1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The HCSB Scores Big On doulos...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Jan 11, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Outside of the obvious master/slaves relation, most MVs translate doulos/douloi/sundoulos/sundouloi as either servant (s), bondservant (s) or fellow servant (s) or fellow bondservant (s).

2. The HCSB, however, has rendered these Greek terms as slave (s) and fellow slave (s).

3. The HCSB is correct. Notice that the NASB has bondservant (s) and the ESV servant (s) with the fn. of Or slave (s) Gk. Bondservant (s).

Phil 1:1

NASB: "Paul and Timothy, bond-servants of Christ Jesus"

ESV: "Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,"

HCSB: "Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus"

4. But in Eph 6:5 the NASB, ESV have "slaves" and not "bondservants" or "servants." This is an obvious weakness.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding Phil. 1:1 -- the TNIV has 'servants' . The NLTse has 'slaves' .

With respect to Eph. 6:5 -- the TNIV and NLTse both have 'slaves' .

Hurray for the NLTse !

3. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

The theology and history of translating doulos as "slave" or "bond-slave" is so rich that there is an entire sermon in that single word-study.

Really cool.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

TCGreek,
    I know that the study of the Greek language is a hobby of yours. Are you self taught? How have you recieved your training? Just curious.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Hi POB,

1. I just noticed you are in Spokane, Washington where William Mounce is pastoring at Shiloh Hills Fellowship. He's that Greek guy, who has authored the best-selling beginner's Greek The Basics of Biblical Greek.

2. In college I did my minor in Greek and in seminary I majored in Greek. But I'm still a work in progress.