1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by tamborine lady, Dec 22, 2005.

1. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

On another thread, the question was raised about the Holy Spirit.

There are 2 questions. When does He come into our lives, and what does He do.

There is this scripture that tells how the Disciples received Him:

John 20-21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
    22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Then there is this one:

Acts 2-4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Then these whom John the Baptist had baptised:

Acts 19-6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
    7 And all the men were about twelve.

My question is this, how many different things does the Holy Ghost do for us? Do we receive different dispensations of Him? Or does He simply come in at the time that we accept Jesus?

Working for Jesus,

Tam

2. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I'm not too happy with the word "simply" but the Spirit endwells every believer at the moment of salvation, never to leave again.

3. atestring

atestring New Member

Tam,
    I had someone tell me that they got everything they are ever going to get from God when they got saved.
    I hope this is not true. I have had many experiences with The Love of The Father , The Grace of Jesus The Christ , and the comfort and power of the Holy Spirit. I know that this will continue. We can grow from faith to faith and from Glory to Glory.
    I remember a song that used to be sung in church called "More, More About Jesus"
    It talked about more of His saving fulness see and more of his love that died for me.
    Spirit of God my teacher be showing the things of Christ to me.
    I have had teachers in my life that were my teachers wheither I was in the classroom or not ,but oh the teaching in the classroom was where they and I developed as a teacher pupil relationship.
    The 120 in Acts 2 were born again and blew upon by Jesus and recieved the Holy Spirit but the relationship of the teacher and comforter and enpower came about when the teacher, comforter and enpowerer showed up.

4. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Right on Atestring, that's where I am coming from! [​IMG]

On the other hand, Hillclimber said:I'm not too happy with the word "simply" but the Spirit endwells every believer at the moment of salvation, never to leave again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

I'm not happy with the word "simply" either. Because I believe there is more that He will do and can do if He is allowed to have free reighn in ones life.

I agree with your statement, but when some folks receive the Holy Ghost, they slap Him in a box, and never let him out to do anything else.

He is a gentleman and will not force himself on anyone!!!

Peace,

Tam

5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I don't know sometimes He uses sledgehammers on stubborn fools like me. [​IMG]

6. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Well, that could be true, but I'm sure you really wanted the truth, He just had to get your attention. :D

Peace,

Tam

7. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Wow Tam, we actually agree for a change

8. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Hey Hillclimber, that's good! We need to agree when we can!! :D

I guess nobody is really interested in expanding their understanding of the Holy Spirit!

I believe you get the Holy Spirit when you are saved, and then when He gives you one of the gifts, He comes upon you stronger and in a special way.

Peace,

Tam

9. LorrieAB

LorrieAB New Member

Tam as far as I can tell, the Holy Spirit indeed comes upon you at the acceptance of the gift of salvation (kind of a two for one if you will). It seems to what I call "ebe and flow", and by that I mean it is stronger and weaker depending on if/how much we "listen" to it. Several Scriptures speak of being poor or strong, in or full... of the Spirit which is why I believe this. When we as said earlier, "put it in a box" (not "listen" to it), we are "grieving" it. We can grieve it to the point it's almost like it's not there (getting drunk...) which is when they "see our nakedness" when we do such things. The Spirit is to guide and enlighten us that we may "know all things", but if we don't "listen" or "pay attention", it's not forced upon us to do so; we recieve "conviction(s)" when we do not. Not sure this is comming out right or helping, but hope is addresses the issue.

10. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

I believe when we get saved, God baptizes us into the Holy Spirit [I Corinthians 12:13]. At this same time we are indwelled by the Spirit of God. [I John 3:9]. The 'seed' refers to the Holy Spirit Who guides us in the Christian way of life.

We are told to please the Lord so we do not 'grieve the Holy Spirit.' [Ephesians 4:30]. If a Christian tries to neglect the Lord that person will 'quench the Holy Spirit.'

We are justified before the Lord forever, when we truly receive Christ as Savior and Lord of our lives. [Roman 5:1].

The Bible speaks about the Holy Spirit being spirit and yet a Person of the Godhead. I believe in the life of a Christian there are times that we sense that we are closer to the Lord than other times in our lives.

Personally, daily I ask God to 'fill me with the Holy Spirit', for my personal need and so I can please the Lord and represent Him before a lost world of sinners. [Acts 9:17].

This is not all there is to say about the Holy Spirit in the New Testament, but this will give you some idea as to His work in our hearts/lives.

Rev. Dr. Berrian, Th.D.

11. wopik

wopik New Member

Ray Berrian

an acutal PERSON ? I never came across that verse.

