1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The gospel of Mark

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 17, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are going through it in SS and the study guide book we are using is so helpful. In this thread we can talk about the book and also talk about some of the big theological themes in Mark. One thing I have noticed is some key words at least to the pastors perspective show up in the KJV but not so much in the NIV and other modern translations. However the ESV or NIV hit other words missing from the KJV and so forth. Let's chat about the book. I will say a study guide is so helpful.

Quiz questions
    The Trinity is mentioned in Mark 1 what verse? Can someone tell me the main differences between Marks account of the temptation in the wilderness verses the others?
    Why is words Wild animals mentioned in Mark and what does this emphasize? According to one of my study bibles an attribute of God is connected to that verse. What is it?

#1 evangelist6589, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My study bible says the theme of the Gospel of Mark is Christ as the Suffering Servant.

My study bible says Mark was written primarily to Gentile (non Jewish) readers, so things like the genealogy of Christ are not included. Aramaic words are defined, and even some Latin words not found in other gospels appear, i.e. cent and executioner.

Many times Mark 1:10-11 is cited as evidence for the Trinity, with Jesus (God the Son) standing in the river, God the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus, and God the Father speaking from heaven.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek word translated "wild beasts" at Mark 1:13 is G2342 therion.

The word refers to wild animals such as the animals indigenous to the wilderness where Jesus was tempted. Some of them could have been predators, constituting a physical threat to Jesus.

The word is also used figuratively to refer to a brutal nature.

4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark doesn't mention the temptations... only that Jesus was led into the wilderness and tempted (if memory serves). One more reason for Markan priority.

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I'm guessing you're looking for the similarity of God walking in the Garden in Genesis to Jesus being among the wild animals in Mark. Is that really an attribute of God, though?

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Very good. This is what we are learning.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes it is because it shows his omnipotence and power over the lions and tigers and scorpions and snakes. As I recall the most deadly scorpion lives in that region and a scorpion that is as toxic as the cobra. God protected the son in the wilderness and controls the beasts and even the insects.

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

For the sake of discussion, was God walking in the Garden in Eden truly a display of his omnipotence? I've always assumed from scripture that it was sort of a custom of God's to move through the Garden with His creation. This was a time prior to sin entering the world.

I know some people who say that nothing died prior to the fall of man, and I know people who say that the "death" spoken of by God in His warning to Adam applied only to Adam and his soul. If the first scenario is correct, then there was no necessity of displaying power, as the animals were harmless to man anyway. If the second is correct, then animals were always dangerous to one another, and after the fall they became a threat to man.

What do you think?

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know this has nothing to do with Mark's gospel.

Adam and Eve were placed in a garden, a protected place of innocence and peacefulness.

What was the garden sheltering them from?

Rob