1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Great blessing of the biblical teaching of Election

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Iconoclast, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

--Soteriology...solid five pointer

--Eschatology...amill covenant believer

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Not dumping on Brother Steve here...within ten miles of home...

--2 CoC
    --3 UB
    --1 Seperate Baptist
    --3 SBC
    --5 FWB
    --2 CoG
    --Jesus Only...don't know denom
    --1 non-denom

ALL of these preach/believe in free will...

My home church is 15-20 miles from home and they are free will in belief. I love my church, too.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Shoot, the hollow I live on...Jennies Creek, there's a non-denom, a Jesus Only, two FWB, a CoG, CoC, UB, and a 1st Baptist, all in about a stretch of 7-8 miles...

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    distain:confused:

Do you sic yourself?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So much for useless prattling midwives who know nothing about where I live nor do they know my hunt for a good church. :laugh:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mother Goose! :smilewinkgrin:

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't Maptists hold though to the scriptures ALONE are the revelation of God, the ONLY source of doctrines/practices?

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not sure.....let me check in the confession of faith...which shows what Baptists have believed for hundreds of years-

those who wrote the confession believed this;

Let me know if you could improve upon this statement. read this statement and then re-read what you posted.

#108 Iconoclast, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
  9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ah...no. Nobody scorned you for going into the bars to bring the Word to sinners. The way you presented your case was that you go into the bars because you enjoyed the atmosphere and the drink, and IF an opportunity came along to speak on behalf of Christ you spoke up.

To me that is not going to the bars to witness to sinners. That is going for self gratification and then IF an opportunity just happens to present itself, well then you will witness, that is not going there seeking out the sinner.

Remember, God judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart, so it matters not what I think, we ALL have our own JSoC to attend, we won't have to convince God of our true motives in any of our actions. You know why you go there, God knows why you go there, I only know what you tell me as to why you go there. My judgment may be flawed, I'm just going by what you told me.

Prov9:8 - "Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee."

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry brother Willis, I'm not starting over with you. We pretty much covered it all. I believe your quote I use in my signature field is what helped sealed the deal for me, even though I was pretty much convinced that Calvinism was flawed. And it is an honest quote from a Calvinistic POV. The Spirit has not allowed me to reach such a conclusion concerning God.

You may believe you read such a thing in the Scriptures, I have been reading the same Scriptures you have for 18 years now and I do not see what you see. I actually find it quite sad and I have prayed to God about your quote even, even asking Him if this be so please make me see it, and rather than seeing it, a heavy sense of sadness presses upon me and I absolutely believe it is the Holy Spirit convicting me that it is not truth. Maybe you should pray the Spirit convinces me that your quote is truth...we'll see what happens.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I'm the third type:smilewinkgrin:

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be the devil blinding you also.:smilewinkgrin:

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    According to the Calvinist model, you would be absolutely correct. In that model the only way I can believe truth and that Calvinism is truth is if the Holy Spirit makes me believe it is so. So all of their arguments trying to convince others is really futile and a huge waste of time. Same goes for witnessing Christ to the lost, no need to go on and on trying to persuade, just give them the gospel and either the Holy Spirit will zap them to believe or He won't. Pleading and praying is futile and coming up with arguments is simply a waste of time.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I offered....

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perfectly said Steaver.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why then does Willis attempt to have dialog with you? Willis identifies as a Calvinist. You are just a bitter man....one who cant see beyond this Calvinist & non Calvinist crap so you have your own little agenda...ie to proove them wrong and thus free the world of this Calvinist scourge that you have congered up in your mind....and you really get a kick out of it don't you, sitting up there on your high horse surveying the world according to you. You know what...it is funny too when you think of it.....in your zeal to prove them mistaken in their pov, you have become quite like them....they also look down their noses at those who aren't them.

So here is what I suggest you do Steve (cause frankly I don't think your that far gone) get down on your hands and knees and repent and then put two of these clowns on ignore. Then go out and seek out people who need the love of Christ...and feed them. Maybe start by showing them Christs love, showing them a living God who loves them and is there for them, one who is working in the lives of sinners. And when you look in their eyes, try to see Christ staring back.....then you will have touched the flesh and found Christ where he lives....not on some stupid opinion board.

"The Word Dwells Among Us" In the poor, in the hope of the unemployed, in the courage of the oppressed, in the presence of each other.

#116 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I belkieve that ONLY the Bible is infallible and a divine revelation from God to us, as he spoke through them and used them to grow His own up in the faith way before there wewre any Confessions of the faith!

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes.....that being said.....so did all who wrote the confession of faith...and all who use them.

So in reality your statement changes nothing. YOU NEVER post the scripture you say you believe should be used.
    Instead of scripture you say.........I think that.....or it seems to me.

I asked you a direct question. Can you improve upon any of the statements in the confession written by men who also believe as posted that the scriptures are the only infallible rule of faith and practice?

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Yesh,

None are saying the WCF or LBCF are infallible like the holy word of God. But they're a framework, a guide to what they/we believe.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you see this confession as having anything to do with whether or not Calvinism is truth? I read through the confession and nothing jumped out at me that I would say I don't agree with although I don't agree with Calvinism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.