1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Irony of moral opposition to Trump

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Calminian, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure it was. They had an agenda to legalize it and that legalization was forced on us. So yea it was.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. Any state laws outlawing abortion were nullified.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but I know a number of conservatives will not.

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I intended to communicate - obviously, I failed - was that no one is forced to have an abortion. People are allowed to choose abortion under the ruling.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assuming a direct correlation, then the true test of compassion will emerge as this question----are you willing to pay higher taxes in order to save lives?

If a person says no to that question within those parameters, I don't think that person should claim to be pro-life.

Now that doesn't exclude a legitimate discussion of how to handle things. If it can be done without raising taxes, great! If it requires a different approach than is traditionally used, I'm all for innovation.

But if money is more important than life, that's a dangerous place to be.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it effects more than just the individuals who choose abortion. It effects all of us. It was forced on all of us.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, yes you are correct - For individuals who want an abortion no force, they want it and choose to murder.

But IMO it was forced upon us who hate it. It has been forced upon me to deal with, pray about, teach against, contribute to its demise, persuade against, etc, etc... And I will do so until it has been overturned.

Of course abortion will exist until Jesus puts an end to it.
    Again - Until then, I will always oppose it.

HankD

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. We see so much which is truly evil in our nation, and abortion probably illustrates just how far we have fallen as well as anything else. I hope and pray things will change. But I really do not see the opportunity for real change without revival (without a reviving of the churches in America). That so many Christians believe their only option is to support evil (even if it is a lesser evil) leaves me less than optimistic.

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Supreme Court found in Roe v. Wade that there is an inherent right to privacy implied in the Bill of Rights and in light of that position - and a lack of medical and legal consensus in the early 1970s regarding the issue of when life/personhood begins - that a woman has the right to made choices that concern her body and her health privately, outside of the realm of legal sanction.

Please note that we do not have to agree with the ruling to understand it or fairly present it. I believe that the ruling is fundamentally flawed in terms of personhood and that there are two lives to consider, not just the mother's.

In light of the civil right of privacy found in the ruling, no state or agency is allowed to significantly burden the right of the individual to exercise their rights.

Now, you can make the argument that it affects all of us. That's true. In terms of civil rights, the right to freedom of religion, freedom of the press, freedom of speech, freedom to own firearms, etc. affects all of us. If we do not exercise that right, that's fine. But we don't have the right to restrict others from exercising that right without a compelling interest. So religious liberty and freedom of speech for others is also "forced on us." The rights of a law-abiding person to own a firearm is also "forced" on US society.

An example of inconsistency on this issue for many people on the left wing is that they argue for restrictions on the Second Amendment rights of others while hammering home the right of a woman to have an abortion at any stage of pregnancy - even to partial birth.

When we are pro-life people argue from the perspective that we want to restrict the civil rights of another person and resist gun control measures, then we are falling into the trap of a favorite argument against the pro-life side - that it is not about lives, but about the control of women.

What to do? Present the legal situation clearly and openly in terms of the question of the personhood of the unborn child. The Bill of Rights was written not to GRANT rights, but in RECOGNITION of the unalienable rights of humankind given by God (as noted in the Declaration of Independence) and that the inherent right to life of all innocent humankind (whether inside or outside the womb) is the issue.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baloney it is not a civil right to murder someone else. Good grief

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The right to privacy was actually established in Griswold v. Connecticut (1965). I actually happen to agree with that decision.

Roe v. Wade just took it and applied the concept to abortion (an error, in my view).

I completely agree.

I can see your thoughts, but given that the right to privacy was recognized prior to Roe, we have more flexibility to keep privacy and toss abortion.

The argument (that won't convince anyone but is valid) would be that abortion is only found in a specious SCOTUS decision. The right to bear arms is explicitly protected by the Constitution.

Personhood becomes tricky, though. I'm wondering if we need another legal category for the unborn. If a fetus is legally recognized as a person, we can protect the fetus from abortion, but I'm not sure what other areas might be affected (tax laws, social security numbers, etc.). I suppose we could address this all by statute, but it could be tricky with a SCOTUS decision.

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In actuality, of course not. In practice, unfortunately, it is seen as a "right." :(

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that what you got from what I wrote?

Good grief!

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Link for Griswold vs Conn

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you are correct.

Roe v. Wade took what had already been found and bolstered it with application to abortion. I agree that it was misapplied.

Yes we do.

It is an absolutely valid point. I have made it forcefully in other discussions and contexts.

Maybe not as much as you would think. A fetus has no income or property that they can legally own until 18 years after birth. I didn't get a Social Security card until I was nearly seven-years-old, although I know they are doing it much younger today. That can be issued at birth when the child has "initial freedom of movement" or some more appropriate standard.

It would be a long battle to establish a statute with a legal abortion precedent that does not recognize a person that is unborn.

I appreciate your informed and careful consideration of my previous posts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, I think I'm out of this discussion.

HankD

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You get a SSN at birth now. It has to be listed on the 1040 to claim the child as a dependent.

That's one area I would wonder about. Would a woman who had a miscarriage be able to claim that she had a dependent during the year? It would be dependent on her for 50%+ support, that's for sure!

It's absurd; I know. But if we get this thing turned, the left is going to come out with lawyers in force. Every nook and cranny of legal ambiguity will be exploited. They will cause havoc out of revenge.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not, mom, as well as dad have extra expenses while mom is pregnant.

19. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But is there a cutoff? 8 week miscarriage? Almost no expense at all. It's emotionally difficult, obviously.

Do ectopic pregnancies count?

I'm not talking about the full-term babies. I'm talking about early pregnancies that terminate spontaneously.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if we believe that life begins at conception, I would have no problem from day 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.