1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Ending of Mark and Snake Handling

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Oct 16, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have friends who much prefer the KJV. I don't really care what Bible they read as long as they live for Jesus. But so many times I have seen those who make it a big deal destroy more than they gain. In my first church on the first day there was man who said, "Do you know why so many are going to hell? It's because they don't read the King James Bible any more." I had never heard of anyone he led to Christ. In fact his wife would not come to church with him. It was his attitudee that was so abrasive. There were others in that same congregation that prefered the KJV but didn't make it an issue. Not too far from where you live is one of my best friends who pastors about 50 miles from you. He prefers the KJV over the others. But it is never an issue. For several years the chruches he has pastored have gooten the evangelism award from the SBC. The chruches I pastored did too every year I pastored.

It's not about the translation you read as it is about making disciples.

[ October 17, 2004, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: gb93433 ]

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, this is the normal MV tactic. It is called hypocrisy. </font>[/QUOTE]If you can't stand the heat then don't get near the fire.

She's tough. She can handle it don't you think? It not about the number of people but your knowledge.

After all how many did Jesus need to support Him?

3. michelle

michelle New Member

--------------------------------------------------
    It's not about the translation you read as it is about making disciples.

Actually, the disciples can only be as good as the words they rely upon. If their translation is tainted, so also will be their discipleship.

Many unfortunately are too afraid to stand up for what is the truth, and compromise because they feel it unloving and divisive. THis is untrue, and very much a lie made up by Satan to keep others from the truth. Truth is love, and love is truth, and sometimes that truth is hard to swallow and found unloving and abrasive and divisive to many.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The disciples were sent out to preach to people who'd never heard of God whatsoever, let alone Jesus, and since talk is cheap & these people had most likely been courted by the "god of the month" hucksters, witch doctors, shamans, hakims, monks, 'holy' men, seers, priests & priestesses, and every big kahoona and grand muckamuck of every phony religion and every phony god that existed at the time, they had to have PROOF that each of them wasn't just another traveling salesman. They had to have signs that COULDN'T BE DUPLICATED, such as the leprosy - no leprosy miracle. Another key thing was that they were to NOT ASK ANYONE FOR ANYTHING MATERIAL, but to accept what was freely offered to them. This was quite unlike the other holy nabobs who promised some kinda salvation or nirvana for a price.

We see that in Egypt, the court 'magicians' easily duplicated Aaron's rod becoming a snake by their own illusion, but Pharaoh overlooked the next miracle of Aaron's snake swallowing the several other snakes that were approximately the same size as itself! Pharaoh believed M&A had simply duplicated a known trick of his own magicians. Thus, Jesus gave His disciples the power to call on Him to perform unique miracles, especially of healing.

I'm assuming Jesus gave the Apostles power to perform the leprosy miracle He'd given to the 70 others He'd sent forth earlier to the scattered Israelis, as well as HEALING POWER & other signs that couldn't be duplicated.

Michelle:Many unfortunately are too afraid to stand up for what is the truth, and compromise because they feel it unloving and divisive. THis is untrue, and very much a lie made up by Satan to keep others from the truth. Truth is love, and love is truth, and sometimes that truth is hard to swallow and found unloving and abrasive and divisive to many.

There are certain people here who try to make false into true, with circular reasoning, kinda like the cat who tries to make west outta east by traveling east till he arrives at his starting point from the west.

5. natters

natters New Member

michelle said "If their translation is tainted, so also will be their discipleship."

Untrue. It is their interpretation and relationship with God that determines their discipleship, not which publication they lug around.

6. michelle

michelle New Member

michelle said "If their translation is tainted, so also will be their discipleship."

Untrue. It is their interpretation and relationship with God that determines their discipleship, not which publication they lug around.

Uh, it is not only wrong interpretations, but the omittion, or additions, or alterings of the words that make up the message that contribute to wrong interpretations.

michelle

7. michelle

michelle New Member

There are certain people here who try to make false into true, with circular reasoning, kinda like the cat who tries to make west outta east by traveling east till he arrives at his starting point from the west.

You are correct, and you are doing a fine job of this. Too bad you haven't yet looked into the mirror so that you could see this truth in yourself and others.

michelle

8. michelle

michelle New Member

Our relationship with God comes by reading the words of God and prayer. If the words are tainted/atlered, it is likely our relationship with and understanding of God will be also.

michelle

9. natters

natters New Member

michelle said "Our relationship with God comes by reading the words of God and prayer. If the words are tainted/atlered, it is likely our relationship with and understanding of God will be also."

As you said before, the Holy Spirit will guide us to truth. A textuall perfect translation is not required for correct interpretation, for the Holy Spirit is not idle.

10. michelle

michelle New Member

As you said before, the Holy Spirit will guide us to truth. A textuall perfect translation is not required for correct interpretation, for the Holy Spirit is not idle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is true. The Holy Spirit does lead us to ALL TRUTH. He doesn't lead us to only some of it, but ALL of it.

Love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

11. natters

natters New Member

Michelle, why do you think some people who use only the KJV often disagree with each other over matters of doctrine?

12. michelle

michelle New Member

---------------------------------------------------
    Michelle, why do you think some people who use only the KJV often disagree with each other over matters of doctrine?

