1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Law of God in the NT - What is it?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just trying to be clear.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In my comments - my opening text shows that my context is the SAVED born-again saint - because we are specifically addressing the question of whether born-again Christians MUST sin.

I often claim that the Baptist view is to focus on the Law of God from the persepective of the lost - those needing salvation that do not have it yet.

Agreed. The lost person cannot engage in law keeping to "become saved".

"If anyone is IN Christ he IS a new creation - old things have passed away all things have become new" 2Cor 5.

And so in Romans 7 Paul as the born-again saint says he agrees fully with the Law of God.

Agreed. Romans 8 speaks of this as "by the Spirit putting to death the deeds of the flesh" and there Paul contrasts the SAVED vs the LOST view of the Law of God saying this.

1John 2 says that the one who claims to know Christ should be keeping God's Commandments.

Rom 8
    5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
    6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
    7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the Law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
    8 and those who are [b]in the flesh cannot please God[/b].

That is the text speaking clearly about those who "are not ABLE to subject themselves to the Law of God" and Paul says clearly - it is the lost.

What is the text that says "These things I write to knowing it is impossible for you to not sin"??

Until we find that text we have Romans 6, and Romans 10 telling us the opposite.

As Paul says in 1Cor 10 "There is NO temptation that has overtaken you but SUCH as is common to man and God IS FAITHFUL who will not ALLOW you to be tempted beyond that which YOU are able..."

If one is only woodenly or legalistically trying to obey the commandments, which is what I think is the result of the SDA and other legalistic entities, then there is no point to it.

True.

(which explains my frequent reference to the "born-again saved saint" engaging in the Romans 8 walk )

In that regard you are mistaken.

in Christ,

Bob

#42 BobRyan, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Certainly.

But the question is not "can the saints commit sin" - rather it is "must they".

in Christ,

Bob

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is this to say that UNLESS one agrees FULLY with the Law of God then they have not been born of God?

And how does one define "fully" or "agrees"? You yourself said that some of the Law has been dismissed. Isn't this getting into making "understanding and agreement" in all aspects of the Law part of a determination of one's actual standing in Christ?

Take for example the Sabbath Law. I don't agree with your pov on this Law as it relates to Christian's obedience or the "keeping the commandments of God". Wouldn't you say that I am breaking God's command to keep the Sabbath? And if so, then does this mean I cannot be saved or I have not been saved?

Can I live in what you would consider the breaking of God's Sabbath commandment and still be saved? If I can, then what are we arguing about with all this "Christians keep God's commandments" stuff? Can I break God's commandment, refusing to repent thereof, and still be a Christian saved by the blood? If "yes" then how does it matter which commandment I refuse to keep? If I break one I am guilty of all, correct? If "no" then you would have to believe that anyone not keeping the Sabbath commandment can be saved.

:jesus:

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Lost person has some concept of the Law of God - as Paul himself claims in Phil 3 that as a lost person he imagined that he was "blameless" according to the righteousness that comes from the Law.

In Romans 7 Paul says that "When the Law came" -- which is a reference to the larger view of the Law - as iluminated by the Holy Spirit - under the John 16 conviction of 'Sin and righteousness and judgment" THEN Paul saw his real need -- and Paul says "I died".

If you are asking me to find a way out of that -- I cannot.

in Christ,

Bob

6. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is the "Law" here the Law of Moses? I suggest that the answer is no. And I say this knowing full that I have been adamant in many other posts that when Paul refers to "the Law" he is almost always referring to the Law of Moses.

Well here in this text from Romans 2 is, I think, one of the exceptions.

Please bear with the length of what follows:

Note what Paul writes later in this same chapter:

25For indeed circumcision is of value if you practice the Law; but if you are a transgressor of the Law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision?

And what has Paul written moments before?

14For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves,
    15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

I suggest this strongly shows that Paul has two distinct conceptualizations of the Law. One of these is the written code of the Law of Moses that functions to mark Jew from Gentile. The other is the "essence of the Law of Moses" that even the Gentile can follow. Note that Paul is talking about Gentiles, as uncircumcised men, keeping the Law.

