1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The great sin of evangelicals

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 22, 2015.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's an old saying that goes something like this, "When the only tool in your shed is a hammer the whole world starts to look like a nail."

Hammers come in all shapes and sizes. You got claw hammers, rip hammers and framing hammers. You have old ways hammers that insist you aren't a real hammer unless you have a 16 ounce head and an ash handle. You have the ergonomic handled hammers, leather wrapped handled hammers and a few mis-handled hammers. You have hammers that have undergone a remarkable transformation having two new heads and four new handles in their lifetime.

You got little tiny brad hammers, brad hammers that think they are sledge hammers that turn their backs on those fancy modern pneumatic hammers.

Hammers are a snooty sort. They look down at all the other tools in the shed. They mock ratchets and pipes and scraps of iron that try to be hammers. They tell the saws and screwdrivers they are inferior to the hammer. "Hahaha!", says the hammer to the clamp. "You miserable little tool."

Whether you are a slimy rock pulled from the riverbank or an 19 ounce Estwing mill-faced Ultra series, black handled hammer you are just one tool in the shed and all you can do is pound. Everything.

I thank God today that not all of His children are called to be hammers.

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I did not post this thread asking for advice. I posted it to encourage people to do what Jonah did. Besides why should I listen to these pastors over people like Ray Comfort, Paul Washer, Richard Roberts, and Robert Peterson. In fact I have been heavily moved not only by Jer 23 but the many passages of scripture that Richard Roberts has been quoting from both testaments in his book on repentance.

No sir you have not persuaded me as to why they are right and other pastors that I listen too are wrong! It's the bible and I believe they speak it more accurately.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

But it's not Washer it's the scripture that is the authority!!!! Richard Roberts quotes much scripture in his book on repentance. People on this board would not read his book but they reject the scripture.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:godisgood::applause:

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

On that, Evan, you are absolutely correct. I just hope you apply it to yourself and trust the scriptures over what Ray Comfort, Paul Washer, Richard Roberts, and Robert Peterson have to say about the scriptures. Last I checked, all four of those men are just as fallible as any man woman or child posting on this board.

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being convinced by scripture is different from having a man convince you of what scripture supposedly means

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I always do and find what they say very backed by scripture.

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

:thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :thumbs:

9. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Don't forget your little stool when you see the light and follow Way of the Evan.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG0mt25_JeU

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the thing--many don't believe that Jonah's methods are workable in today's age.

I already told you--they are experienced, godly men that pastor churches. Why do you post on this board? Why not go find Comfort's forum or Washer's website and interact with your heroes?

OK, show us where the Bible says we are to confront false teachers with letter writing campaigns? Or confronting them verbally? Go on....

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Are Denver, New York, San Francisco, LA, Dallas, Houston, and Chicago without Christians and Churches. God sent Jonah to Nineveh. God can send people where he wishes. But He did not call me to run around telling people whom I don't know they are hell-bound unless they do so-and-so!

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I trust in the sovereignty of God in salvation and do nothing but obey the bible and trust him to draw people go salvation so Jonahs method does work. Even a basic study of repentance will show you that it is what we need to preach these days. It was the first message in the gospel and what Jesus preached (Luke 13:1-5). We are to preach repentance to all men including the false teachers as they are lost as on their way to hell.

If you cared about people you would do this. Someone that will die of a sudden heart attack and IGNORED the doctors warnings about his diet was a fool and he ignored it because he only wanted to hear positive and loving words.

Likewise many sinners including false teachers are dead, blind, and DOMINATED by sin and will be in hell soon unless we warn them!

13. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. We should all be studying the Bible, not just a book about the Bible, or in this case about a topic that the Bible talks about.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where are the Bible verses urging us to engage in letter writing campaigns? To confront false teachers?

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Regardless of what Evan says I believe that only God can convict a person of sin. Then perhaps someone will be able to talk to them about Jesus Christ as at least one one on this thread has said. {Perhaps more, I simply scanned quickly and was impressed by what padredurand said.}

16. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

If Evan was as serious as he says, he would not be "challenging" this board, he would be spending every minute out on the street barking at people on his little stool.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precisely. If Evan would read the book of Jonah rather than read about what someone thinks the book of Jonah says, he might find out that Jonah was sent to Nineveh to preach against the violence and evil they were doing so that God would spare their city from destruction. He was not on a mission to evangelize them to the Jewish beliefs, per se.

18. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For sure.

In our Wed night bible study I lead, I am constantly telling the people to get into the scriptures. Don't take my word for it. Investigate. Context....scripture, scripture, scripture

A couple of weeks ago, a lady spoke up with "hold on a minute. I'm not sure the context supports what you're drawing out of this passage."

I was referencing a short parenthetical insert, which was not in keeping with the larger context. So we stopped, she read the entire passage, and came to the conclusion that I had used that portion of scripture accurately.

So she started apologizing for interrupting, for questioning me, etc.

I told her that what she did made my heart sing. She valued scripture over my opinion. She was investigating context, everything I've been telling them for a year. Trust scripture over man. My words might tickle your ears, but God's word will renew your mind.

19. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

James, that is beautiful. I've had similar experiences in the Sunday School classes I've taught. It is great to see people relying on the scripture instead of the teacher. Amen, brother.

20. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and Amen, brother