1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The greatest error on bb

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God is logical.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Where do the scriptures say that God has to be in absolute control of every minute detail?

This is a serious question, I would like to see where you get this view.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

A big amen and ditto to you sir!

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The quotation marks were identifying what YOU SAID.

YOU SAID Bobby Fisher was in "complete control" while describing him in a way in which he LARGELY had no control. In fact the kind of "complete control" you speak of in your anecdote has Fisher only really controlling the END result of it all- which is what I figure you believe about God basically. I figure you believe God intervenes from time to time, but that BILLIONS of things happen every day apart from his purposes and totally out from under his control- he only controls them in the sense that he will work them out in the END.

EDITED to note that your words were actually "TOTAL control"

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Could you please answer the question? I want to know what scripture says God is in absolute control of every minute detail of what happens. This is a serious question, I want to see what scripture makes you believe this view. No tricks here, just a serious question.

Now, that said, I might interpret the scripture you present differently than you. I do not know, because I do not know what scripture you are going to present.

But I would like to see where you get this view.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right.

If not, then there is no point in talking about him at all.

He can keep his word and NOT keep it all at the same time. He can exist and NOT exist all at the same time.

It is BECAUSE he is logical that he is so wonderful and trustworthy.

Logic proceeds from God the exact same way that love proceeds from God.

If logic is bunk as some would insinuate then this conversation, as well as all conversation, is meaningless.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I will post them but you have ignored a point that I want you to address.

"TOTAL CONTROL" was not my words. They were YOUR words. I believe them- for certain.

But you do not.

You said that God's control is something like Fisher's control in that he has TOTAL CONTROL over the chess game while the player makes his own moves.

So in this TOTAL CONTROL Fisher has no control over his opponents opener and upwards of a dozen or so other moves.

Do you not see that this violates the law of non-contradiction?

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Here are a few to get us started.

Note for those who would like to say that I am doing that which I repudiate in simply copying and pasting verses with no exegesis that I am only doing it because it has been requested that I do so.

Exod 4:11 Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man’s mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord?

Deut 32:39 See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

2 Chr 20:6 and said, “O Lord, God of our fathers, are you not God in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. In your hand are power and might, so that none is able to withstand You.

Ps 103:19 The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, and His kingdom rules over all.

Ps 115:3 Our God is in the heavens; He does all that He pleases.

Ps 135:6 Whatever the Lord pleases, He does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.

Isa 45:5-7 I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides Me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides Me; I am the Lord, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.

Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all My purpose,’

Dan 4:35 All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and He does according to His will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay His hand or say to Him, “What have you done?”

Luke 1:37 For nothing will be impossible with God.

Acts 4:27-28 For truly in this city there were gathered together against Your holy servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever Your hand and Your plan had predestined to take place.

Acts 17:26 And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place

Rev 17:17 For God has put it into their hearts to carry out His purpose by being of one mind and handing over their royal power to the beast, until the words of God are fulfilled.

Prov 21:1 The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He will.

Isa 6:10 Make the heart of this people dull, and their ears heavy, and blind their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed. (Note – this is the 3rd most frequently quoted passage in the NT)

Ezek 36:26-27 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes and be careful to obey My rules.

Mark 4:11-12 And He said to them, “To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything is in parables, so that “they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand, lest they should turn and be forgiven.”

John 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

John 6:65 And He said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

John 8:43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word.

John 10:26 But you do not believe because you are not part of my flock.

John 12:39-40 Therefore they could not believe. For again Isaiah said, “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, lest they see with their eyes, and understand with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them.”

Rom 6:17 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed,

Rom 8:7-8 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Rom 9:18 So then He has mercy on whomever He wills, and He hardens whomever He wills.

Rom 11:8 As it is written, “God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes that would not see and ears that would not hear, down to this very day.”

#88 Luke2427, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
  9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I openly admit I did not bother opening the link as the sentence before your link pretty much summarized everything I needed to know about your take on the matter. You equate truth with YOUR LOGIC (question begging fallacy), as you seem to think YOUR LOGIC is the only correct option available.

