1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the easy answer to which bible is the real one

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Rginald Woodbridge, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the ERV New Testament was based on the work of Edwin Palmer. I have made that point numerous times on the BB.

Per Wikipedia, Charles John Ellicott said "that there were at most 64 readings in Palmer's text, in agreement with the 1881 text of Fenton John Anthony Hort and Brooke Westcott."

2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess all those prior to the KJV were doomed to hell. Shucks!

3. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And just think, when Joseph Smith got the book of Mormon from the angel, it was conviently written in the Elizabethan style of the KJV. That proves to me that the KJV is the only one. :rolleyes: Confused O O :eek: Cautious

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Palmer's text, like Scrivener's text, was compiled after the fact to give the source of textual variants from the Textus Receptus.

Palmer edited the Greek Testament With the Readings Adopted by the Revisers of the Authorized Version, producing a Greek New Testament text representing the basis of the Revised Version. In the 1881 Revision it was stated "A revision of the Greek text was the necessary foundation of our work; but it did not fall within our province to construct a continuous and complete Greek text." Palmer's text was a post facto text, designed to meet the need of showing the Greek behind the decisions of the English committee. :)

5. Rginald Woodbridge

Your history is what I call school stuff......you fail to understand that whilst it may not be the official Schhol taught Dark Ages.....Who do you think tried to assanitate King JAMES IN THE GUNPOWDER PLOT....Guy Fawkes a good Roman Catholic who placed over 200 bags of dynamite under where he would be speaking..gaining entry through the London Docks under the Towerebridge.....YOU PEOPLE AMAZE ME......You are so unrelenting as you hang onto utter nonsense......Just because you dont understand the struggle Queen Elizabeth the first had with catholic Spain as the Armada was sent to attack England....and the catholic struggle to keep killing those who had the textus receptus manuscripts...and how westcott horte...who believed in purgatort....declared Mary the mother of Jesus as Co mediator with Jesus..and it was them who lead the revision committe which gave us a bible that attacked the K.J.V......Every revival has stemmed from that book......you name a great bible preacher of last 400 years till the K.J.V[GODS WORD] was silenced as it is being done today......They all were inspired by that book.....and Erasmus was a disciple of Origen the great gnostic who headed the schoolof gnostics in the time the VATICANUS manuscripts were done...you are a very pro-catholic......easy to see by your words...ok answer this...ARE PRACTICING CATHOLIS SAVED?..WHAT SAY YE MY FRIEND...A YES OR A NO.......not a dance with only God knows......he does but by their fruit so do we...so answer me that question please[/QUOTE]

6. Rginald Woodbridge

You are a very pro-catholic...do you believe a catholic who practices catholicism is saved.....if you do then you are definately wrong there..if not..then why read the works of decieved people..who worship mary...believe in purgatory..never repent..in confession there told to say hail marys or our fathers which save no one........nothing but blood of Jesus..amen so ANSWER PLEASE

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the Encyclopedia Britannica the Dark Ages were from approximately 500-1000 A.D.
    You're mistaken. The following are examples:
    Twentieth Century N.T.
    N.W. Translation
    ASV
    Goodspeed's N.T.
    Charles Williams N. T. (in general)
    Lattimore's N.T.

8. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ad hominem...

Ad hominem. He has never said such. Proof?

What about those who died pre-1611?

9. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

So the NWT was actually translated from manuscripts????

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's pretty easy to see the dates in history and see that what you are stating here does not square with the facts. I'm sorry that you have been taught wrongly and you have embraced that. I will pray that God will show you just how strong He is and how He has kept His Word from the moment it was penned to today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

This is exactly why I have always felt that the Book of Mormon was a very worthwhile book to read, and follow. Thumbsup

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not post falsehoods about me or anyone else on this forum. Final warning.

Nobody under discussion, and especially Westcott and Hort, worships Mary. That is a falsehood.

Nobody under discussion, and especially Westcott and Hort, believes in purgatory. That is a falsehood.

Nobody under discussion, and especially Westcott and Hort, goes to confession. That is a falsehood. And the pronoun is spelled "their" - 3rd grade English grammar.

My answer is that posting falsehoods about anyone on this forum is a banning offense. And posting statements about historic figures requires you either document your claim or withdraw it.

So, either document your above claims, or withdraw them, and offer the forum a sincere apology or find another forum to spew your vile falsehoods. This forum, as with all ethical persons, is intolerant of character assassination.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The concept of a Dark Age originated with the Italian scholar Petrarch (Francesco Petrarca) in the 1330s, and was originally intended as a sweeping criticism of the character of Late Latin literature.[Mommsen, Theodore (1942). "Petrarch's Conception of the 'Dark Ages'". Speculum (Cambridge MA: Medieval Academy of America) 17 (2): 226–242.][Thompson, Bard (1996). Humanists and Reformers: A History of the Renaissance and Reformation. Grand Rapids, MI: Erdmans. p. 13.]

