1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Fourth Commandment in Principle

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Jul 16, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I realize all the different views concerning this subject. However, I wanted to present a view you may not have thought about or have been introduced to that is found in the two most used Baptists confessions of faith (New Hampshire, The Philadelphia or London Confession).

First, the law was never designed by God to justify, sanctify or save the elect but merely to define sin and instruct in righteousness. Consider the following:

1. Neither Geneis 2:3-4 or any record of the fourth commandment contain the words "of the week."

2. The fourth commandment in PRINCIPLE demands only six days preceding and following the seventh day Sabbath. Thus the Sabbath day stands in relationship to six days at its close and at its beginning as it closes and introduces six working days.

3. The Sabbath Law cannot be interpreted so that it is permenantly restricted only to specific day "of the week" without condemning God's own application of Sabbath Law to FIXED DATED Sabbaths in Leviticus 23 or extended periods of time than the 24 hour "yom" as proven in Leviticus 23-25 (seventh month, seventh year, fiftieth year).

4. In Genesis 2:3-4 the "day" or Hebrew "yom" is used in direct relationship with the Sabbath and creation to refer to both a 24 hour period of time (v. 3) and an extended period of time (v. 4) and thus perfectly fits with God's application of the Sabbath law to 24 hour periods of time (fixed dated sabbaths and weekly sabbath) and longer periods of time (7th month, 7th year, fiftieth year, etc.).

5. Hence, in PRINCIPLE the Sabbath law only demands six working days preceding and following the seventh day Sabbath, which day can be applied to different days "of the week" as the FIXED DATED Sabbaths in Leviticus 23 fell on various days of the week as neither the solar or lunar year is equally divisible by seven.

6. The selected DATED SABBATHS in Leviticus 23 do not conform to the dates corresponding to the seventh day of the week sabbath such as 7, 14, 21, and 28th but these are all Messianic feasts applicable to the New Covenant and the dates correspond to the first day of the week sabbaths (1, 8, 15, 22, 50th).

7. The levitical Sabbath restrictions have all been abolished (Col. 2:16) and the day the Lord hath "made" to be observed as follows "we will rejoice and be glad IN IT" - Psa. 118:24 is a Messanic passage directly applied to the resurrection day in Acts 4:10-11.

8. Paul's argument in Hebrew 4 is that both Old and New Testament saints entered into rest by faith in the SAME gospel (vv. 2-3) but that did not fulfill Sabbath day observance for Old Testament saints nor did that fulfill the ultimate Sabbath rest. Nor did Joshua bringing them into physical Palestine fulfill the Sabbath rest. Nor did David giving rest from physical enemies fulfill the Sabath rest. Nor did the finished work of Jesus Christ at the resurrection fulfill the Sabbath rest (Heb. 4:9-10) but there remains a fulfillment yet future that we must enter into that our High Priest has already entered into not merely in spirit but in a glorified body (Heb. 4:11,14).

The Sabbath is fulfilled partially when we enter into the gospel rest by faith in spirit. It is being fulfilled as we enter into spiritual rest from our own works by walking in the Spirit. It will not be completely fulfilled until God can once more look upon a new creation with a redeemed mankind and say "It is very good" and that occurs only in the eternal eighth day Sabbath rest of the new heavens and earth yet to come.

That is why the "first day of the week" is given preference in the New Testament as the day of worship (Acts 2:1, 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:1-2) and set apart from the other days by calling it "the Lord's Day" (Rev. 1:10).

It is the day the Lord "made" (same word translated "observe" in the fourth commandment) to be observed by rejocing and gladness as the day God responded to the killing of Christ by the Jews in resurrecting Him - Psalm 118:24 with Acts 4:10.

It is the "proto" or first in a new series of Sabbaths in keeping with the fourth commandment "sabbatou" - Mk. 16:9 in keeping with the pre-Mosaic (Old Covenant Sabbath) in Genesis 2:2-3 which Christ said was made for "man" (not merely Jews) and is kept in the same manner as a day of worship without the levitical restrictions later added under Moses. hence, the levitiucal old covenant Sabbath laws are abolished while the pristine Creation Sabbath continues under the New Covenant as the first day of the week as a day set apart for PUBLIC worship.

That does not mean we cannot worship publicly any other day of the week but only one day of the week is called the SINGULAR "Lord's day" - Rev. 1:10. To be "in the Spirit' is the proper sphere for Sabbath keeping.