With that said, I really don't see any problem with Wilson's statement quoted above, but I wonder how you can live with it considering that he believes "A cannot be not A" and you have argued that God says he makes choices but they are not choices.

If A = choice; then your view is illogical according to Wilson.

Not just the 'essence of the OP' but the self revelatory fact of it...

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And by that you deny that logic is objective.

Come now. God says he forgets too, doesn't he. To say that he really does not forget is not to say that one does not believe the Bible. In fact it is to verify that one DOES believe the Bible- not just an interpretation based on a single passage not compared with other passages to derive it's accurate meaning.

Wilson does not believe God makes actual choices either but like me that that language is anthropomorphic- just like the passage that says God will not remember.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I really do not see a contradiction. I used to play chess a bit, and I was pretty good. I was not in Bobby Fischer's league of course. But a master player knows every move you can make, and he knows how to counter it, or manipulate it. Of course, his opponent is equally skilled and so makes for a very interesting match.

God can counter anything we do. It is like when God put an angel in front of Balaam's ass.

Num 22: 21 And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab.
    22 And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of the LORD stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants were with him.
    23 And the ass saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the ass turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the ass, to turn her into the way.
    24 But the angel of the LORD stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side.
    25 And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again.
    26 And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.
    27 And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff.
    28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
    29 And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
    30 And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.
    31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
    32 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:
    33 And the ass saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive.
    34 And Balaam said unto the angel of the LORD, I have sinned; for I knew not that thou stoodest in the way against me: now therefore, if it displease thee, I will get me back again.
    35 And the angel of the LORD said unto Balaam, Go with the men: but only the word that I shall speak unto thee, that thou shalt speak. So Balaam went with the princes of Balak.

Your view does not make sense to me. Why would God cause Balaam to saddle his ass and go with the princes of Moab, and then God put an angel in the way to prevent Balaam from going? That is God divided against himself, God fighting against his own purposes.

I said that in another thread recently, determinism is illogical and nonsensical. You have God pitted against himself, he makes Balaam attempt to go on his ass, and then God prevents him from going.

Do you not see a problem with this view of yours?

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So "TOTAL CONTROL" to you means hardly in control at all until the end.

This is why your name is in my OP.

13. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

All those scripture points to one thing. If the world falls apart around us who can change it or what is it being used for one thing for us to repent turn to God now through Jesus Christ for He is our only salvation and firm foundation. We may be tortured put death as a believer but we are not to turn away from Him. Why worry about the one who can destroy the body but not the soul.

It is to train us to preserve so we are to praise God even through the worste of times only He can save our soul.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Do you believe one person in the Godhead can know something and the other two not know the same thing?

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

More than that they speak to the fact the God is ACTUALLY God- not God light, but God- in total control of the beginning, middle and end. In control on an intergalactic level and a subatomic level. In control of good and in control of evil.

They teach that God has purposes and he controls everything as he brings those purposes to pass.

And we, his people REJOICE at this knowledge.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Thank you for posting these verses Luke, but none of these verses say God controls every minute detail of what happens. I am actually surprised you did not show these verses.

Mat 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.
    30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

If you ask me, these are the two best verses to support your view in all of scripture. On first glance they could be understood to suggest that God controls every minute detail of what happens.

But what is this passage about? Worry and fear, Jesus is telling his hearers not to worry, because God values them very much, much more than sparrows. This passage is not really teaching that God controls every minute event that happens.

I just wanted to see where you got your view. I could post scripture that I believe refutes this view, but I doubt it would convince you.

17. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

If we are blind or can not even hear to understand we are to turn to Him He is the one to lead the deaf dumb and blind man to the truth. All the control is to accomplish His will for us for He desires the destruction of no one but rather them to repent and live. Praise His name even in the worste of times.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, they do.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luke, none of those verses say or even suggest God controls every single thing that happens.

#99 Winman, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
  20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, they do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.