1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The eternal purpose of Christ pt2

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by PreachTony, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The original subject was the love of God as it pertains to salvation. You entered in with Psalm 7:11, and that without any reference. Note you just quoted half of the verse without giving any reference or context whatsoever. You quoted it out of context. It has no bearing on the subject when taken in context.
    Inspired, yes. Relevant, no!

Now tell me:
    1 Chronicles 26:18 At Parbar westward, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar.
    --Tell me how much relevance it has to this discussion. It is INSPIRED Scripture Icon!
    --You never answered me about this scripture.
    It has about as much relevance as Psalm 7:11.

He never answered a thing. He just posed a rhetorical question which he has a problem answering. If he doesn't know the answer to it, then he has the problem, not me.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You turn around and only quote half of 2 pet 3:9 because you hate the truth it teaches, so you try and negate it with some BOGUS paraphrase from beyond.

Wrong...I went over the whole chapter

I explained the entire chapter
    you gave a horrendous paraphrase...that is not scripture.

I have answered it 3 times in the last two days....by the way...if ignorance is bliss, looking at what you have denied in your last 20 posts....you must have attained to a certain degree of folly;
    The highest form of bliss is living with a certain degree of folly
    Desiderius Erasmus

Read more at: http://www.azquotes.com/quote/813678

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

No need to lie like you are doing here. Why is this a lie? because it is an intentional falsehood ...I will show that right here

I made a comment concerning yet another one of your errors;
    Here was the exchange...from POST42;

You said this error to SG I believe...so I commented here...I said;
    it does not mean 100% of the time.....Adam was only partly dead....lol...is that like being a little bit pregnant.....lol.....maybe sinners only rebel every other day....lol

God is angry with the wicked.....everyday.

I commented on your foolish posting saying God is angry with the wicked everyday.....[ I quoted this from memory as I have learned this}to which you asked me....

At that point I answered by going to the Psalm and posting half of the psalm showing context...so do not lie.

when I went to scripture here is exactly what i offered in post 46...it is still there go re-read it...I will put it here so the readers can see it-

#63 Iconoclast, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

5. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK,

Whenever David wrote, he wrote through the inspiration of the Spirit of God. Everything that we have that is contained in the Holy Bible, written by men, is as though the Spirit took the quill and ink and wrote it Himself.

Here David is seeking God's protection from his enemies. He was seeking God's face in this prayer.

Here is a sign of true repentance from David. He was afraid that maybe he had done something amiss, and if he had, then he was willing to die. If not, he was seeking God's help in delivering him from his enemies.

Any enemy of David is an enemy of God. He was writing through the Spirit that God would bring vengeance upon those who sought his life.

Now here is where the le caoutchouc rencontre la route, monsieur. David is writing through the Spirit, as though the Spirit Himself took quill and ink, or whatever writing tools they used in those day, and wrote it down. In other words, David is speaking what they Spirit would say. The Spirit says, through David, that God displays His wrath every day. So God does display His wrath upon sinners every day. He is angry with the wicked every day.

6. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Schizophrenia is all over your guy's theology.

You quote 'God so loved the world' and believe it means everybody without exception and yet there is “I have trodden the winepress alone; from the nations no one was with me. I trampled them in my anger and trod them down in my wrath; their blood spattered my garments, and I stained all my clothing."[Isa. 66:3]

You quote God is not willing that any should perish(conveniently leaving out the 'usward' word; the NIV states it {Instead He is patient with you}) and then there is “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."[Matt. 25:41] You then say Christ died for every man without exception then there is “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."[Jn 10:11]

That, mon ami, is schizophrenia.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

We can let the reader decide what has happened here.

yes indeed He does...look;
    Psalm 5:5

The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity

Sure it is.God God has a Holy hatred of sin. It is not like your carnal hatred of Calvinism....But he hates all the workers of iniquity....He is angry at the wicked everyday.

What paraphrase are you going to use to make another denial of scripture today?

Here is CHS-

So you do not love Calvinistic teaching it looks like...you only like your own ideas which are not holding up to protestant and SG"s questioning.:thumbs:

Yes that is a wonderful truth:laugh: But God has many Holy attributes and one does not cancel out the others....You should know this as you claim you teach others.

That is your opinion...but you also deny Jesus sends sinners to hell...so I am not sure if you have followers at this point.
    Yes he does....the tsunami a few years ago was a demonstration of this fact.

No he does not take pleasure in it...but that will not stop Him from sending the angels to gather out all things that offend and bind them in bundles to be burned.

This however is another attempt to derail the thread as you do... yesterday you said the "thread" was about;
    This thread is about the eternal purpose of God

?

Yes...he reaches many of the elect everyday.

Have i posted this somewhere? Or are you "inferring"again, which is just an excuse to make a personal attack because the discussion is not going your way at all?

This is your opinion , you are free to express it. We do not share it as posted , and reject your denials of clear scripture.