Any Jew worth his salt would immediately, and rightly, protest that circumcision, while perhaps technically not part of the Law of Moses (its initiation preceded Sinai by > 400 years, I think), is the hallmark of membership in the nation of Israel. And the Law of Moses was for Israel alone (I suspect some of you will challenge me on this!). In any event, in verse 14, Paul has made it clear that the Gentile is not subect to the Law of Moses - the Gentile is characterized as "not having the Law".

Allthough things get complicated, if we are to take Paul seriously here, we have to see him as discerning two aspects of Torah - the one that demarcates the Jew from the Gentile (including, e.g., circumcision) and the one that "gets written on the heart of the Gentile" (and the believing Jew, of course).

Note also how such an interpretation allows us to make sense of clear statements that "law" has been abolished (e.g. Eph 2:15) and other statements that "law" has been established (e.g. Romans 3:31). The law that has been abolished is the Law of Moses that marked the Jew from the Gentile, and the "law" that has been established is the one written on the heart of Jew and Gentile alike who have faith in Christ - the imperative to love God and love neighbour.

Consider also this from Romans 9:

What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith; 31but Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law. 32Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as though it were by works.

Yet again, we have Paul with two faces to "law". Paul's argument here is that the Jew followed the rules and regulations of the Law of Moses but did not arrive "at that law" - the second sense of law that undergirds but is not to identified with the Law of Moses.

For Paul, the Law of Moses, including the 10 commandments, is a kind of "outer shell" that encloses the real essence or heart of a more foundational "law". It is because the Jew pursued the "rules and regulations" and forgot the heart that the problem arose. And, as per Romans 10 (just a few breaths later), they did so not so much from a legalistic error, but rather from a "racial exclusion" error:

Brethren, my heart's desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3For not knowing about God's righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God

From these texts, we see that Paul's view of "law" is complex, and that he can claim that there is a sense in which some "law" has been established even though he is otherwise clear that the written code of the Law of Moses has been abolished.

7. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I disagree - the allusion to "when the Law came" in Romans 7 is instead an allusion to the giving of the Law of Moses at Mount Sinai. There are several arguments in support of this:

1. Although this is not often realized, there is an "exodus" structure to chapters 6, 7, and 8 of Romans. In chapter 6 we have a reference to baptism, corresponding to the transit of the Red Sea. In chapter 7 we have a treatment of the giving of Law at Sinai (this is my hypothesis in light of what is there in chapters 6 and 8), and in chapter 8 we have the Spirit leading the peope, alluding to the leading of the pillar of cloud by day and fire night. I suggest that Paul is "reprising" exodus here. And if this what he is doing, it makes structural sense to see the Romans "coming of the Law" as an allusion to the giving of the Law of Moses, prior to the giving of the Spirit.

2. Consider this material from Romans 7:

For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."[b] 8But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. 9Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.

I suggest that the reference to "do not covet" is a rather clear allusion to the 10 commandments. So when Paul refers to the "coming of the law", he is referring to the delivery of the Law of Moses at Sinai, not to the illumination by of the Law of Moses by the Holy Spirit.

3. Besides, in light of this same text that speaks of the commandment bringing death, I do not see how we can say that death arises in virtue of the Spirit illuminating the Law of Moses - that brings life not death.

I think the arguments are compelling - in Romans 7, Paul looks back on what was true of the Jew living under the Law of Moses. There is no Holy Spirit yet, we only get in chapter 8.

Fundamentally, the person described in the main body of Romans 7 is hopelessly enslaved to sin. How can this possibly be true of the Christian?

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This does not mean that they have the 10 commandments written on their heart. You should do a study of the word "Law" in the NT - it does not always means the same thing.

This passage means that they know there is a right and wrong. The "works" of the law - what is that? It's knowing that there is moral right and wrong; this is because we are made in the image of God and God gave us a conscience.

Then he goes on to say that there is no one who walks in obedience to God's law but "all have strayed and fallen away." That's the point.

Yes, Rom. 2 deals with the lost state.

What's the point of the above? Rom 2 is just part of one book; you are supposed to read the whole book to see the message, you know. Chapters were not added to the Bible until about the 13th century or later.

Those are not success cases. Paul is saying that to people who obey, then x. But later he show us that no one is righteous by works or following the law.

