1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Great Commission Resurgence

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

I know a lot of you were at the 2010 SBC in Orlando. My question is what is the big deal about the GCR? Pastors booing other pastors and all the heated discussion over wording. I just didn't get it.

How is this a bad thing. Maybe some of you guys can break it down for me better than some of the guys at the convention.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wasn't at the annual assembly but had been following some of the stuff surrounding the GCR.

I too was amazed that some would have a problem with the GCR. Though was not surprised when I heard who were among the chief critics. We need a significantly less structured and decentralized convention. That is dangerous for many because it will influence their jobs. There is fear there.

Yet as we cross into the new century the old ways of doing business in a rapidly dechristianizing society will not work and we need to begin to move the ship. The SBC has had too many people who think they're captains and forgotten who the true head should be. Too much of the opposition is the swan song of many of those fearing a loss of control, power, and influence.

I am thankful for the GCR, but think it needs to go farther in its reach.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I thot the discussion was done with alot of decorum. Maybe you heard people booing, but I may have heard it once. But of you get 11,000 people in a big room, there's going to be some idiots.

No one there was arguing about the Great Commission. They were debating/arguing/talking about the best way to get it accomplished in the SBC. We had some major disagreements about Component 3 which seemed to me and some others that as originally worded downplayed the Cooperative Program. They worked on the wording and changed it. The convention is meant to be a place where we talk about the convention as a whole and that is what we did.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm tired of the accusations against some who oppose the task force report. Charges such as afraid of change to wanting to keep their jobs. Such accusations are really not necessary nor are they true. The end result of this is more control in what happens locally at the upper level. That is reason enough to oppose it.

I heard no booing at any time. If there was they may have been booing what was said rather than booing the person. There is a big difference.

This report was over pragmatic. Dr. Morris Chapman spoke to it and hit the nail on the head. This move will do nothing to resolve and issues. All it does is shift power and control of money. And that is all this is about. Control of money wrapped up in the cloak of the Great Commission. I have church members calling to pull out of the convention all together. Others want to designate funds more closely.

The word I am getting is that the NAMB Trustees do not feel compelled to implement any of this. That is not to say they will not but it is not a done deal. We will have to wait and see.

#4 Revmitchell, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010