1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The KJV: The Inspired Word Of God

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Zachary, Apr 30, 2005.

1. 13th Disciple

13th Disciple New Member

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=69999&dict=CALD
    Not real good at posting links so this probably won't work but there is a difference in the two words! I'll check the dictionaries in the Church library and see which older ones have both. I'm thinking the Cambridge dropped the Saviour in the mid ninties but don't take that as fact! Like I said , I prefer the Capitol S 7 seven letter Saviour over savior! I know the number 6 represents the number of man in Biblical terms and 7 represents GOD or perfection! My preference only , not knocking no one or argueing about it whatsoever!!! I think it looks a lot better and fits the King better!!!

The Gideon uses the 1769 edition of the AV1611! I looked it up on the online encycopedia and it said that the KJV was copyright free in most parts of the world but like I said...my preference!! Peace!!!

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

1769 is the Oxford edition as I suspected. It is wrong to claim that the KJV is not copyrighted. In the very country where it was translated it still has a copyright.

Here is the defintion from your link

Note that the only difference is that the capital "S" refers as a name of Christ. All proper nouns are capitalised. The other difference is UK/US spellings. Does the importance of the number of letter apply only in English?

If this is indeed your preference that is fine, but there is NOTHING there on which to build a Doctrine. Thank you for expresing these issues as opinions and not facts.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last month I stayed at a hotel in Dallas where the Gideons had placed an NKJV.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You think wrong. A Crown Patent in Perpetuity means the publication is owned by the British Crown and as long as English has a King/Queen the copyright remains in force. In case you missed it, that is what "perpetuity" means.

The copyright on the KJV will expire 50 years after the death of the last remaining reigning member of the British Royal family.

5. David J

David J New Member

Some of the $5.00 KJV’s are 1873 KJVs.

13th D,

A copyright is not a bad thing. It keeps people from changing the wording and calling it a KJV. Yes some cults like the Mormons use the KJV (only) with the books of Joseph Smith. Don't knock a copyright. I'm thankful that the Crown has the copyright simply because if a changed KJV surfaces I can always go back to the Crown and read the official KJV.

Tell me, what do you think about the post I made showing you what the AV translators had to say about the word of God?

Will you take the time to study the AV1611?

Like I’ve said many times before, to be KJV preferred and only using the KJV is fine but being a KJV (O) is wrong because the Oism adds many myths, distortions, and lies to the KJV. The big “O” goes against what the mean who put the KJV together advised.

6. David J

David J New Member

I'm not saying they don't in certain places but I've never seen a Gideon NKJV.

I have seen them around my area.

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    13th Disciple:I believe the KJV is GODs' preserved Word for the English speaking people!

It is, along with quite a few other versions made before & after 1611.

It has no errors

BUUZZ!

We've documented quite a few errors here.

plus no man or group owns a copyright to it!

Moot point. It WAS copyrighted in England for a long time, and I believe both the Oxford and cambridge Editions are still copyrighted in England. BTW, which edition of the KJV is the "official" and perfect one? They're all slightly different.

Which I think that's the way it should be!!! You can get your own printing press , produce millions of copies of the Bible , give them to anyone you want and you don't have to acquire anyones' permission or pay any royalities to anyone!!!

Again, moot. I haven't seen a copy of the KJV with nothing but the text for a long time. Virtually every edition has a concordance, table of contents, illustrations, etc. which the publisher uses to place his edition under copyright. Just check out the title pages of almost ANY copy of the KJV.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    13th Disciple:Nelson changed Jesus Christ from being Saviour to savior , which I do not like the change. Anyone can be someones savior but there is only one seven letter capitol S..... Saviour!!!

Whoever told you such a line of codwallop LIED to you, plain and simple. 'Saviour' is merely the BRITISH spelling of the word, same as they spell most other words we Americans end in 'or', such as 'labour, endeavour, colour, candour, valour, flavour', etc. Neither their nor our spellings are incorrect. And it has nothing to do with the number 7.

The Hebrew word for savior, as God applied the term to Himself is 'yasha', which by no stretch can be made into a seven-letter English word. In Greek, it is 'soter', which is also five letters in the Greek alphabet.

When someone tells you something like that, I suggest you research it for yourself to see how much TRUTH there is to such an assertion. In the above case, there's NONE.

Have no idea who Riplinger is David...sorry!!!

She's GAIL Riplinger, a self-proclaimed "Bible expert" whose publishers boast that she has a Masters Degree...but don't tell you it's in INTERIOR DESIGN. Her first, and most well-known book is New Age Bible Versions, a work full of misinformation, deliberate misquotes, and outright LIES. If you don't know who she is, you haven't missed anything important.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you think you have, but your inability to read either Hebrew or Greek restricts your participation to merely passing along the research of others but without their ability to defend it. :(

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    13th Disciple:It's not americanizing!

Yes, it IS, plain and simple.

Older American dictionaries printed before the name of Jesus upset so many have two listings. Saviour- Our Lord Jesus Christ
    savior- a person who saves a life!

The key word is "older". Obviously, many of the first European Americans were from the British Isles and used the English of the british Isles. As time passed & our nations took their separate courses, the USA developed its own English styles, accents, and slang, as did every English-using nation. The USA took to using the Latin spelling or something close to the latin, of words that end in 'or' in Latin such as 'color'.

