1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The "frankenfood" myth

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I might end up in the honky tonk section of Nashville celebrating with Elvis. I see him over there all the time. I'll warn him about the glitter too! :thumbsup:

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Poncho, I can be in Nashville in under two hours from my house in West Kentucky, so let me know. I gotta see this. On a serious note that is where the Constitution Party's nominating convention was, at the Grand Ole Opry Complex two years ago in April.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

There's always an Elvis on Broadway and the river front. Sometimes there's several of them. New Years eve they all come out to show off their new threads. :smilewinkgrin:

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Monsanto's Government Orgy | Brainwash Update

Abby Martin takes a closer look at the incestuous relationship between the White House and Monsanto, by calling out Romney and Obama's longstanding ties with the company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbhtUhebzic

Monsanto: History & Legacy - Abby Martin Reports

Agricultural giant Monsanto is best known for their production of pesticides and genetically modified foods, but they have a controversial history as a chemical company with a slew of toxic cover ups. In addition to their battle against small farmers, the newest buzz about the corporation is the speculation that their GM seeds are linked to the die off of bees. Abby Martin of RT brings us more on their seedy practices and what they are up to now.

The Monsanto corporation makes their money by producing man-made crops, but the company behind some controversial GMOs isn't spared from scandals. RT's Abby Martin discusses with Liz Wahl Monsanto's sordid past and their often untold history with America's agriculture business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3AjwBgPMeU

Obama Signs The Monsanto Protection Act

Obama signs Monsanto Protection Act! It's Time to Label GMOs! We regret to inform you that President Barack Obama has signed H.R. 933, which contained the Monsanto Protection Act, into law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_XtCcMeWrw

Isn't corporatism wonderful?

#44 poncho, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
  5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Gina, I'm sorry, but you are going to have to interpret for me. I have no earthly idea what you are talking about.
    Thanks!!

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

LOL! I was just being silly. Everyone was so busy jousting on their very distinctive sides, and then you mosied along being all nice, so I figured we should all collectively stop and stare. :)

When my daughter was little and we'd go for walks and come across something she'd never seen, she would ALWAYS grab a stick and ask "Can I poke it?" and it would often be followed up with "What do you think it eats?" Actually, she still is that curious. Except now she wants to eat everything instead of worrying what it eats. She just ate a cricket earlier. Crunchy!

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK!!
    I'm a little slow in comprehension at times.
    However, I did get a charge out of your description of your daughter; I can just visualize some poor creature trying to be "invisible" as this huge monster approaches only to be poked.?!:laugh:

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget euthanasia AKA "Death With Dignity" now legal in WA and OR.

HankD

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Study: Monsanto’s Roundup causes “gluten intolerance”

A recent study proposes that gluten intolerance and celiac disease are on the rise as a result of glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide.

The National Library of Medicine states that celiac disease “damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing parts of food that are important for staying healthy. The damage is due to a reaction to eating gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oats.”

The study authors, Anthony Samsel and Stephanie Seneff, have a different view. They point out that this rise in celiac disease parallels the increase in the use of Roundup, and the effects of glyphosate are those listed for celiac disease.

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/study-monsantos-roundup-causes-gluten-intolerance/

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

EPA declares Bt residue on GM soybeans to be safe at all levels

(NaturalNews) In another victory for the chemical industry, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared that residue of Bt toxin from genetically modified (GM) Bt crops is permissible at all levels in soy foods for humans and soy feed for animals. The EPA has essentially relieved the biotechnology industry of all responsibility for this genetic poison in a final rule published on February 12, 2014, which exempts from residue tolerance requirements all soybeans currently grown for and processed into food.

The rule, which is open for public comment in the Federal Register until April 14, specifically exempts soybeans from having to contain less than a certain amount of Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) Cry1F protein residue in order to be considered safe. Under its new EPA designation, Bt toxin will now be considered a "plant-incorporated protectant" (PIP), which directly counters science by implying that GM-induced Bt toxin is somehow safe at all exposure levels.

"Dow AgroSciences LLC submitted a petition to EPA under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), requesting an exemption from the requirement of a tolerance," explains the EPA in its rule summary. "This regulation eliminates the need to establish a maximum permissible level for residues of Bacillus thuringiensis Cry1F protein in soybean under the FFDCA."

EPA exemption will allow Bt toxin in drinking water

What this means is that you and your family will now potentially be exposed to drastically higher levels of a poisonous bacterium protein that, while it does occur naturally in soil, was never meant to be inserted directly into the DNA of food crops. As a result, Bt toxin, which literally explodes the stomachs of insects that eat it, will not only be found inside GM corn kernels, GM soybeans and other GM products, but also on the outsides of soybeans, both GM and non-GM.

Since Bt toxin is already being found in the blood of pregnant women at a rate of around 93 percent, and in the umbilical cord blood of 80 percent of their babies, further eroding what little protection the public has against this poison contaminating the food supply illustrates for whom the EPA truly works. Bt toxin, as you may already know, has been linked to causing allergies, infections, inflammatory bowel disease and a host of other diseases.

"Residues of Bacillus thuringiensis Cry1F protein in the food and feed commodities of corn, field; corn, sweet; corn, pop; cotton; and soybean are exempt from the requirement of a tolerance when used as a plant-incorporated protectant in corn, field; corn, sweet; corn, pop; cotton, and soybean," reads the new federal statute, which you can view in its entirety here:

http://www.naturalnews.com/043993_Bt_residue_GM_soybeans_Environmental_Protection_Agency.html

Of the 40 comments posted so far there is not one in favor.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketBrowser;rpp=100;so=DESC;sb=docId;po=0;dct=PS;D=EPA-HQ-OPP-2013-0704

#50 poncho, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  11. thisnumbersdisconnected

Be a good idea not to eat it then, wouldn't it?

