1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Legacy of Slavery

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 KenH, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  2. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

Why can the blame not be placed where it belongs? Where did slavery begin? Slavery in America is merely a carry over from other countries! Slavery has been around since the beginning.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue here is the lasting impact of slavery, not whom is to blame for its existence during the early decades of these United States.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why does there have to be lasting impact? What happened to genuine forgiveness? I refuse to bear the guilt of past generations. Nobody alive today has been a slave, and to use their past ancestors as an excuse to gain an upper hand is deplorable.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, the issue here is not guilt, the issue is not feelings. The issue is the lingering impact of slavery.

Please, people, I ask that you read the article before commenting on it. Thank you.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The only "impact" is what one makes of it. It is a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you read the article, webdog?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry, I can't get past the title without getting mad

An American Tragedy: The legacy of slavery lingers in our cities' ghettos

Give me a break! Ghettos are a result of slavery decades ago? Pure garbage. I wish people would take responsibility for THEIR actions for once, instead of blaming everyone else.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I figured.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, you can drink the cool aid and go along with all the rest of the liberals who blame you and I for their living conditions because of the color of OUR skin. THIS is racism!!!!!!!!

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the article:

"This sharp contrast between America's lofty ideals, on the one hand, and the seemingly permanent second-class status of the Negroes, on the other, put the onus on the nation's political elite to choose the nobility of their civic creed over the comfort of longstanding social arrangements. Ultimately they did so. Viewed in historic and cross-national perspective, the legal and political transformation of American race relations since World War II represents a remarkable achievement, powerfully confirming the virtue of our political institutions. Official segregation, which some southerners as late as 1960 were saying would live forever, is dead. The caste system of social domination enforced with open violence has been eradicated. Whereas two generations ago most Americans were indifferent or hostile to blacks' demands for equal citizenship rights, now the ideal of equal opportunity is upheld by our laws and universally embraced in our politics. A large and stable black middle class has emerged, and black participation in the economic, political, and cultural life of this country, at every level and in every venue, has expanded impressively. This is good news. In the final years of this traumatic, exhilarating century, it deserves to be celebrated.

Today's Race Problem

Nevertheless, as anyone even vaguely aware of the social conditions in contemporary America knows, we still face a "problem of the color line." The dream that race might some day become an insignificant category in our civic life now seems naively utopian. In cities across the country, and in rural areas of the Old South, the situation of the black underclass and, increasingly, of the black lower working classes is bad and getting worse. No well-informed person denies this, though there is debate over what can and should be done about it. Nor do serious people deny that the crime, drug addiction, family breakdown, unemployment, poor school performance, welfare dependency, and general decay in these communities constitute a blight on our society virtually unrivaled in scale and severity by anything to be found elsewhere in the industrial West.

What is sometimes denied, but what must be recognized is that this is, indeed, a race problem. The plight of the underclass is not rightly seen as another (albeit severe) instance of economic inequality, American style. These black ghetto dwellers are a people apart, susceptible to stereotyping, stigmatized for their cultural styles, isolated socially, experiencing an internalized sense of helplessness and despair, with limited access to communal networks of mutual assistance. Their purported criminality, sexual profligacy, and intellectual inadequacy are the frequent objects of public derision. In a word, they suffer a pariah status. It should not require enormous powers of perception to see how this degradation relates to the shameful history of black-white race relations in this country."

12. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

Very well put webdog, herein lies the entire issue, people are too ignorant to let go of the past. Those who call them self "Whatever" Americans and constantly complain about and whin about the past should go and live where they claim they hold their allegiances.

13. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

Let go of the past and live for today. The only reason slavery is any issue today is because people have to have any excuse for holding grudges.

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I listen to a station from time to time where "whitey" is blamed for everything wrong in the black community. It simply amazes me to hear such rhetoric. And, we wonder why we have a race problem. Too many are perpetuating it with a victim mentality and attacking anyone, calling him or her a racists, who disagrees.

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

"What is sometimes denied, but what must be recognized is that this is, indeed, a race problem. The plight of the underclass is not rightly seen as another (albeit severe) instance of economic inequality, American style. These black ghetto dwellers are a people apart, susceptible to stereotyping, stigmatized for their cultural styles, isolated socially, experiencing an internalized sense of helplessness and despair, with limited access to communal networks of mutual assistance. Their purported criminality, sexual profligacy, and intellectual inadequacy are the frequent objects of public derision. In a word, they suffer a pariah status. It should not require enormous powers of perception to see how this degradation relates to the shameful history of black-white race relations in this country."

This quote from Ken's article only proves my point. Look where the blame is placed. The lack of personal responsibility, the self-perpetuating victim hood, the excuses for crime, sexual deviancy, etc are blamed on race relations. Bunk!! :sleeping_2: And, I'm probably going to be called a racist for espousing such a view point. Oh well.

#15 sag38, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2008
  16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The article is not about blaming "whitey".

Can conservatives offer something besides a knee-jerk reaction?

17. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You are just too lazy to read the article. If you did, you might just learn something, but I doubt it.

18. sag38

sag38 Active Member

My reaction is right on. I've heard this junk since I was in college from liberals and it's still going on today. As long as the self induced, self perpetuating victim mentality remains there will never be any progress in race relations in this country. They don't want any progress. They just want entitlements.

19. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To see another perspective go to:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/03/obamas_anger.html

An excerpt:

[FONT=times new roman,times]

This, from one of their own!!
    [/FONT]

20. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Oh no?....wait.....

One of my grandfathers was a slaveowner......and he owned my other grandfather.

this is a true story. I didnt even find out the truth until a few years ago. (My family always told me that we were dark skinned because we were part Indian)

The tryth is this.....there are no Indian relatives that I can find, but I did find out for sure that one of my grandfathers was a black buggy driver that was owned by my other grandfather......

I was raised in a "white" culture, and I see no reason why anyone else couldnt adapt to it.

I went to school in Little Rock, AR with two black people who were 1st cousins, and lived next door to each other. One was a grand scholar, and I imagine that she went on to finish college (she was enrolled in the same college as me after HS)

The other was like 19 yearss old when we were in the 10th grade. He couldnt spell his name. In the early 80's I saw an article in the Little Rock paper where he was found dead on the railroad tracks, with some crack on him

Is it racist to say that these two cousins fit a sterotype?

Why are they from the same family, live next door to one another, and yet have totally different outcomes with thier lives?

I say that that they went to same school as me, and they both had the same choices to make, and that neither the dead crack dealer, nor his family< can blame America or our culture for his choices.

AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.