have played him false or he may be being quoted out of context, or other sources may be wrong. I don't know. I shall check it out as I have time.

10. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, I have never stated that you do. But will you allow visiting paedobaptists to share in the Lord's Supper with you? In Britain in the '70s, there was the ridiculous spectacle of Strict Baptist churches inviting Dr Lloyd-Jones to come and preach for them when they wouldn't have allowed him to share in the Lord's Supper. I recently heard Joel Beeke say that he speaks in more Baptist churches than Presbyterian ones. How many of them, I wonder, would refuse him communion? If he's not good enough for fellowship at the Lord's table, how come he's good enough to preach?

Perhaps it is worth quoting from the appendix to the 1689 Confession:

"We are not insensible that as to the order of God's house, and entire communion therein there are some things wherein we (as well as others) are not at a full accord among ourselves, as, for instance; the known principle, and state of the consciences of diverse of us, that have agreed in this Confession is such: that we cannot hold Church-communion, with any other than baptized believers, and Churches constituted as such; yet some others of us have a greater liberty and freedom in our spirits that way; and therefore we have purposely omitted the mention of things of that nature, that we might concur, in giving this evidence of our agreement, both among our selves, and with other good Christians, in those important articles of the Christian Religion, mainly insisted on by us."

You go your way on this matter, brother, and let me go mine.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another issue is that the "godly and learned men" of whom TheBiblicist speaks seem to be (if I understand the context of his source correctly) Anabaptists and not Baptists. That Anabaptist doctrine existed prior to, during, and after the Reformation is not (to my knowledge) debated. It is reasonable that men were aware of such doctrine as we would call "baptistic". But while Anabaptist and Baptist doctrine does met on several points, they also depart on others. At best the article he quotes points to the fact that baptistic doctrine existed prior to Baptist doctrine (Baptist doctrine incorporating truths from both Anabaptist and Reformed teachings). The point being that while Anabaptist doctrine may fall within the Baptist distinctive, most Baptists (to include TheBiblicist based on previous discussions of the Atonement) would fall outside of Anabaptist faith.

#31 JonC, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Martin, my quote from Knolly is dated 1645. So what is the problem? You have him baptizing Jessey in 1645 and signing the 1646 declaration. So, I don't see what the problem is?

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Here is where apostasy among English Baptists began. 1 Corinthians 5 makes it very clear that the Lord's Supper is a congregational rather than a Christian ordinance and the participants are regulated by church discipline.

Paul is using the preparation of the Jewish house for observing the passover. The head of the house would lead the members of the household in a candlelight search throughout the house to remove all food leaven and then the preparation of the dough would be without leaven. Paul is instructing the church at Corinth to do housecleaning before they could rightly observe the Lord's Supper as a congregation. First, they must remove the leaven from their congregational membership so that the "WHOLE lump" becomes a "NEW lump":

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
    7 ¶ Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened.

He is referring to what is required to participate in the Lord's Supper as "Christ OUR PASSOVER is sacrifced FOR US.....Let us keep the feast....with unleavened bread..."

The only observance by Christians of "Christ" as "our passover" and the only "feast" we observe with "unleavened bread" is the Lord' Supper. However, the application is to the congregational body of Christ at Corinth "as YE are unleavened"

The only "WHOLE LUMP" that wherein such leaven can be purged out so that the "whole lump" becomes a "new lump" is the local church body. Try obeying this command for your universal invisible church body! Try purging out a "brother" (v. 11) from your "WHOLE lump" so that your "WHOLE lump" becomes a "NEW lump"!!! This is utterly impossible for your universal invisible church body filled with unbaptized Christians. No New Testament congregation can scripturally observe "open" communion as it violates the very symbol of "unleavened bread" that demands even that a "brother" who is unfit to observe the Supper is to be removed by church discipline so that the "WHOLE lump" can become a "new lump." The unleavened bread represents the spiritual condition of the local congregational body observing it. The Lord's Supper is an institutional ordinance that has its only concrete proper observation with the concrete congregational body that can exercise discipline over the partakers. Those who oppose this restriction do so only on the basis of silence and inferences rather than on clear explicit precepts and/or illustrations as given in 1 Cor. 5.

