1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The future of the BGCT

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Speedpass, Feb 5, 2003.

?
  1. It will "kiss and make up" with the SBC

36.0%
  2. It will merge with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship(CBF)

40.0%
  3. It will become a stand-alone convention, but still work with other Baptist conventions/fellowships

12.0%
  4. It will become a stand-alone convention, but have no ties whatsoever with the SBC or CBF

12.0%
  5. Other--please ellaborate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I am originally from Texas, I have kept a close eye on how the Baptist General Convention of Texas(BGCT) and Southern Baptist Convention(SBC) relate to one another. And I often wonder what the future holds...

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will remain as it is now and has always been, a stand-alone convention that relates with other groups.

Since the SBC has moved away from the core Baptist beliefs espoused by the majority of Texas Baptists, the BGCT has had to take more responsibility for “home” evangelism and cooperation with other states and like-minded individual churches in other states.

I foresee that the BGCT will attract churches from around the United States and the Americas. This will likely involve a name change within the next 5 years to more accurately represent this new union.

I do not think the BGCT will merge with CBF for many reasons – including the fact that many CBF members don’t really appreciate Texas Baptists (ask Joshua about this). [​IMG]

I do this the BGCT will continue to become more ethnically diverse (a very good thing) because of our state emphasis toward Hispanics.\

The BGCT will should continue to be strong for many years to come. :D

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

As a member of the SBC, I really am teary eyed over the separation with the BGCT [​IMG] :rolleyes: .

Since integrity of doctrine was minimized and cooperation overemphasized, this group will fade into obscurity along with every other group that rejects core Baptist/Bible doctrine (since they are the same thing).

I suspect it will stand alone and be as meaningless as the CBF.

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't bust out cryin'...

Um, yeah...

Time will tell. When the Son of Man appears, all things will be judged rightly and we will all see what is true. The organizations will be of no consequence.

5. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always thought you were an IFB Baptist.

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

What made you think that?

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Believer, you obviously have a better handle on the situation because you're on the inside.

But I can tell you how it looks to someone on the outside:

The BGCT will remain affiliated with the SBC until such time as the SBC declines to accept money from the BGCT. LOL. The BGCT Baptists are convinced it has the authentic Baptists, and they won't leave the SBC without a scrap. (We will leave aside the SBC's odd decision not to accept Cooperative Fund donations from splinter conventions in Missouri, for example, while taking money from both the BGCT and the SBTC.)

Neither the CBF nor the BGCT wants a merger; the CBF isn't conservative enough for the BGCT, and the BGCT will not give up its autonomy to anyone. Likewise, the CBF would be swamped by the Texans.

At heart, there is a big philosophical difference between the two. The CBF will not become a convention; the conventional model is becoming passe among its members. The BGCT is an organization within the convention mold; it wants to re-create the old SBC on its own scale.

For what it's worth, which isn't saying much.

8. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In your profile, you state that you're Fundamentalist. And I always thought that more IFB types would be comfortable in using that language--compared to SBC types.

9. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The SBC still needs better theology on separation. As long as we are aligned with so many of these fringe so-called "baptist" groups, we will not be done bleeding. Surgery is the only cure for the years of cancer we have had.

10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preach, I had always thought you were IFB also. I guess I had never noticed you mentioning the SBC.

To the question, Texas Baptists have an historical precedent for establishing a "stand-alone" convention. A large group of Baptist withdrew from the BGCT in 1900, formed the Baptist Missionary Association of Texas, and operated a quarter century as a "stand-alone" convention, with even their own foreign mission work. They stood as an entity separate from the BGCT, SBC, or any other group until 1924. Infighting, loss of churches back to the BGCT, wooing to cooperation by like-minded Baptists, and the formation of the American Baptist Association finally ended the "stand-alonedness". Texas Baptists of different stripes have often walked their own paths - Texas Free Will Baptists are a little different from the further eastern counterparts, Texas Primitive Baptists have often had their own in-fights separate from the main body, etc. - I wouldn't be too surprised if BGCT Baptists could follow in similar footsteps.

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

IFB is in my blood, but I agree with the SBC regarding missions. I am a member of an SBC church. I graduated from an SBC college and now attend an SBC seminary. There is hope for the SBC as long as it doesn't think it is done with the gardening job. [​IMG]

I think that the size of Texas baptists (of all kind) have made them self-sufficient (not in a bad way). Time will tell whether they join one group or another or stay autonomous. :rolleyes:

12. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Not a fan of the BGCT.

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The movement of the SBC in a hard right-ward direction will result in a total split between them and the SBC, even though in spite of the "talk" the BGCT gave the most in the Lottie Moon offering.
    The SBC will then have a seroius problem, since they are already falling short of the needed money for missions. There are MANY reasons for this not just the BGCT strife. This will also cause a serious problem for the BGCT because there are many in Texas that like being called Southern Baptist regardless of what that means and won't want to split.
    I think the question should be HOW will the SBC and BGCT finally split, not if. The follow up question would then be WHAT will be done to assure that both sides save face and feel like they were the winner? An important question when involved in a political situation.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a part (non-member, just couldn't join an SBC church) of First Baptist, Dallas. It was the most "independent" of the SBC I'd ever witnessed. Got into a lot of discussions on the BGCT.

Feel it is a sad caricature of real Baptists and may well link more and more with the liberal fringe. If our own BB's poster child of extreme liberalism is an example, don't think many of the churches will actually head that direction!

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "We are right you are wrong (cause Al and Paige said so) and don't confuse me with the facts!" What I would expect to hear from an IFBer. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...it's a duck. The fact that so many on the board thought you were IFB makes the point as well.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "A sad caricature of real Baptists"? Are you talking about FBC Dallas or the BGCT?

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

The BG... who? Let's hear it for the solid Southern Baptists of Texas Convention! The other bunch in TX can either stand alone or merge with CBF/Mainstream Baptist Netwok types, or they can boot out some of their more liberal leaders and stay with the SBC.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not FBC. I really appreciated that church. While maintaining a commitment to the SBC, Baylor, etc, they started their OWN Criswell College that was doing a great job of training young people. They supported their own missionaries (rather than funnel $$ to blatant liberals in the SBC missions), ran their own programs, camps, etc.

It is the liberal whiners of Texas that are the "sad caricature" of true baptists. God bless FBC-Dallas!

19. rufus

rufus New Member

What is the major difference between the "Baptist General Convention of Texas(BGCT) and Southern Baptist Convention(SBC)?"

I am a BMAer and know many BMA churches in Texas. Thus, I'm merely wondering what is separating the BGCT and SBC.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Rufus [​IMG]

20. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The integrity of men who uphold Scripture as God's revelation.