1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The hidden dangers of Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I have been called an Arminian Calvinist or a Calvinistic Arminian, and I am quite content so long as I can keep close to my Bible. I desire to preach what I find in this Book, whether I find it in anybody else's book or not." --Charles Haddon Spurgeon

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Perhaps the greatest danger of Calvinism is thinking you understand it when you don't. It causes you to make false statements about it.

3. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Word

I'm sorry but what is important is God's word. If it isn't true where is God's glory.

If God doesn't want all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth then His word is a lie. If all men don't get saved God still receives the glory because God is not going to save all men but believers in His Son.

Now if believers in His Son don't get saved then there is no glory because God word is a lie.

God received the glory not from our free will but because of His word is true.

We are to spread the Good news and who so ever believes shall be saved and whosoever does not stands condemned already.

Not just the elect get saved but according to the word of God, God has also included with them, those who hear the Gospel of thier salvation having believed. They have become part of His elect.

I pray one day we will be one, when Christ returns instead of debating over things you don't understand

#23 psalms109:31, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Were you referring to yourself as a 2 or 3 point Calvinist just to impress somebody? No wonder you fell off the fence!

Listen friend, if you want to believe in the power of the "free" will of man, have at it, but your general attack on Calvinism and Calvinists is way off.

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

So Spurgeon accepted the idea of paradox or perpetual tension. Big deal - lots of Calvinists do that. (not me). But remember that this paradox requires Spurgeon, as a Calvinist, to explain how God is willing to save all men, and yet does not will their salvation effectually as he does in the elect.

Beyond that, Spurgeon's doctrines are not even remotely similar to Arminianism or "calminianism".

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "A certain somebody drew up five or six doctrines, and said, "There are the doctrines of the Bible," and ye believe these, but you want to have your faith increased, for you do not believe a great deal more that is in the Bible. I do not think I differ from any of my hyper-calvinistic brethren in what I do believe, but I differ from them in what they do not believe. . . .perhaps Calvin is made the standard and what business has any man to think a single thought beyond Calvin? Blessed be God, we have gone a little beyond that; and we can say, "Increase our faith." With all our admiration for these great standard divines, we are not prepared to shut ourselves up in their little iron cages; but we say, "Open the door, and let me fly—let me still feel that I am at liberty. Increase my faith, and help me to believe a little more." I know I can say I have had an increase of faith in one or two respects within the last few months. I could not, for a long time, see anything like the Millenium in the Scriptures; I could not much rejoice in the Second Coming of Christ, though I did believe it; but gradually my faith began to open to that subject, and I find it now a part of my meat and drink, to be looking for, as well as hastening unto, the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." ---CHS

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Calvinists of Spurgeon's day objected to his evangelistic methods. They objected to things like bringing Moody/Sankey into the church, which Spurgeon did. It is in this context that Spurgeon was CALLED an Arminian Calvinist. Notice HE DID NOT REFER TO HIMSELF IN THOSE TERMS. He was merely accepting the pajorative label as a badge of honor thrown on him by his critics, thereby diffusing their influence in his ministry.

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does this have to do with the OP?

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

And when that light in thee is darkness, how GREAT is that darkness.

Whosoever sheds light in the darkness of limited atonement.

Whosoever designates the will of the penitent responding to light shone in darkness, it does NOT determine his response! This clearly is choice after enlightenment.

Men reject light due to their love for darkness. To reject something one HAS to incorporate choice.

Irrestible grace does not exist; Festus and Agrippa BOTH resisted grace. There is light shining in the fact of resisting grace will ultimately bring destruction. Thinking othewise is to choose darkness rather than accept light.

Adam chose to disobey the Lord. Adam excercised his will in that choice in fear of losing Eve. Eve chose according to her desire to gain unknown before knowledge other than what the Lord had passed on to her through her husband Adam. Her desire controlled her DECISION. Although she was beguiled by the serpent, she still chose to partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge.

Adam and Eve chose to hide their nakedness with the leaves of the fig tree. God chose to clothe them with the skins of animals AFTER they chose to cast away the fig leaves and choose rather what the Lord provided for them.

Salvation works the very same way: Man chooses to believe or reject. He can see no more than religion, but then through enlightenment and exposure of his sin/ nakedness before the Lord, he reaches, by choice, to be apprehended by the arms of grace offered to him. he may choose to reject this arm of salvation after enlightenment, or he may make the right choice and fall into those arms of grace.

God chose to save all that will come to Him. God did come to man first to make the offer, it is then up to any man to come for what God offers.

Coming to the Lord is what Jesus said that all men should be let to come to him.

The rich young ruler came to Jesus for knowledge, yet his love for riches caused him to go away in sorrow. That was not God's choice but only the choice of the young ruler.

