1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The fallacy of Christian Psychology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 27, 2012.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think you know what you're talking about. You've clearly never actually sutdied anything in either psychiatrity or psychology. To make such absolute claims over a complex and wide ranging field is disingenuous.

Again, how many university classes have you sat through?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why degrade the entire field because of one single account. You know sometimes hyper intellectuals can rely to heavily on "scholarship" and academia but this anti-intellectualism is just as bad.

3. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    By people who are devoid of the Spirit and deny the sufficiency of Jesus and His word? We obviously have vastly different views of Jesus. I feel sorry for you as well.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was planning to be a christian Psychologist, sat thru 4 years worth!

5. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    University of Nebraska and Grace College of the Bible.

6. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    What evidence are you using? And what about all the poor people that did just fine without it for millennia?

7. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why a Christian doesn't need psychology.

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And what makes you think that these verses say anything contrary to what a Christian psychologist/psychiatrist believes or teaches?

I truly hope you never have to deal with a family member who is dealing with depression or suicide (I have- it is not a light matter). And if you do, I hope that you will not just throw a Bible at them and say "Read this, it has the answers to all of your problems."

Not all psychological and psychiatric are spiritual in nature. Many times they can have a physical basis. It is a folly and a denial of our weakness as created beings (which God himself recognizes) to claim that everything can be "cured" with a spiritual remedy. Prayer of course is the first resort, but many times God wants us to put feet to our prayers and go to doctors, psychologists and psychiatrists also.

Many Christians look down on psychology and psychiatry out of pride. They say, "It will never happen to me". I hope and pray that it doesn't. But if it does may God grant you the wisdom to get the help you need from a professional.

#28 Mexdeaf, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Please read carefully- I never said I was sorry FOR you.

Jesus said the children of this world are wiser in their time than the children of light. I take that to mean that we can learn things from people in this world that will help us in our pilgrimage down here even though those things are not necessarily spiritual in nature.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

But the cross does not "fix" us. We still have to live with the results of sin- whether they be mental, physical, or spiritual in nature. Thus the need for doctors, hospitals, medicines, and psychology.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is an excellent counselor who understands psychology AND the Scriptures. They have taken the good from psychology and use it alongside the Scriptures to be able to wholly address the issues before him. I've known of 3 such psychologists in my life. They are rare but when you find them, they are usually quite busy because it works.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not advocating that chrsitians might niot need medication at times, or a genuine need for couseling, but am against them going to get advise from those whose traing would undercut the Cross and personal sin!

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

So I assume that you would never advise a Christian to go to a medical doctor who is an unbeliever? Or take classes from a teacher who is an unbeliever?

Do you see the fallacy here?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, as a medical DR is assisting strictly physical conditions, but Psy involves the spiritual side of man, and the Cross is the foundation to start from in regards to that, but naturalistic/materialistic Psychology refuses that aid!

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Fallacious thinking again. Medical problems may very well be spiritual in nature as well.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be , but the difference is again the medical dr should seek out thsoe who nurture to that aspect of man, the Christians!

17. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please answer this question mexdeaf. And yes I have gone through depression as have some of my friends and family. I still contend that the Bible, the Holy Spirit and Christian fellowship are more than enough to get a believer through any situation. I went to a "christian" psychologist many years ago and his answer was to put me on meds. I couldn't sleep the night before and decided if Jesus couldn't get me out of it then I didn't want out. I quit going to the psychologist and started meeting with an older pastor. The first thing he told me was to get up in the morning and thank God for all the good He had done in my past and look for what to be thankful for now. The scripture tells us to enter His gates with thanksgiving. Another friend told me to quit thinking about myself and to devote my life to helping others. Both admonition have served me well the last 25 years.

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I missed this earlier.

What did people do for millennia?

1) They were demonized and ostracized by others, especially by the "church".

2) They either killed themselves or were killed.

3) They were sent to 'exorcists'.

4) They were jailed.

And I'm sure that I missed quite a few.

There are levels of depression. Prayer and the Scriptures may be fine for some with mild forms of depression. But for more severe cases and for other psychosomatic disorders, a visit to a psychiatrist or psychologist is necessary. A good licensed Christian one is preferred, of course- but in many less-populated areas of the country this is not an option.

Regardless, a licensed practitioner is bound by his COE (Code Of Ethics) to respect the spiritual beliefs and orientation of his patients and interact with them accordingly.

19. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    If only Jesus had discovered psychology and psychiatry... you have a very low view of the Gospel and the Jesus of the Bible.

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And you must be very perspicacious to be able to determine all of my beliefs based on my comments on this thread.