You should read the whole book of Romans at one sitting and compare it to other parts of the Bible. The Bible does not contradict, and as I posted, God tells us that if one could be righteous by the works of the law, then "Christ died needlessly." So we know that no one could be righteous by following the law.

Bob, I like you and I wish you'd check out those websites about the SDA; the SDA has you all mixed up because of some of their aberrant teachings.

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: You sound like DHK now.:) I never called you a Calvinist. When one takes a position in lock step with the very heart of Calvinism as you have in your adherence to a literal payment, you have accepted a firmly entrenched theory in the system of Calvinism, whether or not you are cognizant of if you so desire to be shown in accordance with that system of thought.

The literal payment theory is simply the notion that the atonement was a forensic proceeding in which sins were literally paid for on the cross. Hence the clearly Calvinistic notion that all past present and future sins of the elect have been atoned for, which is simply not the case in any forensic sense. That theory is simply in error. No sins were literally paid for on the cross. The cross made a way whereby all sins could be forgiven, but no sins are remitted until one fulfills the conditions for forgiveness via repentance and faith.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thus Paul points out specific succesful cases - for example the Gentile that obeys God is being clearly identified in the chapter as compared to a Jew that is in rebellion against God's Law.

And God approves of them just as He would approve of a Jew who obeyed -- as Paul points out in the chapter.

There is no example in all of scripture where this phrase means anything else. No not even one.

He only says that of the lost state of man. The sinful nature of all mankind -- before they are born-again.

in Romans 8 he shows clearly that only ONE class truly is stuck in rebellion against God's Law -- it is the lost.

Rom 8
    5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
    6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
    7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the Law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
    8 and those who are [b]in the flesh cannot please God.

On the contrary - Paul is explicit about succesful cases.

Success cases in Rom 2: 7-13, 13-16 25-28

It is exegetically impossible to re-cast all the examples above as "failure".

Indeed that is true for the lost. As I have said repeatedly the Baptist view has a very good understanding of the Law from the standpoint of the lost person.

But when the subject comes up about the Law and the Saved Person - the point seems to be more difficult for them at times - so they switch back to discussing the Law of God from the standpoint of the lost person again.

in Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well you have a difficult task ahead trying to separate the Law in Romans 2 -- from the Law in Romans 3 that condemns all of the world -- and that in the end is "ESTABLISHED" by our faith in Rom 3:31.

Seems to have clamped an iron-clad lock on the term "law" at the very start of Romans - showing that it is the Law found in scripture - the one that includes instruction about circumcision.

You seem to have undone your own case in that regard.

The Law that the Gentiles do not have - is the written law.

The written law of Paul's day -- is scripture.

Indeed. Here we see reference to the moral law - the Ten Commandments - vs some law about Passover or circumcision.

indeed - Cain is warned about not sinning as he contemplates the murder of his brother. (a fact long before Abraham).

And Abraham is given the covenant of circumcision long before Moses.

And the Lev 11 distinction of Clean vs Unclean animal is seen in Gen 6 and 7 long before Moses.

And God himself speaks the Ten Commandments directly to the people - bypassing Moses entirely.

The gentiles did not have access to the law apart from the "Reading of the Law in the Synagogues every Sabbath" as Acts 15 points out - and as we see happening in the case of gentiles - in Acts 13.

Thus in general - because gentiles were not all in the synagogues each Sabbath - they did not have access to scripture at all - not Psalms not Daniel not Isaiah - not Moses.

Paul is arguing that the real value in circumcision is not the outward act - that applied to Jews only - but rather the inward heart-work that applied to BOTH Jew and Gentile and that was writing the Jer 31 LAW of God on the heart - as promised in the Jer 31 New Covenant.

In Eph 2:15 the law that is abolished is explicitly stated to be the law of circumcision that was the "dividing wall" between Jew and Gentile -- the middle wall of separation.

In Romans 2 through 7 the Law that is identified is the Moral law that condemns all the world as sinners and shows them to be in need of Salvation - the law that is written on the heart as part of the New Covenant, the law that is established by our faith and in 1Cor 7:19 the one that is called "the Commandments of God".

Paul was a Jew.

So also were most of those sainst listed in his Heb 11 list.

Paul never argues that the Law of God was at fault.