Like what doctrines are you referring? Are you speaking about doctrines of christians in comparison with other christians or other non-christians? Many non-christians also use the KJB. Does this make the KJB not the words of the Lord? No. The Jews have the Hebrew scriptures, yet they also do not yet believe. What is possibly your point to this issue? I believe many greive the Holy Spirit. This is why many christians disagree with one another on the plain truths in the scriptures, or they have not studied the scriptures (lack of knowledge), or they understand it but compromise. If someone is being led by the Holy Spirit of truth, He will lead them to all truth. When we grieve the Holy Spirit of truth, He cannnot therefore lead one who is unwilling to be led. It is also called stubborness. It is the Holy Spirit who interprets the scriptures for us and to us through our study and desire, and listening and obeying. WE cannot interpret of our own selves, for we are spiritually discerned. It is by the Holy Spirit of God who giveth understanding and opens up the scriptural truths, but we cannot be stubborn to what he shows us. Unfortunately, many seem to be.

michelle

13. natters

natters New Member

michelle said "Like what doctrines are you referring?"

Take your pick. Some who use only the KJV believe in eternal security, some don't. Some believe in pretrib rapture, some believe posttrib. Some believe in the eternal Sonship of Jesus, some don't. Some believe in total abstinence from alcohol, some don't. Some believe women should be silent in church, some don't. Some believe in real free will, some don't. Some believe in young earth creation, some don't. Some believe Jesus went to hell when he died on the cross, some don't. Some believe speaking in tongues has ceased, some don't. Some believe the "sons of God" in Gen 6 were fallen angels, some don't. Some believe in handling snakes and drinking poison to show their faith, some don't. If the Holy Spirit is leading KJV readers to "ALL TRUTH", then why do people who use only the KJV still disagree with each other?

14. michelle

michelle New Member

If the Holy Spirit is leading KJV readers to "ALL TRUTH", then why do people who use only the KJV still disagree with each other?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I explained in the above post - see there for your answer.

michelle

15. natters

natters New Member

So then you agree that people's biases and stuborness can affect them arriving at the truth the Holy Spirit is trying to lead them to?

Next question: do you think people are always aware when they are doing this, that which causes them to arrive at faulty interpretations?

16. michelle

michelle New Member

So then you agree that people's biases and stuborness can affect them arriving at the truth the Holy Spirit is trying to lead them to?

Next question: do you think people are always aware when they are doing this, that which causes them to arrive at faulty interpretations?

Well, the way one can tell the truth, is if one can give the scriptural support that they have come to believe the interpretation from in the first place and rightly divide the word of truth, and reason with the scriptures. This is lacking on the mv proponents side. What scriptures did the Holy Spirit give you understanding of for your current understanding/belief in this issue? I have given you mine, many times, and abundantly.
    All you have retorted is that I interpret them wrong, or take them out of context, or post long passages of scripture that have nothing to do with the issue. This is quite easy to do, without then showing and reasoning with other scriptures to show HOW and WHY I am wrong. This has not been done, but only others opinions that I and others are wrong. So it is only your opinion, against the scriptures that I (and others) have been given understanding of by the Holy Spirit for my (our) belief in this issue.

michelle

17. natters

natters New Member

michelle said "Well, the way one can tell the truth, is if one can give the scriptural support that they have come to believe the interpretation from in the first place and rightly divide the word of truth, and reason with the scriptures."

But if one misinterprets in one instance, it is not difficult to misinterpret supporting scripture, essentially backing up the first misinterpretation.

michelle said "What scriptures did the Holy Spirit give you understanding of for your current understanding/belief in this issue?"

The same ones you have listed. None of them mention the KJV.

michelle said "This is quite easy to do, without then showing and reasoning with other scriptures to show HOW and WHY I am wrong. This has not been done,"

It HAS been done. Those scriptures could arbitrarily be applied to any version. Why the KJV? The KJV is not mentioned. What did those scriptures mean before the KJV was available, if they support KJV exclusivity?

How do you know you're interpreting those scriptures properly? Do you believe the Holy Spirit has guided you into "ALL TRUTH"? Do you believe you yourself are now perfectly inerrant in all matters of doctrine?

18. michelle

michelle New Member

But if one misinterprets in one instance, it is not difficult to misinterpret supporting scripture, essentially backing up the first misinterpretation.

Like I said, it is easy for you to say and claim this, yet your actions or responses have shown otherwise, and are not based upon, nor do they come from the scriptures, and only based upon and come from your opinions and feelings. If they came from the scriptures, then you would be able to support it with them. You haven't. I and others have. We have scriptural support for our belief, because this is where our belief and understanding has come from by the Holy Spirit of truth.

To be honest, most posting here, only have the opinions of not only from their own minds and feelings, but that of other men. There is no scriptural support for accepting what is EVIDENCED ALTERATIONS in the modern versions. iN fact the true words of God expose them for what they are.

Love in Jesus Christ our lord and Saviour,
    michelle

19. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

If you will kindly read the thread up to the point you posted this, it had not turned into a KJVO DEBATE. It was simply discussion and I only asked a question of Michelle that she refuses to answer because the other thread was shut down.

We don't have to agree and the KJVO issue may come up. If you haven't been around long,you may not understand what I am talking about when I said it will not turn into a KJVO DEBATE--what I meant and most people know that who have been here (and I will explain to you so now you will know) is that many threads have been hijacked by somebody jumping in and interrupting with a statement such as "I have the KJV, its the only word of God so you are all wrong, etc. etc." totally derailing the debate discussing issues.

Michelle is debating very well here (at least to this point, I have not read past your post today.) and we are simply agreeing or disagreeing. If the majority disagrees, then that is due to the beliefs of those who post.

Nobody here will attack Michelle, unless she strikes first and she has done very well up to this point, so don't stir up trouble, please. ;)

20. natters

natters New Member

Michelle, I have supported them with scripture. Just because your interpretation differs does not mean I have done what you are accusing me of.

How do you know you're interpreting those scriptures properly? Do you believe the Holy Spirit has guided you into "ALL TRUTH"? Do you believe you yourself are now perfectly inerrant in all matters of doctrine?