Removal of this leaven from the "whole lump" is spelled out in verses 4-5, 12-13

So no, our church would nether allow a pedobaptist to preach in our pulpit much less observe the Lord's Supper with us as that pollutes the symbolism of "unleavened" bread as leaven is a symbol of FALSE DOCTRINE as much as false practices.

Please do not misrepresent my position here. The person the congregational body of Christ at Corinth is to remove before they can scripturally observe the Lord's Supper is a "BROTHER" (v. 11). This passage is about scriptural preparation to observe the Lord's Supper by a New Testament congregation. This is about OPENLY KNOWN sin whereas chapter 11 deals with UNKNOWN sin in their midst. A Paedobaptist is living in OPENLY KNOWN sin as every Baptist knows that such a person is not fit to be a member of New Testament congregations much less partake of symbolism that demands spiritual and doctrinal unity of the "WHOLE" body observing it.

Martin, I know you will not like my exposition of 1 Corinthians 5 but I challenge anyone on this forum to demonstrate that my exposition of this passage is incorrect. I just gave a very simple exposition but I am prepared to give a much more detailed exegetical based if called for.

#33 The Biblicist, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The term "Anabaptist" takes in a great deal of diverse groups within the Reformation period. I believe that all of our early Baptist Historians, and the work of Dr. Christian which identifies early Particular English Baptists with evangelical Anabaptists in the late 16th century still stands solid. I don't think you can classify all Anabaptists by some Continental Anabaptists doctrine of the Atonement. There were other Evangelical Anabaptists that were close to the Reformers.

#34 The Biblicist, Sep 8, 2016
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you need to be preparing for class correct? There should be some doctrinal stance on some Landmark web site that explains it....kindly just give some direction to it .....I will read up on it.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it pretty safe to classify Anabaptist theology as including at least a form of Christus Victor theory of Atonement, a communal withdrawal from the "world", an individual separation and (while not necessarily as pronounced as Grebel) perhaps even an idea of pacifism.

My point is that while an Anabaptist may meet those qualities we call a "Baptist distinctive", the Anabaptist distinctive would exclude most Baptists. I'm not talking about Continental Anabaptist doctrines of the Atonement but about baptistic doctrines in exclusion of Reformed positions typically held by Baptists today. Do you have evidence to the contrary (Anabaptist theology that includes a Reformed view of the Atonement, doesn't include such separation as typically associated with their theology, etc.)?

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you've heard of Mark Dever? He served under Roy Clements at Eden Baptist in the UK in the early 1990s:

Mark Dever - What I Can and Cannot Live With as a Pastor

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Have you looked at the early confession of faith of the Waldenses in Samuel Morelands account? There is a pre-reformation dated confession that pretty well spells out Reformed theology before the Reformation.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The early confessions do spell out much of what the Reformers affirmed (which is to be expected). What I mean is that there are beliefs within Reformed churches that would exclude them from holding Anabaptist theology (I fully agree that an Anabaptist could fit within the baptist distinctive, but a Baptist would fall short of agreement in terms of Anabaptist distinction). In other words, our criteria is not the same as their criteria (we should deal with the Anabaptist, the Waldenses, the Donatists, etc., within their own context and not try to stretch their "orthodoxy" to incorporate our theologies).

#39 JonC, Sep 8, 2016
  20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, I think today we tend to define Anabaptism in ways that may not fit historically, probably because of who the majority thinks "continue to be" Anabaptists. Narrowly, Anabaptists are "rebaptizers" and broadly, Anabaptists were almost anyone established churches could get away with calling that and labeling them as heretics.

One good example of what I mean is the Anabaptist kingdom of Munster. They were radicals run amuck, but Anabaptists nonetheless (e.g. a disciple of Jan Matthias, the instigator of Munster, baptized Obbe Philips, who ordained and probably baptized Menno Simons.). The generally-thought-of non-resistance pacifist label certainly wouldn't fit the Munster Anabaptists.