1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The genuine gospel is neither Arminian nor Calvinist

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AndThisGospel, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

The everlasting gospel is neither the limited atonement of Calvinism nor the provisional salvation of Arminianism. Rather, it is the incredible good news that on the cross the entire human race was actually or objectively redeemed, justified, and reconciled to God by the death of His Son (John 3:17; 17:4; 19:30; Romans 5:5-10,18; Ephesians 2:5, 6, 8, 9; 2 Corinthians 5:19). This is God’s supreme gift to the entire human race, made effective by faith (John 3:16; Romans 3:21-28).

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a person's sins have been atoned for, why does he go to hell? Are you saying everybody will go to heaven?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

No, not at all. The Bible is clear, some will be lost.

Because that person has persistently and ultimately rejected the good news of salvation "in Christ Jesus".

4. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Let me add this: Everyone who is finally lost will be so because they are self-righteous.

Jesus stated the same: "I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:32 By this Jesus meant the self-righteous. And John said, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves,..." 1 John 1:8

The self-righteous are self-deceived. They reject that they need the righteousness of Christ through faith. So they spurn the gospel and harden their hearts. These will be lost....

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah! Good. You had me worried there for a minute. :)

But wait. If all their sins have been atoned for, does that not include the sin of unbelief, and/or the persistent sin of rejection of the good news of salvation in Jesus Christ?

If forgiveness for the sin of unbelief is not included in the atonement how is that sin forgiven?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Matt 12:31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men."

It is the Spirit of God that convicts men and women of their need of Christ's righteousness.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

• Arminianism teaches that we must first do something then God will put us into Christ and redeem us. This view is a form of subtle legalism...
    • Calvinism, or limited atonement, teaches that God saves only the elect. The problem here is how do you know you have been elected to be saved?
    I sincerely believe that both these views fall short of the gospel. What then is the gospel?

The short answer is the gospel is the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ as the Son of Man plus nothing.

The longer answer requires a bit more in-depth study. I'll attempt this a bit later....

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is rejecting Christ?

And that rejecting Christ is the unforgivable sin?

If so, didn't you reject Christ right up until the time you were saved?

And if the sin of rejecting Christ cannot be forgiven, then you still own for that sin, and will pay for it in hell?

I know I was not saved until I was 27, and heard of, and rejected, Christ multiple times before I was saved. So, are you saying that, because I once rejected Christ, and rejecting Christ is unforgivable, that I am not and cannot be saved?

If so, that sounds like Hyper-Calvinism to me. Are you a Hyper-Calvinist?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The alternative is God saves the non-elect. Is that what you believe?

Because I believe Christ died on the cross for my sins, was buried, and rose again for my justification.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calviinism is not the Gospel, but it is the better'referred explanation of wha it really means!

11. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe." 1 Tim 4:10

"So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men." Rom 5:18

God the Father has saved all men "in Christ", but not all will accept the righteousness of Christ.

12. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Continued, persistent unbelief until the unbeliever fully hardens his/her heart is "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit". It is the same as rejecting Christ.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because they did not believe

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus died for the sins of the many, not for the all!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The lost person contnually rejects Jesus until the Spirit enables Him to believe!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they were judged guilty by God for being and staying in Adam...

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But he said that ALL sins were atoned for. If they were atoned for they cannot be held against the person. That would be double jeopardy.

Unless you are saying the sin of unbelief is unforgivable, in which case, as we were all unbelievers before we were saved then our sin of unbelief would not be atoned for and we are all on our way to hell?

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you equate the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit with unbelief? Did Jesus ever say unbelief was the unpardonable sin?

19. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

"The many" is "all men". Let's look at the context:

Romans 5:15 "For if by the transgression of the one (Adam) the many died..."

Romans 5:1 "... as through one man (Adam) sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men..."

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    George W. Knight the third, posits "who is the Savior of all people,, that is, of those who believe."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.