1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Freewill Invitation system is a False Gospel

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

If there was a "skyscraper font", I would ;)

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you tie this into His Sermon on the Mount teaching regarding those who thrist and hunger for spiritual things will those who find it in and thru thru Him?

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Jesus in Matt 11:28 was not merely inviting everyone in the world to come to Him, but was indeed issuing out an Authorative command to certain Individuals, that would result in them coming to Him Just as when He commanded His disciples Peter and Andrew Matt 4:18-20

18And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.

19And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

20And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.

Follow me is the same phrase as come unto me used in Matt 11:28, and no doubt the same results were effected !

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The invitation goes out to all. As one man put it:
    "There is a God-sized vacuum within every man that only God himself can fill."
    Certainly people try to fill that vacuum with their self, works, materialism, humanism, various religions, their own self-righteousness, etc. But nothing but Christ will ever fill it.

The call goes out to all. Only Christ will satisfy the hunger, meet the need, relieve the heavy burdens, make the burdens light, take the yoke from upon them, etc. Only Christ can do that. He accomplished it all on the cross. But only those who appropriate it for themselves will actually get the benefit. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

Thats not what Jesus stated. Furthermore it was not a invitation, it was a command to certain people ! You are changing the word of God, adding to it !

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmmmm. So, you believe that every single person on earth heard Him that day?

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

Everyone does not have that hunger, and Jesus says blessed are those who have it Matt 5:6

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

There is only one type of person who hungers and thirst's after righteousness, those are persons who have been born into the Kingdom of God. New born babes !

For sinners dead in trespasses and sins Love darkness ! Jn 3:19

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

They do not hunger for righteousness !

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The question ought to be: "Will God deny the gospel to those who earnestly seek him."
    Did he deny Cornelius the opportunity to be saved?
    In the OT, what about Rahab the harlot?

There are those that earnestly seek after God. "God if there is a God, reveal yourself unto me." Will God answer them?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And such were you.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you have to change the question so you can avoid answering the first one?

And nobody believes that God will deny salvation to anyone who earnestly seeks Him. Of course, only the elect will do so! That is the point of what I was saying earlier. It was only those who were seeking God via the law who were laboring and heavy laden with sin. They knew their own destitution. The others did not.
    See above
    See above.
    See above.

You have demonstrated the problem I tried to address in my first post in this thread. Both sides get all caught up with terms and rhetorical questions while ignoring the real issue: Does God need your help to save you, or is God powerful enough to save you without your help?

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When Jesus said: "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man comes to the Father but by me," only his disciples heard him. Does that mean that that truth is confined to the disciples and no one else? No, of course not. It is a timeless truth, true for all generations, for all people, especially them that believe on him.

So it is with Mat.11:28ff. Where was Christ? Who was his audience? How many actually heard him?
    How is that verse applicable to us today? Is it just confined to those first century people that heard him on that day, and have no relevance to you or I? I don't believe that.
    I believe it is a timeless truth applicable to all people, especially to those who believe on him.

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prior to your salvation were you a Jew, burdened by law keeping, trying to appease an angry God? If not, how can you claim these verses were speaking to you? The broader principle may be universally applicable, but the fact remains that Jesus was speaking to a specific people regarding (1) their rejection of Him, (2) their burden of law keeping, (3) their means of being released from that burden of law keeping.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John 14:5-6 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Prior to my salvation I was not Thomas, and yet that was one important verse used to lead me to Christ. Was it for Thomas only? Does that fact cast a doubt then, on my salvation?
    Though the fact remains that Christ was talking to a very specific person, it also remains a fact that the verse was very applicable to me, just like Mat.11:28 was and still is.

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. Fine. You refuse to address the issue and keep kicking up a lot of smoke and dust. Your choice. If you won't honestly discuss the verses at hand I have no more time for you.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If "The broader principle may be universally applicable," as you admit, then what is the point of your post? Hermeneutically, we look for Biblical principles which can apply to our lives today.

16. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Matthew 11:28 (KJV): Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    When considering the above it is interesting to look at the context and the following is relevant:
    Matthew 11:20 (KJV): Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:
    Both Chorazim and Bethsaida had at first rejoiced in His miracles. The parallel record in Luke 10 also mentions Capernaum, and the record in Mark 1 of the initial response is remarkable by comparison to the Lord’s remarks concerning Capernaum later on in His ministry.

It is in the context of their failure to respond and repent that the next words are spoken:
    Matthew 11:25-27 (KJV): 25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

There are a number of things to note in the above:
    1. “At that time Jesus answered” indicates that what he is about to say is in response to the failure of the citizens of the three cities to respond to the clear evidence of his miracles and preaching.
    2. God the Father has the prerogative to hide and reveal the things of the gospel to different classes of people.
    3. God has exercised that prerogative, but in the above citation there is indicated the basis upon which he has exercised that prerogative.
    4. God has hidden the gospel from those that are wise and prudent and has revealed the gospel to those who are babes.
    5. The gospel revelation has been entrusted to the Son.
    6. This revelation consists in coming to an understanding or the knowledge of the Father, and the Son.

In the context then of the above Jesus makes the call of the gospel:
    Matthew 11:28-30 (KJV): 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

In reality all mankind labour and are heavy laden and in need of rest, so the appeal is universal, but the response will be from those who are babes, that is those that are humble and teachable.

The same separation process is seen when Jesus called upon all to respond, and as a result the sinners responded, but the Pharisees murmured. Jesus then answered with the three parables of the lost
    Luke 14:35 (KJV): He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
    Luke 15:1-3 (KJV): 1 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them. 3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying,

Again it is God’s prerogative how and when and to whom He shows mercy, but the parable of the Lost Son or the Prodigal Son reveals some aspects of the basis upon which God exercises mercy.

This process is also revealed in the following:
    Matthew 13:9-16 (KJV): 9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. 10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
    Luke 8:15 (KJV): But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

God has the prerogative to show mercy to whom He will show mercy, but the appeal is universal and those that respond are the humble, the teachable, those who have honest and good hearts.

Kind regards
    Trevor

17. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Those who respond have bad hearts and are dishonest. They respond because of the Holy Spirit's conviction of their sins and when they ask God to forgive them through faith in Jesus Christ they are given a new heart.

18. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

"Oh God, look not upon my sins, but take away all of my guilt;
    Create in me a new heart and restore within me a upright spirit."

WM

19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

west

He has if you are one for whom The Lamb of God died for. Jn 1:29

29The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the "World" in that context?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.