1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The keys of the kingdom of heaven

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by natters, Sep 4, 2005.

1. natters

natters New Member

What are your views on "the keys of the kingdom of heaven"? Why did Christ give them, and what exactly do they entail?

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A key is given to someone who is allowed to enter and to take care of what is behind the door.

The church was given the keys to the kingdom of heaven in that she proclaims the message of how one might enter. The church is the instrument of opening the door of faith to the world.

3. natters

natters New Member

Thanks for the response Pastor Bob.

One thing (of several) I'm trying to understand about this is that the text uses the first-person-singular ("thee" in the KJV) as opposed to plural ("you"). I.e. the text seems to indicate the keys were given to Peter, not all the apostles (or church in general). Now I basically understand where Catholics go from this point, but not sure if/how non-Catholics adequately handle this. "Keys" in other places in scripture seem to give the power to open and shut, to bind and loose - not just to proclaim that the door is open and how to get through it. Do you see what I mean?

4. bmerr

bmerr New Member

natters,

bmerr here. In Matt 16:18-19, Jesus uses the words "kingdom" and "church" interchangeably. It would have been a bit unreasonable for Jesus to speak of building one thing, and then promise to give Peter the keys to something else.

Since the kingdom, or church, came on Pentecost of Acts 2, one might go there to see what the keys given to Peter were.

Of course, Peter's sermon is recorded for us in Acts 2. This is the first gospel sermon ever preached. It is at this point that the kingdom of God was opened up under the authority of Jesus Christ. Those who believed were told to "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

I'd say that the keys to the kingdom included faith, repentance, and baptism for the remission of sins. These are the terms, or conditions, of entrance to the church, or kingdom, of Christ.

Also, as you mentioned, apostolic authority was given to bind or loose on earth what had been bound or loosed in heaven. The KJV kind of reads backwards in Matt 16:19, from what I've read.

In Christ,

bmerr