Take a poll and put that to the test:laugh:

It seems that way to you because you are unable to welcome the teaching.
    That seems to me to be a personal problem. The others here are in agreement with most of what i have said.:laugh:
    You claim that you teach...and yet did not know where these verses were found?

I know it that is why i remembered it and posted it when you requested "proof"....you got it:

because the Spirit gave him truth here.

I have and it looks like the other brothers have...that is why they know you are wrong:

Psalm 11:5

The Lord trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

And I do not disagree that the number saved is innumerable. I just think the number damned is greater, using Christ's example from scripture. I believe scripture has a consistent track record of showing us more people turning away God's invitation than accepting it.

I don't think you do, but I hope you are not finding fault in me for using the words of the Lord to inform my theological leaning...

This one is easy for me, Icon. I find the Calvinist interpretation deplorable. I'm not sure how many times I can show the multiple invitations in scripture, some from the mouth of Christ Himself, that went out to everyone. Every time I or any other non-Cal shows these invitations, the Calvinist just responds that they are not meant for everyone, but only for the Elect.

Non-Cals always want all men to be saved. We see in scripture that God likewise wants all men to be saved. He wants none to perish. But, oh right, that verse only applies to some, and not all. Because as we all know, no person has ever been talking to a specific group and then referenced a much larger group. You guys act like there is no way that Peter could be talking to saved people and then either referencing the entirety of humanity or even the previous sinful state of the saved and how it relates to all sinners. You guys have decided that 2 Peter 3:9 only applies to the specified group that Peter stated in his introduction, when Peter even says in the opening of chapter 3 that he intends to remind them of things past.

I would hope so. Believe it or not, but non-Cals also believe God and trust Him. We also hold to His plan being perfect. Apparently unlike your side, we do not see God's plan weakened because God allows man to accept or reject Him. If that was part of God's plan, then how is God weakened?

If you've never questioned God then you are a better man than almost everyone I've ever known. God knows we'll have moments of doubt. He knows we'll fall. He know's we'll sin. For that very reason John told us that we have an advocate with the Father.

What do I need to clarify here, Icon? Your side throughout the previous thread and this one has said things to the effect of "that scripture does not apply to the lost" or "that verse only references the elect." 2 Peter 3:9 is a clear example. The non-Cals recognize that verse as applicable to all men. The Calvinists say it is only meant for the saved.

I'm happy for you if it is, although I do not understand how it can be. Your very theology, and the man that founded it, states that God actually harbors hatred, to the point of damnation, for a sizable portion of creation...a creation that can only do anything once God propels them to do so. He commands men to repent but never intends to move them to repentance. He invites men to seek His mercy, but never intends to grant that mercy to most of them. Calvin himself said
    That, to me, sounds like man could've been grateful to God for such illumination, yet your side says man can only be so if God first moves him to be so. So God illumines people for a time, never moves them to be grateful, and then strikes them with greater blindness for not having something that He never gave them. I wish you could see just how mortifying such a theological system is to someone on my side of the aisle.

So once again your side claims the intellectual high ground. If only you non-Cals had a consistent view of scripture...

I cannot speak for DHK. I can only speak for myself, Icon. I don't harbor hatred for any link you've shared. I told you my stance. I prefer to lean on scripture rather than a confession written not even 350 years ago. I prefer to glean my doctrine from scripture, rather than how one man interpreted scripture 1500 years after it was written, especially given that the man in question was just as fallible and corrupt as us and that he held to doctrines most of us now despise.

The problem with this statement is that, if you do not know, and you think within yourself that the clerk at the gas station does know, then so long as he presents a statement that sounds properly smart and well-reasoned, he could hoodwink you into a belief system that is false, and he could do so under the pretense of simply sounding like an expert on the matter.

I've been asked before what kind of "Confession" I follow, or similar statements to that effect. My answer has always been that I follow scripture. I've never pointed someone to the writings of someone else as a basis of theology, because in my understanding, only the Bible is divinely inspired. Any commentary on the Scriptures is subject to the corruption and fallibility of the man writing it. I'm glad Van took up the challenge, and I would like to read his writing, just out of curiosity. But I will not write you a Confession when the scripture exists and God's Word will stand.

9. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother DHK,

God does hate the non-elect per the following scriptures,

"The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity" (Psalm 5:5)

"The Lord trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth." (Psalm 11:5)

10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

Only In Christ Jesus, for it is written Rom 8:39

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Outside of Christ He is a consuming fire Heb 12:29

29 For our God is a consuming fire[Thats His Nature also].

The Love of God here is with the definite article, meaning its exclusive to only in Christ Jesus, the Love of God is found, there is no scripture foundation that God is Love to any outside of Christ Jesus !