Petrarch regarded the post-Roman centuries as "dark" compared to the light of classical antiquity. The actual term "Dark Age" derives from the Latin saeculum obscurum, originally applied by Caesar Baronius in 1602 to a tumultuous period in the 10th and 11th centuries.[Dwyer, John C., Church history: twenty centuries of Catholic Christianity, (1998) p. 155. Baronius, Caesar. Annales Ecclesiastici, Vol. X. Roma, 1602, p. 647]

Later, historians expanded the term to refer to the transitional period between Roman times and the High Middle Ages (c. 11th–13th century), including the lack of Latin literature, and a lack of contemporary written history, general demographic decline, limited building activity and lack of material cultural achievements in general.

Now, can we get back to the actual discussion?

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care what you call it. It is history. The way it actually happened. Not the way a bunch of ignorant revisionists wished it had happened.

Yeah, yeah, we all know about the 5th of November, which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with the current discussion.
    That is my question to you! Why do you hang on to the same lies after it has been explained to you that they are lies?

Elizabeth I's struggle with Catholic Spain was predicated on the fact she succeeded her sister, Mary, as Queen. Her sister Mary was the daughter of Catherine of Aragon, who was the daughter of their Catholic Magisties Queen Isabella I of Castile and King Ferdinand II of Aragon. All of which has nothing at all to do with the Dark Ages.

Erasmus was a Catholic, as was Cardinal Francisco Jiménez de Cisneros. They are the ones who published the Textus Receptus. In fact Erasmus obtained an exclusive four-year publishing privilege from Pope Leo X in 1516. Cardinal Jimenez's Complutensian Polyglott Textus Receptus was published under a Papal imprimatur.

Hort. His name is spelled Hort.

Not true. A blatant falsehood. Withdraw the falsehood and apologize.

Not true. A blatant falsehood. Withdraw the falsehood and apologize.

You have to be kidding, right? Erasmus lived from 1466 to 1536 and Origen lived from 185 to 254 AD. In other words Erasmus missed being a disciple of Origen by about 1200 years.

Also that nonsense about Origen and Vaticanus being contemporary? Not even close. Origen died in 254 AD and Codex Vaticanus was produced in 325-350 AD. Almost 100 years after Origen was dead.

And you are on very thin ice.

Now, apologize for making false statements about me, then either post evidence to support your slander of Westcott and Hort or withdraw your false claims. Enough is enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, here is the definitive answer to the thread title:

The easy answer to which bible is the real one.

All of them. There. Wasn't that easy? All bibles are "real" bibles. I knew they are real because I have several of them on my book shelf.

Now it is undeniable that some are better than others.

Some are better because they are based on a better textform.

Some are better because they are translated using a better translation technique.

But all are the word of God in English. And this can easily be proven. Ask yourself this question, "Can a person get saved reading this bible?" If so, that bible is the real word of God. How do we know that? "Simple" as the thread title says. What is God's definition of "The Holy Scriptures?" 2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

There you have it folks. That is what God says about English translations. If you can get saved reading it, it is a "real" bible, The Holy Scriptures. QED

And that pretty much ends the discussion. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Oh no, here come the billy goat's!: 'But, but, but...'

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. according to Burgon, Wescott and Hort leaned heavily and favored Vaticanus, Sinaiticus and 3 other manuscripts.

2. How many manuscripts are even in existence that contain 1 John chapter 5?

3. While the modern translations are not translated from Wescott and Hort the modern critical texts still lean heavily on the foundational principles Wescott and Hort developed.

4. Psalm 12 is not talking about God preserving his people, it's talking about preserving his word. Besides Psalm 12 is not the only promise to preserve his words

19. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Weren't Abott and Thayer both Unitarians?

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct.

About 350 Greek manuscripts. And out that 350 only Minuscules Codex Montfortianus (Minuscule 61 Gregory-Aland, c. 1520), 629 (Codex Ottobonianus, 14th/15th century), 918 (16th century), 2318 (18th century) contain the comma.

Correct. With the exception of the ERV of 1881, and its American counterpart, the ASV of 1901, no current bible was translated exclusively from the 1881 Greek New Testament published by Westcott and Hort.

So, Jordan, are you saying the KJV is wrong in Psalm 12:6-7? After all, the translation committee included a marginal note indicating "thou shalt preserve them" is referring to the poor and needy of verse 5 and not the "words" of verse 6. Hebrew grammar absolutely forbids it (and God is not so stupid He doesn't understand Hebrew grammar) and the KJV translators even made sure their readers understood what "them" was referring to.

And nobody has claimed bible preservation is not taught elsewhere in the bible. In fact the concept is everywhere in the bible. The point is that the original poster doesn't understand what Psalm 12:6-7 is talking about. (He has proven he doesn't know very much of anything and just keeps repeating lies over and over again ignoring the fact those lies have been shown to be lies over and over again. :( )

Here is a copy of the marginal note in the 1st edition, 1st printing, of the KJV/AV of 1611.
    Psalm_12.7_Margin.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1