1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The End of Lactose Intolerance - Raw Milk!

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by iq4truth, Feb 9, 2007.

1. iq4truth

iq4truth New Member

My wife learned about this at our homeschool co-op. I knew of this through other sources.

The following snips are from a research paper that I found by Googling "lactose intolerance raw milk."

[Snips]

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f05/web2/mmichalak.html

I have always been skeptical of the modern American farming institution. At this point, it really isn't about farms and farmers; it's business, pure and simple, and as in any large-scale corporation, quality is lost in the search for quantity. It doesn't surprise me, then, that the milk situation in the states is at the same state as that of tomatoes: large quantities of visually appealing, pesticide-laden product that resembles its predecessor not one bit, can last for weeks on shelves, and is sterile of both taste and nutritional value. In the case of milk, the product not only loses almost all of its nutritional value, it also makes it impossible for a good portion of individuals to digest in the first place.

Pasteurization (1) was a process invented in France in 1862 as an alternative to sterilization. In 1886, it was applied to milk, and by the 1920s or thereabouts became the standard treatment for raw milk in the US. Around this time, illnesses contractible through contaminated milk (most notably tuberculosis) were widespread and, instead of tackling the root of the problem—namely, increasing sanitation standards and enforcing them more harshly—it was decided that pasteurization would be instated. This way even "dirty" (2) milk that had been contaminated along the way could be purified enough for human consumption. Presto, the beginning of an industry which focused on the end product rather than the steps required to make it. Grass-fed cows kept in small herds were replaced by huge herds kept in cement bunkers and fed processed feed products pumped full of antibiotics (not to mention other cows, which led to the rise of bovine spongiform encephalopathy). While there were other factors involved in this mass-commodification of the small dairy farm, the end results have been the same. Today's store-bought milk is stripped of natural nutrients, full of chemicals, and difficult to digest.

What does this have to do with lactose intolerance? It's precisely that stripping of nutrients which causes almost all lactose intolerance (as opposed to a true lactose allergy, which is a subject for another paper) since this intolerance is caused by a lack of the enzyme lactase in large enough quantities within the human digestive system to break down lactose, a fairly complex disaccharide found in milk. Raw milk contains harmless bacteria which produce lactase which, in turn, enables the human body to break down and absorb lactose. Pasteurized milk has had all of these bacteria killed off and is therefore lactase-free, but still contains lactose, causing problems for many people who try to drink it.

Why should this be a concern in the US in particular?

[This snip was provided by the InfoQuest* for Truth E-Newsletter.]

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not always is all of the bacteria killed off in pasteurization.

When people started drinking 1 and 2 percent milk the milk companies loved it because they could take the other percent left and make it into cheese and other products. People today are drinking nothing more than what we used to call "blue milk".

Milk today has a number of things added other than just pasteurization.

I do not think people would like to know they are drinking leukocytes in raw milk.

Usually a very good test for bacteria is less than 1000 count. Pasteurized milk is less than 100.

When the suckers from the milk machine fall off the cow and suck up some manure it is nice when the filter keeps the manure and milk from passsing into the tank. It is also at that time that bacteria enters the pipeline and milk though.

Milk years ago was passed through a funnel shaped apparatus which was water cooled and not cooled as it is today by a refrigeration unit immediately.

#2 gb93433, Feb 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2007
  3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

We have purchased "Raw Milk" in the past, but it can only be found at one local health food store, and they are required by law to label it "for pet consumtion only". It's not in the main cooler, you have to ask for it and they will get it from the back. It is just like the milk I used to have as a kid on the dairy farm. Here is another site with more information about "Raw Milk": http://www.realmilk.com/