In Romans 9 - as you pointed out the Law of God is called the "Law of Righteousness" in James 2 it is called "the Royal Law" and "The Law of Liberty".

The contrast Paul uses is that between the Law internalized - written on the heart under the New Covenant in which case it is STILL valid and reveals an obedient child of God. Vs the law "merely external" merely on tablets of stone - in which case it is STILL valid but only condemns.

Again the error is said to be that of unbelieving Jews - not that of the Law of God. The Law of God is "established by our faith" and as Paul says in 1cor 7:19 "but what Matters is keeping the Commandments of God".

There is no text in all of scripture saying "the written code of the Law of Moses has been abolished".

This is the weak point in your argument in that regard.

in Christ,

Bob

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You call a lot of biblical teachings Calvinist when they are no such thing. There are biblical teachings everyone agree on - Calvinists and non-Calvinists, and substitutionary atonement is one of them. Is that what you are talking about? I never heard of the "literal payment theory." Did you make that term up?

That Christ paid for the penalty for sins on the cross is just a part of the historic Christian faith and is supported biblically. In fact, 5 point Calvinists would say that he paid only for the sins of those elected to believe, limited atonement, with which I disagree.

So the penalty for the sins was paid for but no one is forgiven without faith. When one has faith there is salvific justification: one is imputed with the righteousness of Christ. This is forensic because one is not really made righteous in actuality but rather, one is declared righteous in the eyes of God.

Bearing sins on the cross:

Righteousness through faith
    Phil 3:9

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That idea does not work in Romans 7 because Paul gives a sequence.

1. Paul ALIVE APART from the Law
    2. THEN when the Law came -- DEAD

Thus "when the Law came" can only refer to the point IN PAUL's LIFE when he went from his Phil 3 view of thinking of himself "as to the righteousness found in the Law - found BLAMELESS" -- vs the point when through illumination of the John 16 work of the holy Spirit he realized the extent to which the STILL authorotative law - "closed every mouth" and "held all the world accountable to God" (Rom 3) as condemned sinners.

Your alternative proposed in your post above would require that Paul had been alive BEFORE time of Moses at Sinal.

It simply does not work.

in Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True.

That is true of the lost state of man apart from the New Birth - as Paul points out in Romans 3 and Gal 3.

In Rom 7 Paul shows the problem for the saved saint APART from walking by the Spirit and putting to death the deeds of the flesh in Romans 8 which is the SOLUTION for the Romans 7 and is the explanation for the nothing-but-victory-over-sin assertion that Paul makes in Romans 6.

All of which apply to the lost person - apart from the New Birth.

None of which apply to the save person.

In Romans 8:5-8 the lost are the only ones UNNABLE to submit to God's Law.

Rom 8
    8 and those who are [b]in the flesh cannot please God[/b].

In Christ,

Bob

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The righteousness of Christ imputed to the believer at the moment of faith is never lost or taken away; one is sealed with the Holy Spirit and the Bible says one has eternal life. Eternal life begins the moment one believes.

I no longer will post on these topics - losing salvation, obedience required for salvation, etc. as I have debated those enough here and elsewhere. I have come to the conclusion that it is fruitless to try to show those who continue to believe otherwise.

Starting when I was a new believer and throughout my Christian life, I have been confronted all the time by people trying to get me to be KJVO, by universalists, by those who deny hell, by those who believe you can lose your salvation, and so forth (this does not include the cultists I encountered) - many who email me through my website and others were personal encounters. One was even by letter. I have studied all these topics because I had to respond to these people and I had to clarify my own thoughts on the matter. I've done that and I need to move on.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It does not escape the reader's notice that you provide no Bible text for that.

An interesting solution to be sure.

However Matt 18 we have the warning from Christ himself about forgiveness revoked.

John 15 Christ warns about "branches IN ME" that are pruned then removed and cast into fire.

Gal 5:4 example of those who in real life were "severed FROM Christ, fallen FROM Grace"

And even Paul in 1Cor 11 saying "I buffet my body and make it my slave LEST after preaching the Gospel to others I myself should be disqualified"

And of course the warning in Romans 11 to "YOU who stand only by your faith" against the danger of falling.

There are so many Bible warnings to be ignored by those who choose OSAS over the Bible.

oh well...

in Christ,

Bob