1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The knowledge of the Son of God/perfect man

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by awaken, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We cannot make ourselves perfect. We cannot make ourselves perfect. Imagine I typed this 100 times. Now do you want to address what I said, or post yet another misrepresentation?

We have been made perfect in Christ. We have been made perfect in Christ. Imagine I typed this 100 times. Now do you want to address what I said or post yet another misrepresentation.

Are we perfect because we never volitionally sin, choosing to quench the Spirit and follow the temptations of Satan, the Word and our fleshly desires. What does the Word say.

We are made perfect because in Christ nothing we do causes a sin debt, or piles up wrath, but we should not sin all the more so grace may abound.

This is all pretty basic stuff. You should know it already!

You need to start anew, with study concerning the basic truths of Christ. Who was He, what did He command us to do, and what did He accomplish with His birth, life, death and resurrection.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I believe man is the sum of his makeup/parts.

It will be the whole man that will be perfected and it will not be done a part at a time.

Van I understand from past post, you will disagree.

I believe this verse applies.

God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Future, future, future. IMHO

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

Our spirit totally changed at salvation. When we made Jesus Christ our Lord, our spirit underwent an instant and complete tranformation. Our body and soul are also both impacted by what happened, but the change is not total, not complete.

After being born again, the rest of our Christian life consists simply of renewing and releasing what is in our new born spirit. We need to get our minds renewed to what God says has already happened in our spirit! We need to learn who we are in Christ!

In our spirit we have the same power that raised Jesus from the dead (Eph. 1:18-20). We can have that power and never manifest it. If our mind stays closed to the truth, we will not experience it.

I went back to the basics...and learned it God's way...and not mans!

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

How can we be one with Christ and not be perfect in our spirit? I see the perfection when they are all together and aligned with God. But until then our spirit is perfect in Him.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the Church first started out, it was immature. had growing pains, and thre Lord gave forth to it His Apsotles/prophets, but now since we have the full bible and the complete revelation of god, we are now mature and no need for further revealtions, as the original Apsotles/prophets and spiritual gifts laid foundation for the growing/immature early church!

So the Lord gave those gifts and offices when needed, but now no longer needed , as the foundation has now been laid on Christ and those Apsotles/prophets!

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitchback

At salvation God put our spirit in Christ. Our spirit is no longer separated, spiritually dead, but has been made alive together with Christ. We underwent the circumcision of Christ where our body of flesh (sin) was removed, and we arose in Christ a new creation, created for good works.

Our soul is simply the core characteristics of our spirit, the soul is part of our spirit.

We can still set our minds on the things of this world, on fleshly desires, or on spiritual things. We can follow the leading of our indwelt Holy Spirit, or we can quench the Spirit.

Since we are spiritual children of God, we need to strive to grow such that we become a chip off the old block. Like a mustard seed that becomes a mustard plant. We need to feast on God's word, fellowship with God in prayer, and fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ. Christ is our example, He humbled Himself to the point of death, to obey God's will for His life. We need to follow His example, and not get sidetracked into supernatural speculations.

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

By that reasoning your saying the cornerstone is not needed today either?

8. awaken

awaken Active Member

But our Lord is supernatural! I just pray that all gets in line with the Spirit!

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need to become more like the flesh and blood Son of God, being at one with the Father and doing His will. We should not be enticed off the path of righteousness by the desire to exhibit supernatural power, that is just greed and pride and covetousness all dressed up in sanctimonious garb.

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

Who is being enticed off the path of righteousness? Doesn't Paul say to desire spiritual gifts (1 Cor. 14:1)?

How is it greedy or prideful to want more of Jesus...to know him more...to experience him more...to manifest him more?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To want to wield sign and wonder powers, rather than manifest Christ's love, mercy, justice, humility, self control and patience is greedy, prideful and covetousness.

Did you not read about those desiring to see signs and wonders? About those willing to pay money to powers?

We are to desire to speak to men for edification (i.e. to help them become more like Christ) and exhortation, persuading them to strive all the more after Christ, and consolation, comforting them with the promises of God.

#31 Van, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  12. awaken

awaken Active Member

Why can't there be a balance and desire it all! All that Christ has for us! All that he paid dearly for us to have!

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A "balance" might be to consider ourselves as just as important as others, but an imbalance would be to consider others more important than ourselves. Christ did not die so some could puff themselves up with "manifestations of the Spirit" but to take away the sin of world.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO!
    just saying that because we now have the cornerstone and the laid foundation and the bible, no need for the Spirit to work today as he did in Book of Acts as regarding sign gifts!

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

Who is puffed up? I am sharing the Word of God. I am not offended if you do not believe in the "manifestation of the Spirit"...I do not consider myself any beter than anyone else.

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

But why would God pour out the Holy Spirit to build up/edify the church and then take Him away or not work that same. We are still in the church age. 1 Cor. 1:7-8 tells us that he wants us to come behing in NO gift..WAITING for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ! We are to have the gifts until he returns. 1 Cor. 13 also says that they will all be here until we see face to face and know as we are known!