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you not find it odd that you can only find those type of statements in:
    a. Poetical literature, particularly the Psalms which are the prayers of men--and mostly statements of judgment as in the Imprecatory Psalms, which then have no bearing on us at all.

b. that the same truths are not found in the NT books and actually contradict the words of Jesus, and of the Apostles.

c. They also contradict the Law, which is summarized by Jesus into two Great Commandments summarized by Christ in the NT.

d. They go directly contrary to the nature of God who expressly is stated as "God is love," (the absence of hate).

Given the above evidence I find your positon to be absolutely wrong, even anti-biblical.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    PreachTony;

(I don't think you do, but I hope you are not finding fault in me for using the words of the Lord to inform my theological leaning...)

No...not at all however....you are missing the point completely because it shows the contradiction in what you posted......you attacked the cal view....when questioned you say Jesus taught it also.......you are not dealing with your contradiction......
    Instead you say this disengenuious remark as if I am against you quoting Jesus.???

(This one is easy for me, Icon. I find the Calvinist interpretation deplorable. I'm not sure how many times I can show the multiple invitations in scripture, some from the mouth of Christ Himself, that went out to everyone. )

Calvinists show the same verses.

(Every time I or any other non-Cal shows these invitations, the Calvinist just responds that they are not meant for everyone, but only for the Elect.)

They are.offered to all.....but will be effectual for the elect....

Why can you not grasp this idea that has been repeated over and over.
    The general call goes to all men....we do not know who is elect so we preach to all...you see this in Acts 18....God tells Paul I have MUCH people in this city...not all but many.
    He did not give Paul a list...he preaches to all

14. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Though it is not a caricature, why should I stop? The truth of your theology is that God has Elected a number, great though it may be, to salvation and likewise elected a number, greater than the first, to eternal damnation. You can try to say that Election only works one way, but that simply cannot be in the case of a sovereign God as Calvinism describes Him. If God has selected to save those He saves, then He must also have selected to punish those He punishes. Man has no says so in either case, according to you, so man is nothing more than a puppet. I hate using that cliche, but it is apt, given the theology.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Inspiration doesn't mean relevance. The psalm, given its context, has not relevance to the character of God. As pointed out to Icon, what relevance does this verse have with this subject:

It also is inspired of God. It is not a question of inspiration. We all agree that all scripture is inspired of God and profitable. But is it relevant to this discussion. The answer is NO! The reason--context.

The superscription refers to David’s experience with “Cush, a Benjamite,” referred to only here in the Bible. The song comes from a time David was hunted by Saul’s men (1Sa_22:8; 1Sa_24:9; 1Sa_26:19)
    --Are you out fleeing from Saul's men, particularly one of them. These were enemies of one who was anointed to be the king over Israel.
    In verses 3-5:
    David is not repenting at all. He is affirming his innocence before God.
    In verse 4 he expresses a slanderous charge made against him by his enemies: " if I have done this;" But he hadn't. He was innocent.
    Yes, an appeal for vindication. Quite the contrary to what the NT teaches.
    "Vengeance is mine saith the Lord. I will repay."
    We are not to pray for vengeance. We are to pray for love for our enemies, and in fact to love them and do good for them. This is the opposite of NT teaching.
    Verse 10 simply teaches that God is his shield.
    Verse 11, if there is NT teaching, is what I have already given:
    God hates the wickedness of the unbeliever. Vengeance is His. He will repay.

In the ESV it says:
    Psa 7:11 God is a righteous judge, and a God who feels indignation every day.
    --The KJV may not be the most accurate translation at this point. God does not hate "the wicked" but rather their wickedness.

(ASV) God is a righteous judge, Yea, a God that hath indignation every day.

(Darby) God is a righteous judge, and a *God who is indignant all the day.

In fact Young's literal translation seems to say the opposite of the KJV:

(YLT) God is a righteous judge, And He is not angry at all times.

Therefore, don't put all your faith in just one translation.

16. BrotherJoseph

Brother PreachTony,

You have a problem in your theology of gospel regeneration/free will that you probably relegate only to those who believe the doctrines of grace. If gospel regeneration is the truth, then to be "fair" why doesn't God give all equal opportunities to hear the gospel? After all, some men die who have never heard the gospel, thus per your theology such men were never given a "chance" or "opportunity" to be saved. Also, others grow up and hear the gospel much more than some.

17. BrotherJoseph

Brother DHK,

Even if those verses in Psalms were prayers, are you contending the saints praying these prayers under inspiration of God were stating falsehoods or were they not writing under the inspiration of God as moved by the Holy Ghost?

18. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Psalms are God's word!

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

NO, I am saying because of their context they are not relevant.
    Come now, BJ, would you pray this prayer:

Psa 109:10 Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.

How relevant is that to our NT prayer life?

How relevant is some of the other OT scripture to this discussion:

Scripture taken out of context is not relevant. It is inspired, yes; but not relevant.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yep, and so are the Chronicles of the OT:

So what is your point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.