1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Five Pillars of Islam.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have been doing some study in recent times of Islam, based around the idea of how we as Christians reach out to muslimes with Jesus. The question that I have is that the Five Pillars of Islam are the Fundamentals of Islam. How do we resond to this teaching with Christian teaching?

For starters could we say that there is no God but Yahweh, yet Yahweh could be translated in Arabic Allah?

In summary, the practices are:

The Testimony that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is his messenger.
    Establishing of the five daily Prayers (Salah).
    The Giving of Zakaah (charity), which is generally 2.5% of the yearly savings for a rich man working in trade or industry, and 10% or 20% of the produce for agriculturists. This money or produce is distributed among the poor. And 25% of found treasure such as non gambling lottery and every precious items found by someone.
    Refraining from eating, drinking and having sex from dawn to dusk in the month of Ramadan (Sawm).
    The Pilgrimage (Hajj) to Mecca during the month of Zul Hijjah, which is compulsory once in a lifetime for one who has the ability to do it.
    Some Muslims, mainly belonging to the sect of the Khawarij, hold that there is a sixth pillar of Islam, jihād (جهاد), literally meaning "struggle" or "combat", but usually understood to refer to holy war, but this is probably a misunderstanding in some cases. While jihād is widely considered a duty of Muslims, the view that it is one of the pillars is not shared by most theologians.

2. aa0310

aa0310 New Member

I feel that the best way to be an effective witness for Jesus to anyone, is to get to know the Jesus of the Bible in a really personal way. Jesus Himself is the Way and the Truth and the Life (John 14:6), which is to the exclusion of all others. I don't think that Christians ought to concern themselves with the teachings of other "faiths", since they are all of the devil! Only by really knowing Jesus, and working by the power of the Holy Spirit, can we be a real witness in this world. Islam, for example, is a murderous faith, and a growing threat to the world at large. Its got this way because there are far too many liberals in the "Church", who pretent to represent Jesus Christ, when in actual fact the are doing the devils bidding!

3. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Hi Ben,

Although I don't pretend to be an expert on Islam, I have spent a lot of time in the Middle East in predominately Islamic countries, and I can offer some personal observations.......

From what I have seen, the Moslem can not know "Allah" in a personal sense. That is to say, one is a Moslem if one simply adheres to the five pillars and recites the (I'm sorry, the Arabic word escapes me) prayer "there is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet". I personally would classify Islam as a "Non-thinking man's religion" (my opinion); but a "by rote" religion (if that makes any sense).

Having said all that, I have found that when we present God as one who can be known personally (through Jesus Christ), and present the truth that God is vitally interested in all aspects of one's life on a personal level........Well, sometime the light goes on. The idea of a personal god is a radical departure from what they have been taught......

The other thing that the average moslem is up against, is that Islam teaches that if one who is a follower of Islam apostates, he/she is then under the death penalty, and the hand of their family will be turned against them.

I know of moslems who have become Christian, and have lost everything...to include wife, children, mother and father.

And finally...PRAY,PRAY,PRAY......
    God bless you in your efforts, brother.

4. ICU2YB

ICU2YB New Member

Ben,

You might want to start at another point, for until they are shown Christ & The Father are one all you'll be doing is exchanging rethoric over which religious practice is best. I know this from a brother that worked at a rural hospital who took on two Islam doctors. They liked to wore him out with their dogma on religious practices. Make Mt 22:42-46: Jn 10:25-38

For more on the Qur'an go to:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/004.qmt.html

then scroll down to: 004.157

YUSUFALI: That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

PICKTHAL: And because of their saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger - they slew him not nor crucified him, but it appeared so unto them; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain.

SHAKIR: And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the messenger of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.

Next scroll down to: 004.171

YUSUFALI: O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was ( no more than ) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.

PICKTHAL: O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not "Three" - Cease! (it is) better for you! - Allah is only One Allah. Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender.

