1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The end justifies the means.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jope, Aug 8, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, Scripture teaches against lying. Your phrase "God hates liars" is simplistic and in error. Since everyone does lie at sometime, does he hate everyone? If He hates everyone, why did He send His Son?

There is a type of person who goes around telling the truth all the time, and uses truth at times to be cruel to others. If I see a girl with buck teeth, it is the truth if I tell her that her teeth look like a donkey's.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Understood, and thanks for the clarification. And agreed; the OP leads to a conclusion that is a very slippery slope.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Rev. 21:8

Rather than justifying lying, the Law teaches God hates liars, thus the Law leads us to Christ to obtain mercy from the wrath of God.

All men are liars.

I said in my alarm,
    “All men are liars.” Psalm 116:11.

and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life. Rev. 21:27

Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.Rev. 22:15

Let the lying lips be mute,
    Which speak arrogantly against the righteous
    With pride and contempt. Psalm 31:18

Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips,
    From a deceitful tongue.

He who conceals hatred has lying lips,
    And he who spreads slander is a fool.

Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord,
    But those who deal faithfully are His delight.

There are six things which the Lord hates,
    Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
    Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
    And hands that shed innocent blood,
    A heart that devises wicked plans,
    Feet that run rapidly to evil,
    19 A false witness who utters lies,
    And one who spreads strife among brothers. Proverbs 6:16-19

Simplistic folk pick and choose which scripture to follow and nullify whatever does not fit. God demonstrated His love for us while we were yet sinners, which includes lying because all men are liars. The assumption that God cannot both hate the lost because they are liars, and love the lost because upon vessels of wrath God has mercy, is mistaken.

The ends never, never, ever justify the means.

#23 Van, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
  4. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey James,

Apologies. I probably could have done this in a less harsh way.

It's something that's been on my mind a lot for a long time, whether or not proverbs 27:5-6 condones this sort of thing.

I certainly don't feel good about our convo, in case you were wondering.