1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Humanism of Arminianism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by gristmill, Jul 14, 2006.

1. gristmill

gristmill New Member

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I still like the way Pink expresses it better. From the Foreward to his work, the Sovereignty of God (emphasis mine, and the second section emphasize might just as well be posted in the Rick Warren threads):

From the first chapter:

For the whole thing, follow this link:

http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Sovereignty/sovereignty.htm

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I bought the audio version of Pink's book. It is an excellent book.

I would highly recommend it.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Korean pastor friend borrowed my unabridged Baker version of Pink's book . He translated it and it has been distributed somewhat . The Banner of Truth version translated into Korean has had more sales . The same situation persists with Pink's English editions .

I think if more people read Pink and Robert Haldane on Romans -- checking Scripture throughout , they would be blessed .

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pink has a way with words. He's got a saying I've seen somewhere that I'm going to use for my signature block someday. I alludes to the duty of the preacher to crush man's pride and exalt the God of Heaven.

Good web site by the way, I'm adding it to my favorites. I love the writing of that guy Oliphant also.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, that it does but at the same time, it can also be quite a blessing knowing that we are in God's hands and that in His sovereignty, nothing can harm us..unless of course you are still holding on to your own goodness...then I suppose a person like that wouldn't feel very blessed.

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Crush" is a harsher word than Pink used - I just can't think of the right one right now.

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Mink gets mixed up in his definitions of humanism. He starts with classical humanism and quickly morphs over to secular humanism, all the better to tar the Arminians.

But he cannot present the Arminian position accurately. What he presents is what he wishes the Arminians believed, since they don't believe what he does.

"Humanism and Arminianism have a singular goal, and that is to dethrone God, and enthrone man."

Oh, do we now?

"Arminianism and Humanism contend that man is an autonomous entity, and that God’s decrees may be negated by the vaunted will of man."

Oh, do we now?

And here's my favorite: "Arminianism is nothing more than Humanism with a religious veneer, the combination of which is the ultimate subterfuge of the devil. Both systems are an eternal offense unto God, and it would be far better to have never been born, than to live and die trusting these God scandalizing errors for salvation from sin."

Ya hear that, ye predestinarians? He says that it would be better to have never been born than to trust Arminianism for salvation from sin. Now, I cannot swear that he was talking about someone who actually exists outside his imagination, but it sure sounds like he's talking about regular old Arminians who think that God loves the reprobate, Christ died for them, and that the Spirit enables all to accept the gospel. He says that it's better that we had never been born. In other words, we're going to Hell. :laugh:

Precious. Simply precious.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeh, I agree that Mink overshoots his target, and there might be a lot of heat instead of light there. But I think the basic premise could be correct - that a major component of arminianism is humanism, even though arminians are blind to it.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That Armenians are blind to it is quite evident.

Of course there are many that claim neither to be Armenian or Calvinist but speaking generally, they are helpful categories.

11. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Yes, that's true, as many say they object to labels but still that doesnt keep them from fitting into a category; they just prefer to ignore it. They may feel more 'saintly' saying they are niether 'arminian' or 'calvinist' but most fit on one side or the other of that fence, dont you think?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. I would consider catholicism to be arminian, and I'm not catholic. Whether you like it or not, there are more than just the "two categories".

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I see two very general categories.
    Call them what you want, but there is the category that sayd God chooses who will be saved and there is the category that says man chooses. Whithin those two, there are MANY differences. BUt that is the general way it is.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are correct. I believe God chooses man for salvation...once man responds to God's command of faith in Christ, not before. I don't believe man just sits back one day and says "You know what, when I die, I think I'll go to Heaven instead of Hell".

#14 webdog, Jul 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2006
  15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

And I believe that I choose the students who will be in my piano class. Once they have enrolled for the class. Not before.

Right.