SHAKIR: O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak (lies) against Allah, but (speak) the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only a messenger of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His messengers, and say not, Three. Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one Allah; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector.

Here is an ex-Islam website that might help you.

http://www.islamreview.com/index.htm

Cordially, Dave

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thankyou all! I am keen to get over and check out those sites! [​IMG]

6. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

There is a book by Gurganus (sp) called Perils of Islam that is very good. He was a missionary for several years in an Islamic country.

7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Victor Mordecai, an author of books and dvds about Islam, has a lecture called the Five Deceptions of Islam.

Here they are in brief outline. At the end, I will post the link where you can listen to the lecture for free.

1. Islam is a religion of love.
    Islam is not a religion of love. Both Judaism and Christianity teach one to love God and to love one's neighbor. Islam has no such concepts.

2. Islam is a religion of peace.
    Islam is not a religion of peace. Islam means surrender or submission. In Islam, there are two houses or two groups. The first is Daru'l-Islam meaning house of Islam, the place where everyone is Islamic. The second is Daru'l-Harb or house of infidels. The house of infidels must be destroyed sooner or later; it is divided into two: Jews and Christians get special consideration and all other groups and religions, who get no consideration whatsoever.

3. Allah is God.
    Allah is not God. God chose Isaac and Jacob. Allah is a god of war and was one of 360 Arabic gods. Allahu Akbar means Allah is the most great, or the greatest. Moslems say that Allah is greater than any other god.

4. The Jesus of Islam is the same as the Christian Jesus.
    Victor Mordecai says that in the Moslem view when Jesus returns He will be a Moslem and will put to death all Jews and Christians.

5. The Qur'an is a holy book.
    The Qur'an is a sick joke book probably written for the illiterate Arabs by some poor rabbi imprisoned in a pit and he filled it with nonsense so that it would self destruct.

Listen to Victor Mordecai online; click on Part 1--it's free!

http://www.vicmord.com/

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here is a question, where do we as Anglo-saxons get the word "God" from? What I can tell you is that it is not what a lot of people think!

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, Ben. I have the big fat Webster's here at home and it traces the word back to Sanskrit. I can use the Oxford Dictionary for free online at the Indianapolis Public Library with my numbered library card....

I hope that you will take the time to listen to Victor Mordecai, Ben. It is easy to get the lecture even with dial-up. He lives in Israel but was raised in the USA.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

aa0310

Amen Brother!

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thankyou for the link to Victor, I have every intention of checking it out when I am able which will hopefully be shortly.

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the Jewish Encyclopedia under the topic of Koran

"The dependence of Mohammed upon his Jewish teachers or upon what he heard of the Jewish Haggadah and Jewish practises is now generally conceded. The subject was first treated from a general point of view by David Mill, in his "Oratio Inauguralis de Mohammedanismo e Veterum Hebræorum Scriptis Magna ex Parte Composita" (Utrecht, 1718); and by H. Lyth in his "Quo Successu Davidicos Hymnos Imitatus Sit Muhammed" (Upsala, 1806-1807). Geiger's epoch-making work laid the foundation for the study of the Koran in its relation to Jewish writings. J. Gastfreund, in his "Mohamed nach Talmud und Midrasch" (i., Berlin, 1875; ii., Vienna, 1877; iii., Leipsic, 1880), has attempted to show the parallels, also, in later Mohammedan literature; though not always with success, as Sprenger has pointed out ("Z. D. M. G." xxix. 654). Further parallels are given by Grünbaum (ib. xliii. 4 et seq.). The subject has received an exhaustive treatment at the hands of Hartwig Hirschfeld, in his "Jüdische Elemente im Ḳoran" (1878), in his "Beiträge zur Erklärung des Ḳoran" (Leipsic, 1886), and more especially in his "New Researches into the Composition and Exegesis of the Qoran" (London, 1902; comp. the remarks of August Müller in "Theologische Literaturzeitung," 1887, No. 12, cols. 278 et seq.)."