Luke refers to the Holy Spirit as "the power of the Highest" (luke 1:35).

Matthew says Mary became pregnant by the Holy Spirit: "....for that which is CONCEIVED in her is of the HOLY SPIRIT" (Matt. 1:20, kjv).

"....what has been conceived in her is by the Holy Spirit" (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Jesus never refers to the Holy Spirit as His father.

12. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

wopik,

Have you ever heard of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit--one God? This is the Trinitarian formula.

13. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

wopik,

As I find references to the Holy Spirit in my theological books I will set before you whatever they say.

First, former President of Dallas Theological Seminary, Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer in his eight volume texts, "Systematic Theology" says in Volume 5 page 151,

'It is theologically correct to state that the Spirit is sent into the world both by the Father (cf. John 14:16,26) and by the Son (cf. 16:7). This passage respecting the Holy Spirit records the central truth relative to the Person and work of the Spirit in this age.'

Dr. Berrian, Th.D.

14. wopik

wopik New Member

Hi Ray Berrian

I have heard of this, of course.

But I have never found proof of the Trinity in the Bible.

The BIBLE says the Holy Spirit is "the POWER of the Highest".

Jesus says He and His Father are one (Jn. 10:30).

15. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

The "Holy Spirit" was send in "JESUS'S NAME", it is therefore called the "Holy "GHOST", or "GHOST OF JESUS", it's "HIS VOICE" speaking.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name,

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice,

Jesus is still walking/talking/directing his disciples today as much as he did with the apostles, only now its "Spiritual" rather than "Physical".

As the Bible distinguishs between "Father/Son", so does it with "Spirit/Ghost", even though they are "ONE".

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, (Holy Spirit)

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, (Holy Ghost)

OT Testament Saints wasn't "indwelled" by a "Comforter".

Ec 4:1 So I returned, and considered all the oppressions that are done under the sun: and behold the tears of such as were oppressed, and they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was power; but they had no comforter.

The "Falling away" Paul described is "Less dependent" on the "Comforter" for guidance and more "leaning on their own understanding", a "Quenching of the Spirit".

But when you "quench the spirit", you "quench" your walk/talk with Jesus, and his guidance.

16. wopik

wopik New Member

1Cor
    8:6-7
    yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.

However, there is not in everyone that knowledge;......

17. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Me4Him,

I generally agree with you. I do believe in the Triune Godhead.

I especially agree with you that under the O.T. system, the laity did not have the indwelling of the Spirit of God. Some Christians miss this important point. Only the prophets, Israeli Kings and some artisans who worked on the Temple were indwelled by the Holy Spirit. That is why the O.T. saints backslide so quickly into false gods, were punished/chastised--and forced to flee to other nations.

18. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

I believe that everyone receives the Holy Ghost when they accept Christ. I further believe that as they mature in Christ, they will receive more of an infilling. They will learn to follow the Spirit more and more.

Whenever the Lord wants to use you in the capacity of one of the gifts, He will descend on you with MORE power. A stronger prescence if you will.

Because at that point, He wants you to say or do a particular thing, and He impresses it on you so you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is indeed He!!

Also, I do not call the Holy Spirit an "it". I know the bible does in a couple of places, but how would you like to be called an it??

It's just common courtesy to call one by ones name! [​IMG]

Peace,

Tam

19. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

"IT" is a "HE" in scripture.

2Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only..HE..who now letteth will let, until..HE..be taken out of the way.

When we're first saved, we're like "Babes" as far as knowledge/understanding of the scriptures, but as we study/learn under the instructions of the "Holy Ghost" we "Mature" into "Meat Eaters", having knowledge/understanding of the more complicated doctrines.

1Pe 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Heb 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

The "MORE" we listen, the "MORE" we learn, not only about the scripture, but the ability to "SEE" God working in our life and others, and that "Increases" our faith, at least mine.

I like to say, "I don't believe in God",

I KNOW. :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Yes, it is a "VERY" important point, the "law and Prophets" system of leadership stopped when Jesus came and doesn't return (trib period) until "AFTER" Jesus (Comforter) leaves. (pre trib rapture)

Leadership by both the "L/P" and "HG" do not function at the same time, in the same time frame. This is one reason why the rapture is "pre trib".

Jas 3:12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

Ro 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Fig tree=Israel
    Vine=Jesus
    olives berries=fruit of the vine. (Gentiles mostly)

Fountain=Jesus
    Fresh "Water"=woman at well
    Salt "Water"=having to die (trib period) to drink of the fountain.