1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Ethics of Eggs

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Magnetic Poles, Apr 29, 2006.

?
  1. Great idea! Finance your degree and give a couple a child.

56.3%
  2. Bad idea! You have no control over your own progeny.

31.3%
  3. Undecided. I can see good and bad in this, but don't know where I stand.

12.5%
  4. Other. Elaborate in post.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are they cheaper by the dozen?

3. Magnetic Poles

Maybe! [​IMG]

I am surprised this one hasn't sparked much interest. It seems to be an ethical issue that has pros and cons on both sides, and I thought might be an interesting dialog.

4. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I have no idea...what are they selling it for? Stem Cells? Making whole (God's will intended) babies?

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The money sounds great. I personally would not do it, because that would still be MY child out there. I have an obligation to ensure that my offspring are raised in Christ. How silly of me it would be to knowingly hand over what will potentially be my own child to a complete stranger?

In my younger years I wouldn't have thought much of it. I do think it is unethical to do this.

I'm also against the idea of people using medical procedures to become pregnant. It seems as if it is interfering way too much with nature. I'd personally be worried that there was a good cause for it, and would stick with adopting if I wanted a child that desperately. I understand the desire, but it just seems strange on a number of levels to circumvent what may have been God's will (to not conceive), especially when there are needy children out there in need of good homes. Even with the ability to have children, I hadn't planned on it simply for that cause...that there are children out there who don't have parents. (it was my husband's decision to have our own children)

So, no.
    I don't like this egg-selling idea at all, on a number of levels.

6. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

ah...I'd agree to leave the population control to God....He knows how to manage things....

7. Magnetic Poles

So, what if you could interview the prospective parents and they were wonderful committed Christians? Would that make a difference.

Also, to answer Uncharted Spirit, no this is not for harvesting stem cells or aborting. Just for the purpose of creating children for couples unable to conceive on their own.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It might make it more tolerable. If I was very desperate, it could sway me from no to yes when considering whether or not to do it.

I still would have a major issue with this though. Regardless of who carried the baby, the fact would remain that a child is out there, with a biological mother who isn't taking the responsibility, and a biological father that had a child with a woman he didn't know.

It's confusion. It's more than questionable. There are just so many levels of possible wrong going on in the situation that I really don't think anything will convince me that it would be ok in any situation.

There was one that came close to convincing me. It was a situation where a person was artificially impregnated so she would have a child, in order to save the life of her sister. LINK to story
    The slant given on this story is far too harsh on the parents, I think, regardless of whether it was right or wrong. And I'm inclined to say that in this particular situation, I do have a hard time (emotionally) saying that it was wrong.

Would I have done it? Maybe. Would I be wrong? Probably. But I'd also be willing to do wrong to save the life of my child.

Thanks for making my brain hurt. :eek: [​IMG]

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Wow. Everyone must agree with me. [​IMG] hehehe...

10. Magnetic Poles

Good thoughts, Gina! [​IMG]

11. Kilad

Kilad New Member

I honestly dont know where I stand on this. Only God can choose which sole inhabits the growing child within the womb. An unfertilized egg is just a cell which women dump every month (hope that didnt sound crude).

I honestly do not know of any biblical teachings that would support or prohibit such a procedure unless there are Prohibitions at the thought of profiting from the sale of the eggs. Setting the cash payment aside though how is it different from donating a kidney or donating your organs after you die?