It's a herbicide. Not food.

An "investigative reporter" for Village Voice who abandoned journalism to become a "frankenfood" activist? Really? Not exactly a sterling nor ringing endorsement for his propensity toward "balanced reporting," Ponch.

#51 thisnumbersdisconnected, Feb 23, 2014
  12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Problems with genetically modified food:

#1 The fact that many are engineered to be sterile. It would tick me off to harvest seed, only to find out that my plants have cross pollinated with the neighbors store bought seeds, and are sterile.

#2 Flavor and nutrition: Tomatoes are the best example. Heirloom tomatoes not only taste better, they have more nutrients. This has actually been demonstrated.

#3 The whole idea of "patenting" seed strains is ridiculous, IMHO. Monsanto has destroyed farmers, who have not bought seed from them, because a neighbors field has cross pollinated theirs and produced resistant seed (against the farmers will!); its viewed as a patent violation, even though the person does not do anything on purpose....

13. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Be nice to have that option wouldn't it? So far Monsanto and the other giant bio tech companies have been able to defeat labeling laws.

Might be a good time for you to join the fight. Unless you're okay with not being allowed to know what you're eating.

Once an herbicide is put into the food it becomes food. It also becomes a food source that Monsanto can patent and there for control.

Yes any investigative reporter or scientist that isn't connected at the pocket with the giant agribiz companies like your preferred scientific sources must be kooks. We know you've already told us this.

#53 poncho, Feb 23, 2014
  14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Impacts of genetically engineered crops on pesticide use in the U.S. -- the first sixteen years

Background

Genetically engineered, herbicide-resistant and insect-resistant crops have been remarkable commercial successes in the United States. Few independent studies have calculated their impacts on pesticide use per hectare or overall pesticide use, or taken into account the impact of rapidly spreading glyphosate-resistant weeds. A model was developed to quantify by crop and year the impacts of six major transgenic pest-management traits on pesticide use in the U.S. over the 16-year period, 1996–2011: herbicide-resistant corn, soybeans, and cotton; Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) corn targeting the European corn borer; Bt corn for corn rootworms; and Bt cotton for Lepidopteron insects.
    Results

Herbicide-resistant crop technology has led to a 239 million kilogram (527 million pound) increase in herbicide use in the United States between 1996 and 2011, while Bt crops have reduced insecticide applications by 56 million kilograms (123 million pounds). Overall, pesticide use increased by an estimated 183 million kgs (404 million pounds), or about 7%.
    Conclusions

Contrary to often-repeated claims that today’s genetically-engineered crops have, and are reducing pesticide use, the spread of glyphosate-resistant weeds in herbicide-resistant weed management systems has brought about substantial increases in the number and volume of herbicides applied. If new genetically engineered forms of corn and soybeans tolerant of 2,4-D are approved, the volume of 2,4-D sprayed could drive herbicide usage upward by another approximate 50%. The magnitude of increases in herbicide use on herbicide-resistant hectares has dwarfed the reduction in insecticide use on Bt crops over the past 16 years, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Keywords:

Herbicide-resistant crops; Herbicide-tolerant soybeans; Glyphosate; 2,4-D; Bt crops; Genetically engineered corn; Roundup Ready crops; Biotechnology and pesticide use; Glyphosate resistant weeds

http://www.enveurope.com/content/24/1/24

15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

FDA Hatches Regs to Take Down Organic Farmers

Outlawing natural fertilizer and animals pulling plows? Don't worry. The food supply will be much safer once Big Agra and their factory farms are the only source of food.

Unfortunately, many consumers are clueless about how manure is used on organic farms and how it's used in Washington, DC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmyD2fwI2G8#t=83

16. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Top shareholders in Whole Foods and Monsanto: identical

Is there a Whole Foods-Monsanto connection?

The answer is yes.

But the important question is: what does this connection mean?

What does it imply?

Is it significant?

If you consult open listings (for example, investors.morningstar.com), you can look at the major shareholders of these two publicly traded companies, Monsanto and Whole Foods.

If you read the top 10 shareholders for each company—the holders of the most stock—you’ll see that five out of those ten are the same.

Who are those five?

Don’t prepare to see the names of individuals.

The five are funds. Investment funds.

http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/top-shareholders-in-whole-foods-and-monsanto-identical/

What the Whole Foods-Monsanto connection really means

Yesterday, I wrote and posted an article, “Top shareholders in Whole Foods and Monsanto: identical.” I laid out the five investment funds that hold huge numbers of shares of both companies.

http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/top-shareholders-in-whole-foods-and-monsanto-identical/

This means very little to Monsanto. But to Whole Foods—that’s a very different story.

Suppose, for example, Whole Foods executives suddenly decided the best and most ethical approach to GMO crops is to ban them altogether. Not label them. (I know, it’s a fantasy, but just suppose.)

And suppose Whole Foods led such a movement.

Now, the investment funds that own all that Whole Foods stock could decide Whole Foods was going too far, and needed to be taught a lesson. The lesson could come in the form of unloading WF shares and sending the company’s stock price plummeting.

The message would be: “Look, if you want to label GMOs, it won’t make Monsanto and Dow and the other ag-bio-tech giants very happy, but they can handle the fallout from labeling. If you start to get serious, though, and go for an outright ban on GMO crops in counties across America…that’s a no-no. That’s a violation of the existing order, and we will punish you.”

In other words, if a company is playing in the field of the big boys, the money boys, who buy and sell shares in the millions and billions without blinking an eye, the game changes. The rules tighten. The options dwindle.

http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/what-the-whole-foods-monsanto-connection-really-means/

17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

If ya can't beat em. own em.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

At the request of the OP---this thread will be closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.