1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Holy Spirit in Evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Nov 7, 2016.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have much time today, but want to get this started. I'll contribute more tomorrow.

With the current threads on evangelism and the Great Commission (GC), I would like to examine with this thread the various ways the Holy Spirit helps in evangelism, remembering (1) that He is the Paraclete, the Comforter/Helper, and (2) Any exegesis of any of the five statements of the GC is flawed if it does not include the influence and help of the Holy Spirit.

Note:

"All power is given unto me" (Matt. 28:8). This obviously speaks of the Holy Spirit.

"And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen" (Mark 16:20). The Holy Spirit's work is just as important in Mark's GC as is proclaiming the Gospel.

"Tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high" (Luke 24:49). This speaks of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost.

"And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost" (John 20:22).

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth" (Acts 1:8).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the work of the Holy Spirit is indispensable in evangelism, and indeed for everything we do for the Lord..
    We need to be praying that He will give us the words to speak, help us to speak them truthfully, boldly and winsomely, and open the hearts of those who hear us (Acts 16:14).
    'Unless the LORD builds the house, the labourers work in vain.'

But the command remains: "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature' (Mark 16:15). We go and pray that the Lord will go with us and empower us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love that old hymn, "Brethren We Have Met to Worship"--

1. Brethren, we have met to worship and adore the Lord our God;
      Will you pray with all your power, while we try to preach the Word?
      All is vain unless the Spirit of the Holy One comes down;
      Brethren, pray, and holy manna will be showered all around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless all evangelism is enabled/empowered by the Spirit, there will be no real soul winning...

You miht have big numbers coming into the building, but not many really saved, nor maturing once saved!

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A search on YouTube brings up a multitude of videos in various styles and by various groups.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think much evangelism is simply usurping the Holy Spirit by psychological manipulations in producing of professions. Initial salvation is being actually saved from sin's bondage of the heart so that a new creature comes into existence. The heart change precedes any mouth change (Rom. 10:10).

With regard to public worship, much confusion exists as to what precisely is true worship. What we have today in many instances is manufactured emotionalism and "feel good" activity that is confused with true Holy Spirit empowered worship. True worship always is combination of "in spirit" and "in truth" and the truth of the gospel and the truth of God is vital to true worship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately the "Rick Warren" style of church has overridden Baptist distinctives....esp in New Jersey. It also forces out a type of pastor who they consider "Old School" in favor of this feel good baloney. So what are you supposed to do in order to counter the circus atmosphere?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but the parable of the four types of soil teaches that there may also be false professions that can fool the one doing personal evangelism. Again, the key is the Holy Spirit at work.

Again I agree, and I think this would be a good topic for another thread. There is much error concerning the meaning of "worship." I go by the two Greek words most translated with that, proskunew (I bow down) and latreuw (I worship/serve).

9. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course, but one reason (not the only reason) for such false professions is manipulative evangelism.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    interesting topic - what part of evangelism is played by the Holy Spirit.

1) First, can a person effectively present the gospel while unsaved?

2) Can a person receive/accept the gospel and put their trust in Christ without
    being "enabled" by the Holy Spirit? By "enabled" I am referring to being supernaturally altered.
    Of course the Holy Spirit played a part in inspiring the New Testament which contains our gospel message.

3) Are we empowered as the Apostles? Can we do signs and wonders to authenticate our message
    and does the leading of the Holy Spirit in our lives give us "inspired" insight such that we could add to scripture?

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've given several ways the Holy Spirit helps.
    1. Guides our words.
    2. Gives us boldness (Acts 4:31)
    3. Prepares the hearts of the lost.

Amen! All evangelism must be accompanied by prayer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are other actions of the Holy Spirit in evangelism. Anyone want to take a stab at them?

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously the Holy Spirit is not in such evangelism.

However, I will say that the Apostle Paul rejoiced even when someone's motives for presenting the Gospel were false: "What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice" (Phil. 1:18). IMO, The question to be asked is not whether evangelism is manipulative, but whether the complete Gospel is actually presented.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit is everything in evangelism. He is the motivator, the animator, the planter, the waterer, etc.

A body was formed for Adam, but he did not become a living soul until God breathed the breath of life into his nostrils. Then Adam rose, and did his job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In light of recent discussions on the BB, I think it is vital to note that it is the Holy Spirit Who convicts of sin (John 16:8-11). He uses many means to do this. One of those avenues is the moral law of the OT. But moral law is written in the hearts of all human beings, so the 10 Commandments per se may not need to be mentioned. He may use a particular sin rather than the law in general. He may not need to mention any sin to the sinner if that person is already racked with guilt, but simply gently point out in the heart of the sinner the remedy for his or her sin.

Mr. U. in Japan was sent to me by his wife because of his adulterous affair with a bar girl. The deal was that if he did not get counseling from the missionary pastor, she would divorce him. The bar girl was making her miserable, calling and gloating. I counseled Mr. U. for a whole year with no salvation. Then late one Sunday evening he knocked on our door to say, "Sensei (Teacher, Pastor), I finally understood what you've been saying to me all year, that Christ died for my sins. A Christian friend came from Sapporo and talked to us for 4 hours, and I finally understood what Christ had done for me."

#15 John of Japan, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some of the chapter titles in A.W. Pink's book on the Holy Spirit.
    Quickening
    Enlightening
    Comforting
    Drawing
    Working Faith
    Uniting to Christ
    Teaching
    Cleansing
    Leading
    Witnessing
    Assuring
    Sealing
    Confirming
    Preserving

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one that stands out there to me is "Leading." I'm surprised no one has mentioned the leadership of the Spirit in evangelism. It's huge!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone has some spare prayer time, I and some of my Gideon colleagues will be at Exeter University U.K. tomorrow and Friday (DV) witnessing to the students and offering them New Testaments.

There are huge numbers of foreign students at British universities these days, especially Chinese, but also many from Moslem countries. Some of these Testaments may go back with the students to their home countries and be read by parents and siblings. Please pray that God will be glorified in the distribution of His word and in the salvation of sinners.

#18 Martin Marprelate, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  19. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is common sense!

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May the Lord greatly bless your efforts. I went to Japanese language school in '80-'82, and was able to pass out Bibles to many Chinese, some of who took those Bibles back to mainland China, so I know the huge potential you have there.

• Like Like x 1