1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Fathers Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Jun 14, 2012.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Our will which is the will of the flesh is to eat and drink. That is why fasting is good it teaches us how to fight against our will. What made that decision to fast, was it not our free agency with us and it was an outside source the word of God that influenced it.

Do you think the will of the flesh would ever want to fast?

Do you think Jesus fasted to prepare Him for the temptation to come, or to teach us how to prepare for temptations to come?

Do you think fasting helps or teaches us how to fight against our will and to follow His will?

We don't do so others can see that defeats the purpose, the will of the flesh loves praise.

Acts 13:2
    While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

Acts 14:23
    Paul and Barnabas appointed elders for them in each church and, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.

#21 psalms109:31, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
  2. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Is it not possible for the Father & Christ to have separate but equally perfect wills? Having perfect wills & thoughts does not mean that they always have the exact same thoughts. Within His perfection, Christ's desire was to not be separated from the Father on the cross. This was not a sinful desire, but it was not the Father's will. I believe part of the confusion stems from our unScriptural compartmentalization of God's will into different categories; perfect, permissive, etc.

3. psalms109:31

Jesus in the flesh, God in the flesh was living in an enmity to Himself.

He faced real trials and tribulation and defeated the flesh. Only in Him can we defeat what we cannot on our own.

We all are dead, life is only in Christ who was chosen before the foundation of the world so when we are in Him we are to. It isn't what we have done, because of what He has done we are saved in Him.

We do have the knowledge of good and evil, we have not lost the knowledge of good, compared to God it is dirty rags though.

We simply deny our own will and follow the will of the Father, the words of life.

The words of life the will of the Father is those who believes in His Son will have eternal life. The words of life the word we are born again by the enduring word of God.

John 6:40
    For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

1 Peter 1:23
    For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

Psalm 73:28
    But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, That I may declare all Your works.

Romans 4:5
    However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.

There is only His will that leads to life and our will that leads to death.

#23 psalms109:31, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
  4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

From the OP...

A HEARTY AMEN to that!

5. psalms109:31

Spurgeon believed all men meant all men and that regeneration before faith is ridiculous. I do think those are residue left over from hyper-Calvinism not from Calvinism at least what Spurgeon who was a Calvinist taught. I call them extreme-Calvinist who spread this gospel, because Hyper-Calvinist did not believe they need to spread any gospel.

Spurgeon also believed free will is ridiculous, but I wish you would not focus on that, but this his explanation of why.

"Freedom cannot belong to will any more than ponderability can belong to electricity. They are altogether different things. Free agency we may believe in, but free-will is simply ridiculous. The will is well known by all to be directed by the understanding, to be moved by motives, to be guided by other parts of the soul, and to be a secondary thing."

C.H. Spurgeon

I truly believe what guides the will is another parts of the soul is the free agency we can believe in. The free agency can go against our will by the word of God.

The purpose of this O.P. is to understand the will, the difference of our will and the Father's will.

Jesus said not my will , but His Father will be done.

6. psalms109:31

Bump up to top

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you show scripture that present Christ opposing himself?

Christ was fully God and fully human. The two natures functioned in union and inseparable; never in discord or opposition in complete agreement.

8. psalms109:31

Not my will but your will be done, this is what the O.P. is all about. I see it as a war with Himself God won.

Prospective on either side of this would be great.

#28 psalms109:31, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012