1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The hidden dangers of Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Sure. Calvinism is only a nickname for the gospel. We don't need "Calvinism" as a name.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

It is stated in combionation with the Blood of Christ in overcoming the power of satan.

Do you really care to explain salvation, the Christian walk, and our defense against the powers of darkness apart from the Blood?

Do you really care to explain how anyone has a testimony apart from the Gospel and that Gospel devoid of the Blood of Christ?

Do you really care to explain how Paul gave his testimony in nearly every Epistle and claim he didn't think it was part of the Gospel and inherently a major component in his preaching the Gospel?

Yes, God calls all those who are saved the elect. All men are sinners, yet the elect are those saved by grace through faith/ saved sinners.

"Elect" carries the conotation of a past action, not a previous condition.

Calvinism teaches a previous condition that the Bible never teaches.

Sure, "All who will come unto me I will in no wise cast out". All those who were not saved were never elect until after they got saved. That is the primary essence of election.

Election is the condition of the saved, not the process of getting saved prior to repentence and devoid of grace through faith.

Really? Can you show me a passage of Scripture that Calvinism is out of harmony with? (I hope so, because I have asked before and no one ever seems to be able to give one).[/quote] II Peter 3:9 w/o any of your convolutions.:laugh:

No, you read into anything I say attempting to hold onto something you should have turned loose of many years ago.

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

double post

#303 Salamander, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Um, where did the Lord ever give nicknames for the Gospel?

Thank you for admitting man's attempt to intervene and add something to Scripture that doesn't exist!:tonofbricks:

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

When you start making accusations against God count me out.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

We are not talking about the blood here.

HMMM … And what is this difference? The Bible says that God chose us to salvation. That sounds like a past act to me.

So being “chosen to salvation from the beginning” is not a previous condition? What is it?

Perhaps you missed the question. I asked for evidence of a non-elect person getting saved. This verse has nothing about that, so far as I can tell.

So when the Bible says that God chose us to salvation from the beginning, does that mean that we were saved from the beginning? You are starting to sound like a hyperCalvinist.

You are right that election isn’t a process of getting saved.

2 Peter 3:9 is not out of harmony with Calvinism. It is the same thing that Ezekiel says, that God does not take pleasure in the death of the wicked. (If you actually harmonize the Scriptures, you will see these things).

So you are saying I should turn loose of the Bible and follow you? That’s an easy choice for me.

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

He didn't.

What? The nickname is a name for a set of beliefs about the Bible. It is not adding anything but a name, same as with Trinity or Rapture or many other examples. It is just a name given to biblical teachings.

I haven't made any.

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

#308 Jarthur001, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This thread has reached its 30 page limit for thread space and will be closed

Blackbird

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

page 31 and we have yet to see a danger.

Must be at least one real danger. Come on guys....just one.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.