1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Golden Compass

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pinoybaptist, Dec 7, 2007.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From a PB forum I lurk in.
    I don't know if there is already a thread on this, or if this is the right forum.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

already a thread on it......usual overreaction IMO......I've heard that in the first movie you can hardly even notice any spiritual parrallels......also that the movie isn't even that good.....

No need to get up in arms. Boycotts usually don't do much except make Christians look goofier than we already are.

#2 dan e., Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  3. standingfirminChrist

Regardless as to whether the first movie has any spiritual connotations or not, the fact that we already know that the final chapter, or final movie in this instance has YAHWEH being killed off should tell the Christian that the movie is not something we should desire to watch and that we should warn people of the evil it portrays.

As to the Christian looking goofy because of his or her standing against such trash, I would rather look goofy to the world than to be accepted by them and rejected by God.

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

To each his own.

The biggest problem is that these types of things get turned into the "good" Christians who avoid the movie and the "bad" Christians who may watch it and maybe enjoy it. Let's hope that the author get's some feedback that causes him to consider knowing Jesus, not one that further fuels his unbelief.

I probably won't see it because it doesn't look all that exciting.

5. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Sir, my thoughts exactly. Amen.:applause:

6. standingfirminChrist

The unsaved will more than likely love the movie... especially the athiests.

The author probably will get a lot of feedback from that crowd to fuel his hatred for all that is God.

If a Christian watches the movie, and enjoys it, even after knowing that the final movie has YAHWEH being killed off, then that person is only a Christian in name and not in life. A true Child of God will not take pleasure in such unrighteousness.

7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Allow me to clarify my "goofy" remarks.

I'm not really talking about Christians standing out because they believe differently, or stand up for something that they hold to be true. Rather, I'm talking about our attitudes and behaviors...specifically our reactions to things like this. Often times our reactions do more harm than good....mainly because we've turned into a group that is known for its reactions instead of its actions.

I think it would do good for us to be wise, whether we see it or not, because everyone will see how we respond. We should especially be wise towards our responses to each other....because some of us will see it, and we should be cautious how we treat each other. Not everyone thinks responding with a boycott is necessary. Many will watch it and respond with truth.

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Oh, come on SFIC. Now you're really going to start judging people's hearts?

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you enjoy a movie endorsing literature that mocked your spouse and fantasized about your spouse's death?

What of your pastor?

And yet you don't think it somewhat indicative of a person's spirituality if he supports and enjoys a movie mocking and endorsing the death of his Heavenly Bridegroom and the Pastor and Bishop of his soul?

10. standingfirminChrist

Was Jesus complacent with the many Scribes and Pharisees who were teaching false doctrines?

Was Paul painting a picture of complacency when he penned these words:

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Paul did not tell them to enjoy their heretical teachings (isn't that what this movie is teaching? Satan entering in subtly and deceiving them until at the end, his true purpose is revealed... to overthrow the throne of God).

In 2 Corinthians 6, Paul told us "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,"

John's epistle states:

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Is the command to enjoy these things that go against God's Word? or to love them not?

We used to sing a song as children:

Oh be careful little eyes what you see
    Oh be careful little eyes what you see
    For the Father up above
    Is looking down in love
    So be careful little eyes what you see.

What went wrong? When did such a truth that was a reality in our hearts that we were to avoid such... just vanish from our thoughts, our hearts?

#10 standingfirminChrist, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  11. standingfirminChrist

It is not I who judges the people's hearts, dan. The Word of God has already done that...

I have not judged anyone's heart. I have only revealed that their heart has already been judged by God's Word.

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Okay, let me back up...I may have spoken without addressing what SFIC was talking about. I agree.....I'm not talking about a believer enjoying or taking pleasure in a movie that is so openly against God....even murdering Him. So I see your point and am in agreement.

I'm am merely speaking of a boycott.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

To me the odd thing is the author is an athiest, yet he wants to kill a God he does not believe in. if you wanted to kill God wouldn't you first have to believe He exsisted? You can't kill a God you don't believe exsists.

14. standingfirminChrist

Athiests truly do believe there is a God, donna. They just do not want Him as authority in their lives.

If they did not believe in God, they would not fight so hard against Him.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

thats my point, they 'say' they do no t beleive in God, but in reality they do, or as you say they would not fight against Him.

16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what he really wants to kill is people's belief in God, Donna.
    Misery loves company, and there is nothing more miserable than somebody who believes life is simply about now, and the after is non-existent, and that all that happens is one rots and goes away into nothingness after death, and there is no God to account to, yet unable to live the violent, immoral, unbridled kind of existence that such a belief should naturally demand.

17. readmore

readmore New Member

I've heard this before, but I never understand it. Why are you so certain atheists really do believe in God?

The common example that is given is "unicorns". I don't believe in unicorns, and I certainly don't go around telling people that unicorns don't exist, right? Therefore if I argue against theism, I'm "protesting too loudly"? Sounds good, but is this a good analogy for atheism?

Not really, because really no mature person believes in unicorns. They don't go door to door trying to get other people to believe in unicorns. They don't try to impose morality that is derived from teachings of unicorns on societies through public policy. Wars are not waged in the name of unicorns. People don't challenge you to debates on the existence of unicorns.

18. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I like unicorns, they are pretty.

Once again I find myself agreeing with Standing Firm. And the quote I posted are in my book (to be out soon) but it is the song in it's entirety.

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

So, you're saying that unicorns exist?

BTW, here's a handy definition of an atheist.

Atheist - One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

It's completely illogical to say that an atheist secretly believes in God. If an atheist secretly believes in God, he/she ceases to be an atheist.