Jesus told the woman of Samaria if she had asked him for water he would have given her living water. She then asked for that water by choice after illumination. She could also have departed in the sad state as the young ruler, but she wanted light rather than the darkness she had already known. The young ruler departed in darkness.

Calvinism's dogmatisms are darkness for they reject light. It's teachings attempt to limit light to only a chosen few, yet nothing can be hid in darkness for His life was the light of men, not some men, and the darkness comprehended it not.

This presents a dilemma for calvinists; they must either choose to receive that same light or choose to remain in darkness of these facts of the Gospel for any man to reject Christ or to receive Christ.

Is there a danger to calvinism? Certainly, it's called the hidden danger found in darkness/it has no purpose other than to exalt ones own view of the word of God contrary to the whole counsel of God.:tonofbricks:

10. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

You have no idea what calvinism is. This is evidenced in many ways. One such way is how you've redefined the doctrine of irresistable grace.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What do you disagree with? How did he re-define the "I"?

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What's the dilemma?

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every Calvinist I ever met has said that these are the doctrines of Grace.
    Total depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited atonement, Irresistible Grace. and perseverance of the saints. Not one Calvinist has ever proven them to be biblical. Every passage they attempt to prove it with are taken out of context.
    They change the meaning of the title of each doctrine of grace to where The "T" is an inability to respond to the gospel with out being saved first. Absolute nonsense. Which is not in scripture. They change The "U" to a praticular election which again is not biblical. The "L" attempts to limit The atonement that Christ paid for the sin of the whole world. The I is flat out contradicted by scripture. The Jews always did resist and Jesus said so and by saying that such a thing exist makes Christ a liar. The "P" is a complete misunderstanding of what eternal security really is according to scripture.
    No sir there is nothing biblical about the so called doctrines of Grace.

There is only one doctrine that counts and is biblical and that is the doctrine of Jesus Christ. And most assuredly it is not condemning the word of God to call Calvinism and the so called doctrines of Grace a Heresy.

Any doctrine that does not adhere to the Bible is heresy.
    MB

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oboy, here we go again:BangHead: . I guess that Bashing Calvinism Conference somebody had last week is having its affects. It seems all the Arminian crusaders are out to destroy those same strawmen again that have been built and destroyed over and over.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't know about Arminians since I'm not an arminian. I'm a Bible believing Christian. If I've said anything that isn't true please correct me with scripture.
    MB

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Okay, you're not an Arminian. Happy? And everything you said is true inasmuch as it expresses your opinion. But as to whether it is factually true that there are no proof texts to support the doctrines of grace, let God be true and every man....well, you know the rest.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Buy a theological barrel-organ, brethren, with five tunes accurately adjusted, and you will be qualified to practise as an ultra-Calvinistic preacher at Zoar and Jireh, if you also purchase at some vinegar factory a good supply of bitter, acrid abuse of Arminians, and duty-faith men. Brains and grace are optional, but the organ and the wormwood are indispensable. It is ours to perceive and rejoice in a wider range of truth. All that these good men hold of grace and sovereignty we maintain as firmly and boldly as they; but we dare not shut our eyes to other teachings of the word, and we feel bound to make full proof of our ministry, by declaring the whole counsel of God." ---Charles Haddon Spurgeon

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I remember saying something on this subject on one occasion in a certain ultra-Calvinistic place of worship. At that time I was preaching to children, and was exhorting them to pray, and I happened to say that long before any actual conversion I had prayed for common mercies, and that God had heard my prayers. This did not suit my good brethren of the superfine school; and afterwards they all came round me professedly to know what I meant, but really to cavil and carp according to their nature and wont. "They compassed me about like bees; yea, like bees they compassed me about!" After awhile, as I expected, they fell to their usual amusement of calling names. They began to say what rank Arminianism this was; and another expression they were pleased to honour with the title of "Fullerism;" a title, by the way, so honourable that I could heartily have thanked thern for appending it to what I had advanced. But to say that God should hear the prayer of natural men was something worse than Arminianism, if indeed anything could be worse to them. They quoted that counterfeit passage, "The prayer of the wicked is an abomination unto the Lord," which I speedily answered by asking them if they would find me that text in the word of God; for I ventured to assert that the devil was the author of that saying, and that it was not in the Bible at all." ---Charles Haddon Spurgeon

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

:laugh: There is no such thing as irrestible grace so no one can define it or redefine it.

Now if you said resisitible grace the Bible defines it in the lives of Festus and Agrippa in the Book of Acts.

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The ideal of not being able to choose Christ or reject Christ. Calvinists believe only the elect can choose Christ.

The Bible teaches that only those who choose Christ become elect.

Darkness cannot explain away light.

Jacob was never elect, yet after the operation of God Israel is elect and precious.

Jacob resisted grace until he chose not to resist any longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.