1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the LAW

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by donnA, May 23, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

In a recently closed thread (reached 30pages, automatically closed), women were told they needed to obey O.T. laws. I challenged the author of such statement on whether or not he in fact did the same, obeyed O.T. laws.
    Noting that there are 613 O.T. laws, I wonder which he obeys and does not obey. After all he expects women to obey them.
    Here are a few for him, wonder if he is obeying these.

This is the LAW , not the whole bible, or even the whole O.T.

That would be the entire LAW.
    The continual burnt offering (Tamid sacrifice) must be offered twice daily. (Numbers 28:2-6)
    The grain and drink offering must be offered twice daily. (Numbers 28:2-8)
    An additional sacrifice must be offered every Sabbath. (Numbers 28:9-10)
    An additional sacrifice must be offered on The New Moon. (Numbers 28:11-15)
    An additional sacrifice must be offered every day of The Feast of Unleavened Bread (Passover). (Numbers 28:18-24)
    The Omer offering of the first barley must also be brought on the first day of The Feast of Unleavened Bread (Passover) and must be waved by the priests on the second day of the Feast. (Leviticus 23:10-14)
    An additional offering must be offered at The Feast of Weeks (Pentecost). (Numbers 28:26-30)
    Two wave loaves of bread baked with salt must be offered on The Feast of Weeks (Pentecost). (Leviticus 23:17)
    An additional sacrifice must be offered on The Feast of Trumpets. (Numbers 29:1-6)
    An additional sacrifice must be offered on the Day of Atonement. (Numbers 29:7-8)
    The Atonement Service must be performed on the Day of Atonement. (Leviticus 16:2-34)
    An additional sacrifice must be offered every day of The Feast of Tabernacles. (Numbers 29:12-34)
    An additional sacrifice must be offered on The Last Great Day. (Numbers 29:35-40)
    Three times a year keep a Feast to Yahweh: at The Feast of Unleavened Bread, at The Feast of Weeks (Pentecost), and at The Feast of Tabernacles. (Exodus 23:14-17)
    The Feasts of Yahweh must be kept only at the Place Yahweh chooses, at the sanctuary of Yahweh. (Deuteronomy 12:5-7, 14)
    Every household must appear before Yahweh and rejoice at the Feasts. (Deuteronomy 16:14)
    The Passover Lamb must be killed on the fourteenth day of Abib between the two evenings. (Numbers 28:16)
    The Passover Lamb must be eaten on the night of the fifteenth of Abib.(Exodus 12:8-11)
    Those who are unclean from a dead body or away on a journey (stranded, detained, or imprisoned) must kill the Passover Lamb in the Second Moon. (Numbers 9:10-11)
    The Passover in the Second Moon must be held according to all its ordinances. (Numbers 9:11-12)
    The silver trumpets must be sounded at Feast times, New Moons, and also in times of tribulation, to call the congregation together. (Numbers 10:2, 9-10)
    All animals to be sacrificed must be at least eight days old. (Leviticus 22:27)
    All animals to be sacrificed must be without blemish. (Leviticus 22:21)
    All offerings must be salted. (Leviticus 2:13)
    The Law of the burnt offering. (Leviticus 1:2-17)
    The Law of the sin offering. (Leviticus 6:25-30)
    The Law of the trespass offering. (Leviticus 7:1-2, 7)
    The Law of the peace offering. (Leviticus 3:1-17)
    The Law of the grain offering. (Leviticus 2:1-16)
    If the congregation sins ignorantly, a sin offering must be brought. (Leviticus 4:13-21)
    If a person sins ignorantly, a sin offering must be brought when he learns of his sin. (Leviticus 4:27-35)
    If a person is in doubt as to whether he has sinned in regard to any of the holy things, a suspensive guilt offering must be brought. (Leviticus 5:15-19)
    A sin offering must be brought for stealing, swearing falsely, and sins of a like nature. (Leviticus 6:1-7)
    The sin offering must be according to one's means. (Leviticus 5:7-13)
    [/quote]
    unclean animals
    pig= pork
    rabbit
    catfish
    marlin
    swordfish
    abalone
    cla
    crab
    lobster
    shrimp
    scallop
    qyster
    aligator and crocodile, both popular foods in your part of the country
    frog, as in frog legs

reminds me of those FLDS children, they've been sacrificed for false teachings, to the god of s*xual pleasure.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I was good with them until I got to the circumcised on the eighth day!! My son was circumcised on his 2nd day!!!:laugh:

#3 dan e., May 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Consider the source.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

what do you mean source? The source if the bible. And this thread is in repsonse to a recent thread here.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I guess I'm only good for 612... I must have my pork and lobster!!!

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The person who wrote such a thing.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

ok, thanks

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank goodness we are no longer under the law.

Hmm, I wonder if thats where the IRS got its inspiration:laugh:
    If I am not mistaken, its up to 17,000 pages

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

But the point is, since the Bible tells us all of scripture is to be used for instruction, which of these laws do we follow? Any of them? All of them?

Do we get to pick out the ones we like and disregard the ones we don't?

Do we get to tell others that they must not love the Lord because they choose different laws(or none) to follow than we did?

Or are we free from the law because the Law has already be fulfilled in the personhood of Christ?

Leave it to the gov to ruin a good idea! :laugh:

11. Cutter

Cutter New Member

No one was capable of keeping the law. That's why faith in Christ and the only One that lived a perfect, sinless life is the end of the law for current believers.
    As stated in Romans 10:4 For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
    Even though we are no longer under the law I think we should strive to keep the original Ten Commandments.
    Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if [there be] any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Even the Sabbath?

Christ gave us two laws. These are the laws we are to keep.

13. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I find it amazing how preachers today try to keep the Christians under laws that were never givin to us or for us. We were never under the ten commandments except where they agree with the natural laws that are written on our hearts or givin to us in the NT. The NT is very clear on what Christians are to do and not do. Moses was a teacher of the Jews.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And the same people that say we should keep the 10 commandments, also say that we aren't under the law. :confused:

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

What are you referring to when you say the above? I'm not sure I'm following you, here.

Ed

16. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Law

Jesus summarized into 2 points. Love God and love your Neighbor. Every law hangs on these two points. It's not complicated. James even broke it down to following the basic of the Jewish tenets for Goyim. Why go any futher?

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Explain, in a little more detail, here, please. I'm not sure I'm reading the same verses you are, apparently.

BTW, since I hadn't gotten around to it, Welcome to the BB.

Ed

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Maybe I should have said commandments.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'[fn4]
    Mat 22:38 "This is the first and great commandment.
    Mat 22:39 "And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'[fn5]
    Mat 22:40 "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks. Amy got the verses.
    "

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just in case you missed my point about James Acts 15:19-20 "wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them which form among the gentiles (goyim) are turned to God: but that we write unto them that they abstain from pollutions of idols and from fornication, and from things strangles, and from blood."
    Otherwords from practices that were offered to false Gods.
    See simple