#1 The Biblicist, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
  2. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Before anyone over reacts let me make it perfectly clear that I said:

1. The law was never designed to save, justify or sanctify the believer but only to instruct him in the nature of sin and righteousness. The law still retains that value.

2. The Levitical Sabbath laws and the Old Covenant Sabbath has been abolished.

3. The Pristine Creation Sabbath made for "man" (not merely Jews) remains under the new Covenant as a public day of worship designed as "the Lord's day."

4. Its observance is public worship "in the Spirit" (Rev. 1;10; Jn. 4:22) and in truth.

5. There are no Old Covenant legalistic restrictions attached to it as it is the pre-Mosaic pristine Creation Sabbath.

6 . Jesus violated the traditions of the elders concerning the Sabbath. He never violated the Sabbath as that would invalidate him as our Savior and make him a sinner by violating the law.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, what are you up to now?!? :D;)

Would agree it is the SAME Gospel, and promise for that matter…and I'm noting from this that we are seeing how these Words did not profit them of old, the law increased their damnation and only, as always and now revealed, when the promise is mixed with faith that the Gospel exerts its saving power. There is no privileged by pedigree or any other means that grace comes except through true faith.

You can ignore me if you want,:) and I really don’t have time to get super deep into this as it appears you have, and I don’t know where you’re going with this, but I went off into Hebrews 4 and might as well share, so I’ll bite:

P.S. really, if this is off the wall to you, it might be my anti-determinist glasses ;-), so just take it FWIW and carry on.

I’m seeing more than a message of the Sabbath in this, but also as in “instruction” (a “proposition” ~ Wesley) to keep working the work of Christ in that we received the promise of grace and now are to progressively extend that promise to those in the world.

Heb 4:1-3
    (1) Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

(2) For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

(3) For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

As Wesley has said it speaks of further rest and does not speak of us resting from the works that follow the finishing of creation.

God rested from His works yet after that Jesus came.

Heb 4:3-6
    (3) For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

(4) For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

(5) And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Likewise, only in true faith is there a rest for us but once saved the rest for us is not finished as there are others to be preached to.

As well the rest is not finished, meaning that God has not rested from creating as in God still works within time:

(6) Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

The promise continues still today unto all those He created as we are instructed that if you/anyone will hear Jesus’ voice who has come and not harden your heart there is still “real” hope for those yet unsaved. If not He would not have spoken of another day as the SAME Gospel promise continues from creation:

Heb 4:7-9
    (7) Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

(8) For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

(9) There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

(10) For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

(11) Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Those who were tired but now saved entered into rest but as a new creature they are to do as Christ, they now are to work to continue in the work of the Gospel because this Word is powerful and the promise is still effective today:

Heb 4:12-16
    (12) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

(13) Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

(14) Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

(15) For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

(16) Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Without any doubt we are to help others find grace because the work of God creating still reigns as He "Providentially" ;-) dispenses the blessing of the promise in a way of unmerited favor by the power of the Gospel and those who will hear it à have faith à and are sealed in the promise still having genuine hope, in Christ, during this continuing time of need.

:type:

Yep, sounds as instruction to preach the Good News today as still truly effective for all in creation lest one displays unbelief in the Truth of it. Find that grace given to us and give that message into all the world during this time of need.

#3 Benjamin, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
  4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Yep, you are right, your post is off the wall and has little or nothing to do with the OP. However, you did agree that the rest that God entered, man has not yet entered in full and it is therefore still unfulfilled. Indeed, it will not be fulfilled until all believers have entered that rest in spirit, soul and body and God can look once again upon all that he has created and say "It is very good" because once again it will be a creation without sin but this time forever. Palestine rest by Joshua was merely a type. David's rest from all enemies on every side was just a type. The work of the Redeemer is the basis and Sunday is the day that commemorates that work which will bring in a new heaven and new earth all by grace.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

By "off the wall" I only meant that Benjamin's exposition did not directly relate to the subject of the OP. Instead his object was completely different as he did not have the nature of the Sabbath in view as much as his Arminian view. That is why I dismissed it. However, I will go through it and commend or disagree with his assessment of the context.

There is not one word about the Gospel itself asserting any "saving power" as the gospel has no assertive power but any power asserted comes from the Holy Spirit - 1 Thes. 1:5; 2 Thes. 2:13 "sanctification of the Spirit PRIOR TO belief of the truth.

