1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Great "What If?" History Thread

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Botfield, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Botfield

Botfield New Member

Many historians and writers have pondered what if certain hadn't happened in history. I was wondering what this board felt about this, and have listed a few ideas to get this thread started:

1. What if the South had won the American Civil War?
    2. What if America had stayed neutral in WWII - would Britain have been overrun by the Nazis?
    3. What if Alexander the Great had lived- would he have gone West? Would we have never seen a Roman Empire?
    4. What if Gore had won in 2000 - how would America be different?
    5. What if there had been no Protestant Reformation? Would we all still be Catholics?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a devoted and serious Southerner, let me say this.

If the South had won the Civil War, the victory would have been very fragile. So fragile that war would have broken out again and possibly again and America would have seen a civil war rage on for quite possibly decades.

We are still feeling some of the effects of that war that took place almost a century and a half ago.......so can you imagine the ill-effects that we would be feeling today it the war had raged on due to the South's hypothetical and fragile victory.

There would have been no great United States that fought for the allies in WWI or WWII.

Am I glad the South lost? Well, I'll express it another way. I'm glad that the South was brought back into the fold. I'm NOT glad about the way that the South was brought back into the fold nor am I glad about the after effects of being a "conquered nation" that are still being felt today.

3. Chessic

Chessic New Member

What if...

Adam: "What are you doing? Put that apple down!"
    Eve, taking a bite: "It's not so bad. It tastes fine."
    Adam: "We aren't supposed to eat it!"
    Eve: "Don't have a cow. Take a pill. It's just a piece of fruit."
    Adam: "God will curse us for this disobedience."
    Eve: "Curse us? Why? You heard the snake; eating this will make us more like God. Have you ever known a snake to lie? Btw, why are you naked? Ack! Why am I naked?"
    Adam: "What are you talking about?"

How would human, and especially male-female relations be different if Adam had not willfully sinned. Since Adam was not deceived, as Eve was, Adam's sin was willful. What if he'd chosen to obey?

Would women have a "knowledge of good and evil," and men not? Would women age and men not? Would Christ come to die for women and not men? Would the story of Cain and Abel be replaced by the cat-fight between Doris and Betty?

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think God would have judged Eve, sentenced her to fit retribution, and then created a new help-meet for Adam and they would have lived together in perfection.

Firstborn son would, of course, be named 'Bob'.

:saint:

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd suggest you take one of these and make it a topic. Too broad to try answer 5. Just my opinion.

6. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

One for the box.....would be ......what if the Roman Church had not prevailed and the Celtic Church had........

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if Dr Bob had answered all 5 questions?:laugh:

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Over the years many (northern) States would have attempted to join the CSA (not including NY, New England)
    2. Yes, Britian would have been overrun, then it would have been too late for us to be involved. The Nazi would have invaded the East Coast; Japan the West Coast:tear:
    3. I'm too young - I defer to Dr Bob:saint:
    4. No problem - see question 1:applause:
    5. Many more would have been, but there would be a whole lot more Baptists:praying:

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What if Calvin had been a free willer? What on earth would have filled up those threads on BB?

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HE would have went back to his orginial question: Did Adam have a belly button:type:

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

1. WHAT!!!! WE LOST??????!!!!

2. To hear the average British citizen---they would say NO!!! But bowing down to the feet of Bernard Montgomery---my soul---he liken to have had to suit for peace after the bewailed Market Garden!!!!

But to answer the question----no question about it----the UK would have been "assimulated" into the Third Reich. Even with forces on both fronts--the US, UK, Canada, etc on the Western Front and Russa on the Eastern Front---victory over the German War Machine was still uncertain up until a week before the NAZI unconditional surrender.

3. Wasn't George Patton Alexander the Great---or was it the other way around????

4. From the mouth of General Dwight Eisenhower---"If Hitler invaded Hell, I'd side with the Devil!!!!"

We can only get down on our knees before a Holy God and thank Him that that didn't happen!!!

5. No---I don't believe!!! My daddy married my momma---she was Roman Catholic---he was Southern Baptist----Southern Baptist won out!!!!

12. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Wow! I'll even say it backwards: wow! That musta been interesting to grow up around, if both of them were strong believers.