While we still have many traits our ancestors brought from England, we are now separate peoples who speak the same language, but with quite a few differences. A prime example is the word "bloody". While that word means "smeared or stained with blood" to an American, and is an everyday proper word in the USA, it has become a very offensive term to the British, and I am VERY cautious as to how I use it in the international Internet.(Roger, is that word equally offensive to the Irish?)

That view is fairly new to the British, as that word appears 16 times in the KJV.

May not be an issue with some but Jesus Christ, as far as I'm concerned, deserves to stand out from everything else as much as possible!!! I could be drowning and you jump in and save my life which would make you my savior but in no way could you measure up with Jesus ; my Saviour!!! That's just how I look at it ....if you don't , that doesn't bother me!

Feel free to have that view...but grant me the privilege of not making it an issue in my view. Long as your view is based upon personal preference and not someone else's horse feathers, fine.

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TCassidy:Well, you think you have, but your inability to read either Hebrew or Greek restricts your participation to merely passing along the research of others but without their ability to defend it.

That's exactly why I consulted a RABBI about a Hebrew-to-English translation. If I could read the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic, I'd have no need for any English translation. And I generally seek a 'second opinion' before accepting someone's explanation. A call to the local B'nai B'rith, in which I didn't mention the rabbi nor his explanation confirmed he was correct.

12. Keith M

Keith M New Member

There is absolutely nothing in these verses that gives any kind of support to the KJVO myth. As a matter of fact, Psalm 12:7 refutes the KJVO myth altogether.

BTW, I see another KJVO tactic here - make a statement for which there is no support, then run away and hide. So where's Zachary?

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks as he, Mr. Betz, Mr. Psalm & Mr. Carl all went to bind their wounds before coming back for more.

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Zachary said:

As I've said, before, or at least I think I have. I believe the KJV 1611 is God's true inspired word in English. Psalm 12:6-7 and 2 Timothy 3:16 declare it to be so.

Only if you assume beforehand that "the KJV 1611 is God's true inspired word in English." Otherwise, these passages say no such thing, or at least nothing that would favour the KJV over some other translation.

If God ministers to you through the KJV, then God bless you. It's better than nothing.

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

13th Disciple says:

Nelson changed Jesus Christ from being Saviour to savior , which I do not like the change. Anyone can be someones savior but there is only one seven letter capitol S..... Saviour!!!

Congratulations! You are now a member of the Church of the Holy Horseshoe, whose creed states that even differences in American vs. British spellings of words, and even the number of letters in them, have severe theological ramifications.

There's a good 12-letter word for this belief, incidentally: superstition. Conveniently, it also starts with S. You may capitalize it if you wish.

Also, Noah Webster disagrees with you.

[ June 11, 2005, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

16. 13th Disciple

13th Disciple New Member

Last month I stayed at a hotel in Dallas where the Gideons had placed an NKJV. </font>[/QUOTE]Was it a complete Bible? If it was , Thomas Nelson must have given them permission because their copyright says only under 50% of the njkv can be reproduced! If they have given the Gideons permission , it's a good will gesture on their part!!!

17. 13th Disciple

13th Disciple New Member

That's a good point about the copyright!

I hear people say try this one ; it's easier to understand and on and on....the lady at my local Christian book store will actually sell down the KJV and push other versions , why ? , I don't know?
    When I first acquire an AV1611 , I was dumbfounded because at first glance , it contained the Apocrypha! After I learned that it was inserted for historical background purposes...It didn't bother me although I'll admitt , I've never taken the time to read it!
    I wouldn't mind making the Av1611 my primary Bible but I don't because it's a little slower finding the correct chapter and verse with speed! I hate those little index stickers you can buy to place on the chapters! Mine is a hard back but a friend of mine has a leather with the thumb index..it's nice!!!
    Also found the copyrights of various Bibles on the Blue Letter Bible website...Seems several of the different Bibles are public domain not just the KJV!

King James Version (KJV)
    Outside of the United Kingdom, the KJV is in the public domain. Within the United Kingdom, the rights to the KJV are vested in the Crown.

One thing David....It does seem the KJV is hated by many , seems like supporters of all other versions are always on the attack of the KJV but you never see NIVers attacking NASers and vice versa!!!

18. 13th Disciple

13th Disciple New Member

Just an observation!!! No doctrine on breaking the Bible down into numbers! Like I think the capitol Saviour represents a more majestic title than savior...at least they could've capitolized it!!! Savior looks better!

I wouldn't have no reason to know her...I don't make a point to even read the writings of women on spiritual topics!!! I visited a SB Church awhile back and the presense of a woman songleader irritated me!!! My personal perference not trying to start another debate!!! lol

19. 13th Disciple

13th Disciple New Member

I don't believe I stated any severe theological ramifications would result? I like the magnitude of superiority it has on paper!!! Nothing more...nothing less!!!

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    13th Disciple:It does seem the KJV is hated by many , seems like supporters of all other versions are always on the attack of the KJV but you never see NIVers attacking NASers and vice versa!!!

The KJVO myth is the largest fan club of any one Bible version. Sure, there NIV-Onlys, etc. but they're a very tiny minority, while the KJVOs prolly number in the tens of thousands.(Still, ALL one-versionists in English are only a small minority of English-speaking Christians.)

The "attacks" on the KJV are in response to the KJVOs' claims of perfection. It doesn't take much to prove those claims wrong. It's not a matter of hating the KJV; it's a matter of hating the FALSE DOCTRINE about it and proving that doctrine wrong.