1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Freewill Invitation system is a False Gospel

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I discussed it in post 22 what it means. I will add this here. One who is burdened and heavy laden is one who is presently under the burden of their sin sensible manner Like here Lk 18:10-14

10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Now which one of these sinners appears to be more of the character Jesus means in Matt 11:28

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    except that the author of hebrews refers it to meaning freed from burden of trying to get saved by the law and own merits, not really addressing personal sins!

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Rabbit Trail. You did not answer the post:

I discussed it in post 22 what it means. I will add this here. One who is burdened and heavy laden is one who is presently under the burden of their sin sensible manner Like here Lk 18:10-14

10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Now which one of these sinners appears to be more of the character Jesus means in Matt 11:2828Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The burden refers to one trying to keep the law in order to be saved, as the Apostle peter referred to the law has being a heavy yoke and burden!

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

That could be one of the burdens, sure, however they were sensible of their personal sins . John led many to Christ, but what was charaterstic of them ? Matt 3:6

And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

One trying to be saved by works of the Law, must be convicted of trying to be Justified by dead works ! Heb 6:1

Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

That is what the pharisee was guilty of but was not sensible that it was sinful Lk 18:10-14

12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

So again, Christ was calling sensible sinners, burdened with sin Matt 11:28

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

You can deny it from here to Judgment day, The Truth remains !

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Since the story given in Luke 18 has nothing to do with Mat.11:28, your question is invalid.

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Yes it does, The publican fits the description of the ones Jesus is calling in Matt 11:28, if you cant see it, too bad !

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I can see that it doesn't and I can see your twisting of Scriptures.
    1. All people have heavy burdens.
    2. All people can leave their burdens at the feet of Jesus.

Thus the invitation is to all.

9. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

They did because "faith alone" was a relatively new man-made doctrine not found in scripture. Just sayin...

WM

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    recent man made doctrine eh?

paul saw it 2000 years ago in the OT, so is it THAT new and novel?

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

I can see that you reject the testinony of scripture !

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not me.
    Here is the Scripture:

Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Here is my testimony which is in agreement with above:

Christ's invitation has always been to all.

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

Yes, you reject that scripture. That scripture clearly Identifes who Jesus is calling. " All ye that labor and heavy laden " You deny that and say He is calling everyone in the world ! Thats false teaching and witness !

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"all ye that labour"
    --I understand the meaning of "all." Apparently you don't.
    It is not I that reject the Scripture.

15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is talking to some very specific people. The invitation is open to all who hear, but it is only those who are burdened by their own spiritual destitution and weighed down from trying to save themselves by keeping the law who will respond. The corruption of the human soul is such that, without a Sovereignly bestowed spiritual awakening, sinners will refuse to acknowledge the depth of their spiritual destitution. That is why Jesus makes it clear in verse 27 that our salvation is the Sovereign work of God.

The rest He is talking about is rest from the endless, but fruitless, efforts to save themselves by the works of the law.

16. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

tc

Thats correct !

No its not. It is a command to a very specific people ! The word come in the greek is a imperative ! Which is defined:

he imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding. Thus, Jesus' phrase, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15) is not at all an "invitation," but an absolute command requiring full obedience on the part of all hearers.

Yes, and that is who Jesus is commanding to come to Him !

Absolutely, in fact one must be born again of the spirit to realize their own sinfulness !

Yes, Dead Works !

17. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

Yes, and do not forget the rest of Jesus statement and heavy laden ! Apparently you do not have the slightest Ideal of what Christ is talking about !

The word labour is the greek word kopiaō and means:

to grow weary, tired, exhausted (with toil or burdens or grief)

2) to labour with wearisome effort, to toil

a) of bodily labour

Everyone in the world does not fit this description ! You have perhaps millions of people that are atheist and care less about heaven and sin ! I have news for you, Jesus is not calling them to come here in this verse ! You have millions of religious people like the pharisee in Lk 18, he did not appear to be in that frame, but spoke of not being as other men and spoke of his religious duties, but he was a filthy sinner, and did not know it ! Jesus was not calling him or people of his frame of mind in Matt 11:28 !

It was a certain people that God had prepared for the Lord to hear this imperative Lk 1:17

And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

18. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who do you think heard Him? :)

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

AMEN!!!!!

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member