Verse one has reference to the FALSE PROFESSIONS among the Israelites in chapter three where faith was not mixed with the gospel when they heard the gospel.

No, that is not his point at all. God entered into his rest after creating a SINLESS world. His finished work was a sinless work so that he could say "it is very good." It is that sinless rest based upon the finished work of God that God entered into and calls all men through the gospel to enter into. Since, there are more to be called into this rest, the sabbath observance is not fulfilled and the proof is that AFTER the Sabbath day in Genesis 2:3-4 a sabbath observing continued. The bringing of Israel into the rest of Palestine did not fulfilll it either. The subduing of all enemies by David did not fulfill it either.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

By "off the wall" I only meant that Benjamin's exposition did not directly relate to the subject of the OP. Instead his object was completely different as he did not have the nature of the Sabbath in view as much as his Arminian view. That is why I dismissed it. However, I will go through it and commend or disagree with his assessment of the context.

There is not one word about the Gospel itself asserting any "saving power" as the gospel has no assertive power but any power asserted comes from the Holy Spirit - 1 Thes. 1:5; 2 Thes. 2:13 "sanctification of the Spirit PRIOR TO belief of the truth.

Verse one has reference to the FALSE PROFESSIONS among the Israelites in chapter three where faith was not mixed with the gospel when they heard the gospel.

No, that is not his point at all. God entered into his rest after creating a SINLESS world. His finished work was a sinless work so that he could say "it is very good." It is that sinless rest based upon the finished work of God that God entered into and calls all men through the gospel to enter into. Since, there are more to be called into this rest, the sabbath observance is not fulfilled and the proof is that AFTER the Sabbath day in Genesis 2:3-4 a sabbath observing continued. The bringing of Israel into the rest of Palestine did not fulfilll it either. The subduing of all enemies by David did not fulfill it either.

The hebrew "Joshua" is translated "iesous" or "Jesus" in Greek. This does not refer to our Lord jesus Christ but to Joshua and we know this because of the order given between "Jesus" and "David." He argues that what David said was "afterwards" from "Jesus" bringing Israel into the promised land. This proves he is talking about Joshua not our Lord Jesus.

No, it is the very opposite. God has entered into his rest signifying his work has been finished since creation. It is man's works that brought sin into the creation not God's works. Hence, it is man that must enter into such a rest as God's rest - a finished work without sin. Therefore, the Sabbath is not fulfilled until man enters into that rest with God. Therefore there is a continuing sabbath keeping until man ceases from his works of sin and enter into that sinless rest. It is only the finished work of Christ (v. 10) as preached in the gospel that allows sinful men to ultimately enter into that rest (v. 11) which our High Priest has already entered (v. 14).

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Figures you'd be repeating yourself like a false preaching parrot even after having your feathers pulled pertaining to the Biblical order of salvation (Eph 1:13) and you being shown that there was NOWHERE in 2Th 2:13 that said the elect were pre-chosen to believe. :rolleyes:

I'm not actually interested in your thread, but apparently, the hyper-Determinists need to take note of this example before they study their Bibles, so in departing I leave you this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWoidmGCsPE

Although, it is no surprise to me that the Determinist would seek to discount the power of one hearing the Words of the Gospel and would devalue the effectiveness to suite their false doctrines of Total inability as they enthusiastically preach a message of darkness in the world (1John 1:5-6):

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Rom 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (17) For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Rom 10:16-18 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? (17) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (18) But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Rom 15:20-22 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: (21) But as it is written*, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand. (22) For which cause also I have been much hindered from coming to you.
    * Isa 52:15 So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.

1Th 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

1Pe 1:23-25 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. (24) For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: (25) But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

:wavey:

8. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

One of the reasons that sabbath is so misinterpreted, not only by 7DA's but also most dominionists, kingdom now, preterists, historicists and covenanters is because they miss the fact that there are SEVERAL sabbaths in the OT.

Perhaps I will come back later and explain that but I see why Biblicist posted that in this section where it would be more prominent considering the debate over it with 2 7DA sabbath breakers in another thread! :)

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Look, your whole demeanor about this subject is so disgusting that it is useless to even engage you. No objectivity at all! If you had a better attitude I would engage you on another thread. However, this thread is not about "determinism" or "the gospel" but about the Sabbath. If you have something worth while to comment on the OP I will be glad to engage.:sleep:

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Back on track!