1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the Eostre cult

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by wopik, Apr 8, 2006.

1. wopik

wopik New Member

But when do you work? if every day is the Sabbath day to you, when do you work?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is false. Any part of a day was considered a full day, and the phrase "day and night" meant "day". Christ died on Friday, rose Sunday, which would have been counted as "three days".

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Jesus wrong in His prediction?
    Matt 12:40

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Friday night and Saturday night means only 2 nights. How could you compromise this?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Was Jesus wrong in His prediction?
    Matt 12:40

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Friday night and Saturday night means only 2 nights. How could you compromise this? [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Adam Clarke explains this well...

Three days and three nights - Our Lord rose from the grave on the day but one after his crucifixion: so that, in the computation in this verse, the part of the day on which he was crucified, and the part of that on which he rose again, are severally estimated as an entire day; and this, no doubt, exactly corresponded to the time in which Jonah was in the belly of the fish. Our Lord says, As Jonah was, so shall the Son of man be, etc. Evening and morning, or night and day, is the Hebrew phrase for a natural day, which the Greeks termed νυχθημερον, nuchthemeron. The very same quantity of time which is here termed three days and three nights, and which, in reality, was only one whole day, a part of two others, and two whole nights, is termed three days and three nights, in the book of Esther: Go; neither eat nor drink Three Days, Night or Day, and so I will go in unto the king: Est_4:16. Afterwards it follows, Est_5:1. On the Third Day, Esther stood in the inner court of the king’s house. Many examples might be produced, from both the sacred and profane writers, in vindication of the propriety of the expression in the text. For farther satisfaction, the reader, if he please, may consult Whitby and Wakefield, and take the following from Lightfoot.
    “I. The Jewish writers extend that memorable station of the unmoving sun, at Joshua’s prayer, to six and thirty hours; for so Kimchi upon that place: ‘According to more exact interpretation, the sun and moon stood still for six and thirty hours: for when the fight was on the eve of the Sabbath, Joshua feared lest the Israelites might break the Sabbath; therefore he spread abroad his hands, that the sun might stand still on the sixth day, according to the measure of the day of the Sabbath, and the moon according to the measure of the night of the Sabbath, and of the going out of the Sabbath, which amounts to six and thirty hours.’
    “II. If you number the hours that pass from our Savior’s giving up the ghost upon the cross to his resurrection, you shall find almost the same number of hours; and yet that space is called by him three days and three nights, whereas two nights only came between, and one complete day. Nevertheless, while he speaks these words, he is not without the consent both of the Jewish schools and their computation. Weigh well that which is disputed in the tract Scabbath, concerning the separation of a woman for three days; where many things are discussed by the Gemarists, concerning the computation of this space of three days. Among other things these words occur: R. Ismael saith, Sometimes it contains four אונות onoth, sometimes five, sometimes six. But how much is the space of an אונה onah? R. Jochanan saith, Either a day or a night. And so also the Jerusalem Talmud: ‘R. Akiba fixed a Day for an onah, and a Night for an onah.’ But the tradition is, that R. Eliazar ben Azariah said, A day and a night make an onah: and a Part of an onah is as the Whole. And a little after, R. Ismael computed a part of the onah for the whole.” Thus, then, three days and three nights, according to this Jewish method of reckoning, included any part of the first day; the whole of the following night; the next day and its night; and any part of the succeeding or third day.

5. mcneely

mcneely New Member

... :confused:

You know what? I don't know whether I should laugh, or slap myself. I've never heard of so many over-analytical Christian conspiracy theories in my life! This group is a cult, that group is a cult, this holiday is pagan, beware the pagans!! Don't celebrate that holiday, It's pagan! Don't step on the tile, it's hot lava! SHEESH!!

THIS IS E-A-S-T-E-R we're talking about!! Remember? We celebrate it because Christ rose from the grave? Ring any bells?

Hey, my name is Justin. Wasn't there an evil pagan Catholic man called Justin Martyr? Oh no! I have to change my name! Curse my parents for naming me that! :rolleyes: Oh brother!
    I believe one of the greatest underused gifts that God gave us is common sense.

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

The "high sabbath", I had heard, was when the annual sabbath fell on the weekly sabbath, so there may have been only one sabbath after all.