1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Failure of Israel's Osirak Raid

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by KenH, Feb 2, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lessons for the current situation with Iran:

Article LINK

2. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Your link did not work. I see absolutely no failure in the superb mission by the IDF.

Jewish Virtual Library

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The link works fine for me. Maybe you are having a computer problem. Try it again.

It wasn't the mission itself that failed but the aim of the mission that failed in the long run.

4. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

Ken, to me the key is At least for the present, the atomic genie of Baghdad was put back into his bottle. Disruption of Iraq's nuclear weapons program occurred, but was not maintained.

In order to successfully manufacture a fissionable device, Iran must have success in every part of the production/enrichment cycle, whereas we only need to successfully destroy one critical element of the cycle, to stop the end game. Then, pressure must be maintained. At some point, one would like to believe that Iran would "get the message", and negotiate an end to our attacks. If necessary, Iran has a lot of exposed oil facilities we can destroy. Yes, it will push the price of oil sky high, but it's going to do that anyway. If Iran gets the bomb, they will use it; they must be stopped regardless of the cost. I would also argue that their continued interference in Iraq is costing both American and Iraqi lives, and is tacitly an act of war. In other words, we are already in a technical state of war with Iran.

I do NOT believe it would be a 'cakewalk', but it is necessary. So is the draft, and a broader recognition by the American (and European) public that this is WWIII, and we better mobilize our economy and military to prepare for worldwide conflict. A failure to do this is tantamount to Stalin's unwillingness to recognize that Hitler was mobilizing for Operation Barbarossa; this cost millions of Soviet lives, and nearly lost Stalin his position of power at the outset, and his nation, if it were not for some very serious strategic blunders by the Nazi leadership.

We should avoid introducing ground forces into Iran, other than SF recon forces, because we will sacrifice the advantage of maneuver for an attritive environment, as we did in Iraq. History shows, over and over, that that is a recipe for disaster.

Is this the same Khadir Hamza who urged us to take out the Iraqi-regime because they possessed WMD's, that you believe were non-existent? Should we believe him now, or then?

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

The link works fine for me. Maybe you are having a computer problem. Try it again.

It wasn't the mission itself that failed but the aim of the mission that failed in the long run.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The mission did NOT fail in the long run. The problem is, the general public does not know political implications that are occurring behind the scenes with Israel, Iraq and Iran. Nor should most of that be made public for the sake of national security.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure it did fail. If it had not then Iraq would not have been closer in 1991 than it was in 1981 to developing a nuclear weapon.