1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Holy Spirit in Evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Nov 7, 2016.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Find me a source that says humanism and atheism are the "dominant religions in America." I dare you.

But once again, the thread is about how the Holy Spirit works in evangelism. Your favorite writer on personal evangelism actually has a chapter on this. Surely you can write a positive post instead of all of this negativity. What does the Holy Spirit do in evangelism and salvation?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He uses us to teach/preach the Gospel, and then he does ALL the heavy lifting to get sinners saved!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. So if it is the Holy Spirit who actually saves sinners, then shouldn't we evangelize in total dependence on Him?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Polls would say Christianity is the dominant religion but do you believe this?

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I believe it for sure in my area, because I've been out door to door talking to people for my church for the past two years since coming back from Japan, actually witnessing person to person for Christ instead of standing on a street corner preaching at them. And the vast majority of people in my area are Christians of one sort or another: Lutheran (very strong), Catholic, evangelical, Baptist.

So, in addition to the surveys which unanimously say the US has a majority of Christians, with atheists still being a tiny minority, my own personal experience tells me that yes, the US has a majority of Christians.

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to the OP

The Holy Spirit of God convicts of Sin, Righteousness and Judgment

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, maybe i skipped it, is that the Holy Spirit Reveals the Righteous Christ in all His splendor and Beauty. The Holy Spirit reveals the Truth about Christ's Finished atoning Work. He reveals the Sufficiency of Christ's Death, Burial and Resurrections for the Forgiveness of our Sins.

The Holy Spirit Opens the Eyes of the Blind and the Ears of the Deaf. He Paints a clear picture for those who are receptive as to why they need Christ and how that Christ is the One who brings Peace with God the Father.

The Holy Spirit Reveals the Righteousness of Christ and our lack of righteousness (as a lost person). Oh how we desperately need a Revelation of The Risen Christ's Majesty Before we even begin to think about soul winning!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I have been witnessing person to person in my area on the streets and the majority want nothing to do with Christianity. They are secular humanists. This may be OT for this thread.

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It probably is OT, but i will say this, Of Course people don't want anything to do with "Christianity." when you were lost, did you want anything to do with "Christianity?" We aren't Preaching "Christianity", we are Preaching Christ and Him Crucified. We preach His Love and Justice, Mercy and Judgment. We preach the Righteousness of Christ. We preach Truth and a necessity to Respond to this Truth.

Let's please get back to the OP, it's been a fruitful discussion. Thank you!

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be they don't want anything to do with how the gospel is delivered.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in my case or it could be they want the affirming and progressive view of Jesus and I call people to repentance.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why on another thread I over and over again urged you to be filled with the Holy Spirit. It is He who works in evangelism and salvation, so without His help of course people will want nothing to do with Christianity, or more particularly with Jesus Christ.

All efforts at evangelism will fail without the power of the Holy Spirit. "All is vain unless the Spirit of the Holy One comes down."

Here is a PDF file of R. A. Torrey's wonderful book on the subject. I urge you to humbly read and study it, then claim the mighty power of the Holy Spirit in soul-winning: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3024...n_id=7949da31761e722172030e9a875d17a13045f912

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or it could be that the power of God the Holy Spirit is not present in the presentation.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is not Reformed right?

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the name of my favorite author and the book where he talks about the HS in evangelism? What chapter? I want to re-read the chapter thanks...

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it was done without a broken heart for the lost and with no intention to disciple them then yea in your case.

16. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This idea that only reformed guys can be insightful for evangelism is most likely restricting the The Work of the Holy Spirit in your life. Have you ever considered you have fruitless evangelism because you have Fruitless worship of The Lord?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether or not he is reformed is absolutely immaterial as to whether or not his pneumatology was correct (and it was).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Amazon, the term "Holy Spirit" occurs 71 times in The School of Biblical Evangelism, by Cameron and Comfort, with Ch. 7 being "The Empowering of the Holy Spirit," and Ch. 50 being simply "The Holy Spirit." Then Ch. 97 & 98 are about revival, which is driven by the Holy Spirit. So please check out these chapters and get back to the thread with some positive input.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not have that book. What about his book The Way of the Master?

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said only reformed can have insight. But Reformed is mostly all I listen too when it comes to evangelism and soteriology.