1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The fallacy of friendship evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 29, 2014.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

THIS is the kind of street preaching I will support. This is a local pastor who started this organization that now feeds 3500 people each week at different locations throughout Long Island. In addition to these food pantry type ministries, he also provides clothing, school supplies, kids' club with free lunch, programs for the at risk youth, etc. He has been shot at, had death threats and all sorts of things - but through the ministry he heads, MANY have come to know Jesus.

One thing that you don't see here on this video is the volunteers who are with the people, who pray with them as they receive food, who forge relationships with many of them. We've gone to entertain the kids while their parents are waiting on a long line to receive enough food to feed them for the week. They don't just hand someone a tract, tell them they are a sinner and hope that things work out. There is love. There is interaction. There is support and there is follow-up for those who respond. THIS is what evangelism is about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLHfNS3-gog&list=UU3Ch0Ssxp0z5BVoxX3ok_iQ&index=5

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Tony Miano's bio at CARM:

• In addition, Tony wrote and co-hosted approximately 400 episodes of Living Waters’ live, web-based program, “On the Box, with Ray Comfort.”
    • Presently, Tony is serving the Lord as a missionary, with an emphasis on open-air preaching and the discipleship of the current generation of open-air preachers.
    Source

If I was making my money milking Holsteins with bobbed tails I sure wouldn't be bad-mouthing Holsteins, milk or bobbed tails.

Yes, I read the article. Twice - which is the same number of times you took that WOTM course. As a result, I am as qualified to comment on the article as you are to be a WOTM practitioner.

From the article:

Mr. Miano jumps on the bandwagon and says, "See!! I told you that friendship evangelism garbage doesn't preach Christ." HOLSTEIN BY-PRODUCT. The author jumps to the conclusion that Friendship evangelism is at fault. It is not the evangelism methodology that kept Jesus out of the conversation. It was the friend!

Read it again: "I have made myself known to all, but not gone out of my way to share the gospel."

That would be called the NON-EXISTENT evangelism method. The friend did not say a word about Jesus. That is no evangelism at all.

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This simply seems like the type of thread that encourages his appearance. Evangelist makes one of his book/street preaching/letter writing statements... people disagree with him... the Rabbit shows up.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol...let it go brother.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe what that gentleman was really speaking about was "lifestyle evangelism" where one lives the "Preach the gospel at all times, use words when necessary" kind of thing. THAT is not friendship evangelism.

7. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holsteins trump rabbits. Every time.:thumbsup:

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

#28 OldRegular, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  9. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

And then...

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the OP see this at Ray Comfort's 'Living Waters' website?

http://www.livingwaters.com/witnessingtool/howshouldiwitnesstomycoworkers.shtml

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The author of the op doesn't know the difference and often conflates the two.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you do but that doesn't change facts.

14. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if one has no interaction with people.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are to be into the lives of the lost, as we are the Body of christ reaching out towards them, and we alone can give them the good news...

We have to 'earn" the right by our deeds/actions/words while around them to have them hear our testimony, for what good is it for us to preach the Gospel. but leabe them with the impression that its now turn or burn period?

The best witness to many unsaved is how we live our lives aroundthem, as that will speak much louder then our words!