1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The God Man

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Nov 9, 2011.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 1:1 In beginning was the Word and the Word was toward the God and God was the Word. From Greek Interlinear Bible (NT) Scripture4all.org

Deut. 6:4 hear you Israel ! Yahweh Elohim of us Yahweh one. From Hebrew Interlinear Bible (OT) Scripture4all.org
    Jehovah God of us Jehovah one

Jesus speaking of the One who beget him in John 4:23.24 From Greek Interlinear Bible
    the Father such is seeking the ones worshiping Him spirit The God and the ones worshiping Him In spirit and truth is binding to be worshiping

spirit the God

My Question?

Did a being The Word who was with The God impregnate Mary with himself and she brought forth her firstborn son named Jesus?

OR

Did spirit the God, Holy, The Word, Yehweh Elohim One impregnate Mary and she brought forth her firstborn son named Jesus, self emptied of the form of God the form of a slave taking humble and obedient to the One who beget him even unto death of the cross?

Or is this also heretical?

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

What do you mean by "OR"? you saying something different than what I said?

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Is it really accurate to use the word "being" when describing God?

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Well, the bible say several places that "the Father SENT the Son." Also, mary "was found to be with child FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT". So it seems that the Holy spirit did the miraculous work that impregnated mary with God the Son. However, we know from philipians that the son was a willing participant in this, "emptying himself"...

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So you think that God the Father has a body?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I only know of one place that says "Father SENT the Son" and that is in 1 John. That does not mean He was the Son in eternity past. But now that the Word became the Son the Son is sent.

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

This line of reasoning is flawed. The bible never says the Father has a body.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes I agree. There is no reason to believe that God has a body. He is Spirit what ever that constitutes.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

God gave his name as "I am that I am", which basically means he is self-existent. He "is". "To be" verbs deal primarily with the existence of things.
    I am "being" a human. God is "being" God.

I see no problem with calling God a being. As long as we do not call him a Human being, or created being, or a creature; I believe there is no problem. We will always struggle with words to use when speaking of God. In the sentance...

"God is the only eternally existing ___________ in the universe."

...I don't see that there are many words to insert there. "Being" would certainly be an appropriate one.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Fal and I will have to disagree on this one.

I think John 1 and Heb. 1 tell us important things about the eternally existing 2nd person of the Godhead.

I believe that since it says in Hebrews that the "SON" is the one through whom God created the world; I see no biblical problem with saying that "The son" was "the son" from eternity past. He was also the Word.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I understand. I am not trying to get you to convert. I was jsut answering your questions the best I can.

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't think I was but I thought you might think I was. I next post explains what I think but I have not yet read beyond this post.

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used "being" in the context of a trinity as three of something. "Being" is as good a word as "Persons" in other words.

As say An eternal Father, an eternal Son (the Word) and an eternal Holy Spirit with one of those, the Word being brought forth (born) by the virgin Mary as the Son of the Father yet conceived of the Holy Spirit.

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Jesus is God. Isn't Jesus the human being God?
    God sent his son. How did this Son arrive? He came how?
    1 John 5:7 This is he that came by water and blood, Jesus the Christ; not by the water only, but by the water and the blood.
    1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh (*sarx) is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist,

* How does this sarx relate to convicted1's sarx??

The word was toward the God and God was the word. Does this describe two persons or one God that became flesh Verse 14 by being begotten in the virgin named Mary by himself? Was this flesh (sarx) born human being Jesus the Christ also the offspring of David the king and also Abraham. Were there promises made to this human being Jesus the Christ the seed of Abraham from God to Abraham? Did this seed of Abraham receive the promise made to him? What was this promise the seed of Abraham received? What had to happen in order that the seed of Abraham could receive the promise maid to him? Because the seed of Abraham received this promise will other men also be able to be given the promise? Why can we be sure, confident of receiving the promise?

Do not really care about answers just want to give food for thought.

15. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Yes Jesus is God, The son arrive via the virgin birth. I'm not sure what you are asking.

Its good that you don't really want answers, because I can't really tell what you are trying to ask. You are going to have to ask a more concise question, Perhaps just one or two.

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am asking, When stating God sent his son, did he send him by begetting in the egg of the virgin one who developed within her was carried by her and who she brought fourth as a man child who would be called the son of the most high OR
    Did God send himself or a "being" "person" who co-existed with him, the Eternal Son/The Word with the virgin Mary being just a vehicle for his arrival?

Was the Word made flesh Jesus firstborn son of Mary begotten of the Father God or not?

#36 percho, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  17. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Well, if you start with an understanding of an eternally existing trinity God, you have to say that God the Son (or Word, for FAL) existed eternally with God the Father. Several NT verses point to the fact that this Son was in fact involved in the creation of the world. So he did not begin existing at the incarnation, but rather has always existed. It also does not fit the biblical account to say that there was ONE person of God in the beginning, who then sort of "Made" a son.

The biblical language of "Only begotten" should not be taken to say God the Father at some point in history gave birth to a son, or created a son. It has more to do with this son's place of preeminence. Now, some theologians will say the Son is "eternally begotten" of the father, in the sense that a spring of water is constantly flowing out of a mountain, without an actual beginning or end to that outflowing, but that is not clear in scriptures.

It would be correct to say that mary was simply a vessel for Jesus' arrival. However, his human birth was important to make him an actual human being.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

According to the bible the Word became flesh. Not the Son became flesh. In eternity past what we call the second Person of the Trinity was the Word.
    John 1:1, 14
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
    Just believe the clear word of God on the matter. The Word became flesh, not the Son.

19. 12strings

12strings Active Member

FAL:

Just to probe the matter a bit further, what do you believe about the separate roles relating to authority within the trinity. Would you hold that Jesus was TEMPORARILY submissive to the Father while on earth, but that in eternity past and future the members of the Trinity do not have ANY distinction in role?

Or would you say that the "Word" which became the "Son" has a distinct role in which he submits to the will of the Father, both in his sending to earth, and in other areas, and that this submission of role (not in god-hood or power) extends eternally?

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The bible does not give us every little detail on how the Trinity worked before the Word was made flesh. However it does tell us who became flesh and what He was called, the Son
    Just believe the bible and stop trying top figure out ways to make it seem incorrect.
    John 1:1, 14
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.