1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The economy

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SolaSaint, Jun 22, 2011.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I’m no economist but anyone can see the trouble we are in today. Seems like tons of bad news came to us this week. Did you see where the Postal Service is stopping the funding of matching funds for pensions? There are several cities like Chicago, and states that are running out of money to pay pensions and salaries and some have robbed the funds. The CBO announced that the national debt is now 70% of the GDP and will grow to 101% in 2021 unless we do something. Our administration wants to add to the debt with more stimulus. I hate to leave this wonderful country to our kids in this shape. Can anything be done to reverse this?

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Probably not. I think it is a done deal.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

While this is a national problem I don’t believe it is brought on by the nation as a whole. I believe the blame lies with the church. I don't believe anything humanly possible can be done. The politicians have gotten us in this mess with the blessings and sinful hearts of the people, but the church in America is responsible in my opinion because of its turning from God. I know, not your church or my church or you or me, and that is the problem. We deny our responsibility! I believe that our current situation is of such a nature that it will take God Almighty to correct and I believe that He would only do that if we the church hears his voice.
    If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

#3 freeatlast, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
  4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think several things can be done to reverse this.. But they are too hard when looked at today.. As an example: For illustration sake, lets say that cutting federal expenditures by one half, by whatever the least painful means is, would save the nation. Federal pension programs would be fair game. We now look at our situation and say that it is impossible.. So we don't.. 10 years later, with the consequences of that decision in force, we realize that we not only could have, but should have cut spending.

5. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

It is easy and partly justifiable to place some blame on the church.. But my thinking has been that this nation, its people, have decided to nullify the believers voice, and remove God from our country's decision making system. Not that the Body of Christ avoided its duty, but that the secular world replaced, or took over that responsibility.. Welfare, food stamps, education, unemployment compensation, pension, health care... And of course so many more ways that our government has interfered with our responsibilities.

And know that we still wield enormous restraint on this nations conscience. That will be recognized quickly when we are gone.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [SARCASM ALERT]

Considering the enormous support and $$$ the U.S. has given Israel over the past several decades one would think that the blessings of Genesis 12:3 would come into play sometime soon, eh?

7. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I have no secret data and can only say what I am hearing and what I think I am seeing.... yet like all economic issues, this could be just speculation.

Personally, I think our economy is doing worse than is known or being reported. This is probably closer to this time in 2008 where we knew there were some problems, but found out there were much bigger problems. Here is my rationale.

1. Bernanke's interview yesterday was disturbing. He stated he didn't know what was causing the problems. This either means he knows and can't say, or there is something more underneath the economy that is driving the horrendous economy.

2. The Dem's are mumbling over the need for another stimulus. This has been considered a toxic topic politically, I suspect they may see something more troublesome on the horizon.

3. Economic predictions are based upon the past and how our economy worked in the past. Many economic articles I have read have economists admitting that this is a very different economic scenario than in the past. This baffles me because this is never explained. Granted, with the international scene entirely unstable, this could be what they mean but it seemed to be a domestic issue.

4. Despite our very weak dollar, our exports are not doing well. Normally, a weak dollar produces more exports. Yet, our very weak dollar is not helping our exports very much.

5. Productivity is levelling out as production is declining. The rule of thumb cited the last 6 months to a year was that while America was becoming more productive, once productivity levelled out hiring would pick back up. Rather, productivity has levelled out and employment is not improving at all. This is a worrisome sign. If anything, there seems to be another round of layoffs coming. Thus, optimism this year at a rebound in jobs does not seem to exist.

6. Debt, Debt, Debt, and Debt. Enough said

7. Default, Default, Default, Default. Enough said.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

WHY federal pensions? Cut all pensions in half, IRAs, whatever.

Pull all the troops home from all 100 plus bases. Confiscate all personal assets over a billion dollars.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sometimes you are so funny :laugh:

10. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I don't see how you can confiscate private assets in this nation. Probably, a constitutional convention would have to be undertaken, and fundamental changes would have to be made, to allow that.
    Also, I don't think the fed should have any say in private businesses retirement plans. Yes, I know they do. Let them (retirement plans) stand or fall on there own.

#10 hillclimber1, Jun 23, 2011
  11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I really do not understand why you think the blessing has not been paid in full. We are still a nation and have not been destroyed for our murderous ways (abortion http://www.abort73.com/videos/this_is_abortion/ )and adulterous lifestyles ( http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-christian-divorce-rate-identical-to-national-average-31815/ ) so I would say the debt was paid in full. What we are now reaping is the result of what we have sowed.

#11 freeatlast, Jun 23, 2011
  12. billwald

billwald New Member

In this dispensation God deals with individuals, not nations. There is no more group salvation.

13. billwald

billwald New Member

>I don't see how you can confiscate private assets in this nation.

Probably not. A 100% capital gains tax rate might work.