1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Invitation"

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jeffrey H, Jul 11, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the New Testament church the profession of one's faith is by being baptized. Even we Baptists have forgotten that during the past 100 years or so.

No one has been or ever will be saved by committing the physical act of walking an aisle or raising his hand in an auditorium. Conversion takes place on the inside and it is evidenced by the fruit of the Holy Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

That's how you know how many people are truly converted. Walking an aisle or raising one's hand or even being immersed is for show, walking by the Spirit is the real thing. [​IMG]

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I had a professor say once that the word of God is living but some of us can make it seem dead by the way we preach.

There are some by the way they preach you really do have to wonder if they belive scripture.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I have always tried to give him the benefit of the doubt (hence I always label him arminian/semi-pelagian as about the most evil thing I could call anyone).

About time someone said "the emperor has no clothes". [​IMG]

4. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

what is required for someone is to "believe"
    the person has to believe, not go forward and follow a certain plan, but believe what was preached "the gospel". if the gospel is preached let their salvation stand on Gods word, not a prayer or being led in prayer or assurance from the preacher but rather from the Lord. I would say most altar calls result in nothing, but confusion and nothing more.

5. TrustingGod

TrustingGod New Member

I believe that the true invitation is when the calling of the Holy Spirit comes upon a person. I don't think you have to actually SAY a prayer, but BELIEVE it in your heart. And I believe that the Holy Spirit doesn't need an "invitation" to work in the heart of man, it can be anywhere, anyplace and at anytime.

6. ColoradoFB

ColoradoFB New Member

TG, I agree with this one. There are no magical words that make one a Christian. It is a matter of belief, a matter of acceptance, a matter of the mind.

7. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Colorado,
    Is this what you are referring to . . . acceptance? I submit your quote from "Thinking Baptists:"
    What a self-righteous hypocrite! [​IMG] :D Looks like quite a few trolls do doubletime over here on the BB. The true characters show over there where anything goes! I can't believe how "different" Joshua sounds over there!

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are working on doing something about the vicious and spiteful attacks being made behind the backs of the BB members. This cannot continue. [​IMG]

Am closing this thread, as personal attacks are not usually part of the "The Invitation".