1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Fuss Over The Name of Jesus

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DrJamesAch, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me where the Bible commands you to use the name Yeshua. In the original, you know... the text that is inspired, the name given was Iesous. At best, you can make that argument. But you have no Scriptural command citing 1) the command to use the word "yeshua" and 2) an actual place that ever uses the word "yeshua". All of this is based on a Syriac tradition that could be wrong. How do we even know that an Aramaic form of Yahoshua was shortened to Yeshua? You have way too many unknowables in this to state as dogma.

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

HisWitness, let me post from God's word & then ask a question.

Genesis 11: KJB
    1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
    2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
    3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
    4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
    5 And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
    6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
    7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
    8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
    9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Since Genesis, where in the scriptures is there a commandment, from God, that we must utter the same language in order to give honor and glory to Him and His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ?

In the NT, didn't God give some men the ability to use multiple languages to QUICKLY convey the Gospel of our Saviour, so they might hear of Him in their own tongue? -- (Not for a debate point for validity of "speaking in tongues" today.)

In English, my Saviour is the Lord Jesus Christ. Also: Bread of Life, Lamb of God, Light of the World, Mediator, Shepherd, Alpha and Omega, Messiah, Word, Ruler of Creation, to mention a few more names & titles. In order for you to support your side of this debate, do you also use these names and titles, as originally penned? Why chose only two words - God and Jesus - without considering all of their names and titles?

As was mentioned earlier, you used to use Jesus in your posts. Who's doctrine are you using to support your current viewpoint? As a layman, educate me! As a Baptist, educate me! Do you have Baptist based teachings & scripture to support trying to convert me to your beliefs? It is plain that you are trying to do just that.

3. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

if I were you I would do dome more study on that name your using friend.

And learn the importance of Hebrew soundings in the pronouncing of the names--our American culture and belief system is tearing us apart.

Does Iesous sound anything like the name Joshua ? NO
    Jahushua--Jahoshua-Jahshua- sounds just like the name of Joshua

Jesus DOES NOT even close sound like that---whether you know it or want to admit it or not soundings meant a lot to the Hebrew names.

4. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

also in the greek the name is---Ioshua in the original KJV 1611

see how that still keeps its sound meaning for the most part ???

seus does NOT sound like shua--it sounds like ZEUS

they knew the correct name of the Son--but chose to leave it out and give us another spelling of it.

#64 HisWitness, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  5. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

Here it is right here for ALL to see ???????

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Joshua-Chapter-1_Original-1611-KJV/

right off the pages of the original KJV 1611

the correct rendering is---IOSHUA--NOT IESOUS

#65 HisWitness, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Good grief. I am glad I lost my copy of "Legalism for Dummies." HisWitness must have stolen mine. He must be reading the chapter, "Quibbling over the name of God's Son." And, I know for sure that he has been reading "Santa is Just Another Word for Satan."

7. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

IF you knew what you are actually saying--you would be ashame before YAH and his Son YAHSHUA :tear::tear::tear:

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I know exactly what I am saying. You are quibbling over the name of God's Son who has many names in many different languages. Now, if you want to call Him by the Hebrew name then knock yourself out. But, come off your condescending attitude of superiority because you supposedly use the "correct" name.

9. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

believe what you want friend

its ONLY 1 NAME that was given by which Men are saved by---1----

YAH's Son has 1 NAME NOT Many--you are not -scriptural by your comments.

10. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt very seriously God wants us worshiping His name. Very sad.

12. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

think about what you just said friend

He wants you to call upon his NAME

1 NAME given under heaven where by men must be saved.

if you don't know a person's NAME---you DONT know who they are.

13. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HisWitness now you know I like you—so this is not a personal attack—but I’m not sure why your assuming that the 1611 is superior to original Greek (which in the original Greek—Jesus is Iesous—which the scribes who compiled the LXX transliterated from the Hebrew Joshua)—regardless-- my real question is—do you really think that the Lord put a plan of salvation together, which included the Son: humbly leaving heaven & taking on flesh, living a perfect sinless life, allowing himself to be dramatically tortured & killed by Roman crucifixion (one of the most heinous ways one could possibly die), endure the betrayal of his closest friends, put up with demonic mockery, take on the full fury of divine wrath--- then personally beat death the one enemy no human had a chance against—just so he could say—have faith in me--& oh by the way—get the Hebrew pronunciation of my name right—or I will reject you! Is this really how you see it?

14. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All those posts and yet you still failed to provide Scripture to back up your claim. Shocking! Iesous is simply a transliteration of Yehoshua. I've explained why the y's and the i's and the j's came about. If you don't want to hear the truth, then stay blind in your ignorance. That's what this is.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet the Scriptures use other names for Jesus:

Revelation 1:8 - I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Revelation 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

Hebrews 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Acts 3:14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;

Yes, there is one name by which we are saved but are we saved by His name - or by Him?

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

17. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

you also don't understand the true meanings and soundings of Hebrew names either--I suggest you do an indepth study on them.

18. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

you mis-understand what a name is friend--those you listed are TITLES NOT A NAME---BIG DIFFERENCE----wow our tradition has us blinded even more than I even realize :tear::tear::tear:

19. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

A NAME was given whereby men to be saved by---NAME

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What title is "the Amen"? Or the Almighty? Or "the Holy One"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.