1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The lesser of two evils?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Darrell C, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you explain why you think he is going to "tamper" with the First Amendment?

Secondly, I would point out that the current administration is forcing their religion down our throats...already.

God bless.

3. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

People who follow #NeverTrump listen to people who tell insane lies about what Trump would do as President. They're told that Trump will trample over the Constitution. I doubt many #NeverTrump followers could be very articulate about sharing what they've been told. But, the emotional impact sticks with them. The irony is that with Hillary's desire and ability to place the Fifth Activist on the Supreme Court, she is a clear and present danger to America. Trump is just a blowhard populist, but one who has offered up some good judges for the Supreme Court, if elected.

Even before Scalia left the court, the court was tipped enough to the Left to impose Same-Sex marriage upon the country. The Supreme Court just refused to hear a challenge to a law forcing privately-owned pharmacies to dispense drugs designed to induce abortion -- causing Justice Alito to comment:

If this is a sign of how religious liberty claims will be treated in the years ahead, those who value religious freedom have cause for great concern.

I consider #NeverTrump followers to be enemies of America.

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More likely the thread was closed due to the attempt to turn it into another name-calling festival.

And no, enough hasn't been said, and it is doubtful, seeing how this Nation is more and more embracing the teachings of men like Obama...that enough will ever be said.

You are free to point out what I have said that has no basis in reality.

Oh, that's right, you already did, right? The reality is that nothing I have said has been random, it has been direct response to your own comments.

I particularly like your appeal to logical fallacies, that was actually fun. Pity you did not want to take it further.

So point out what is false, instead of making the claim.

Where is the truth in this...

Baptist Believer said:

If you are going to pull out the Hitler analogy, Trump fits the pattern quite nicely. As I pointed out to Darrell, he's worried about who will be on the Supreme Court to interpret the Constitution. I'm worried that we won't have a Constitution in a few years.

I have never even mentioned the Supreme Court, except to say "I have never mentioned the Supreme Court."

Now who is it that is not being honest? You can correct me by quoting me bringing up the Supreme Court.

I wouldn't know. Not my hobby to keep up with twits. Now don't argue with me, I know you do, but its a different concept altogether.

;)

It's not pointless, its a matter of life and death to be exact.

You continue preaching tolerance and that Islam is a religion of peace, and I'll keep teaching what you call a caricature.

That's not important to me, I'm not trying to glorify myself.

Do you really think what people who advocate for abortion, homosexuality, Islam, and any liberal doctrine or practice really matters to me?

I already know they aren't going to like what I have to say, lol.

Can't do it.

Too important an issue.

Actually, our views on Trump might not be that different.

It is our views on Obama and Clinton that are the focal issue.

But you should already know your wrong about Obama and Clinton.

That is what is scary.

Even scarier...there are many who think like you do.

Right.

If you would just examine the issues, and give a little consideration to your support of the Liberal Agenda, and the absolute contradiction of supporting Hillary Clinton with a Christian Worldview...you might rethink your support for her.

But you have given no reason that makes Trump even come close to Obama and Clinton.

Nothing.

He's a failure as a businessman?

He's going to destroy the First Amendment? Get a clue, my friend...that's already happening, you just don't realize it yet. What's it going to take, men breaking down your doors and dragging you away for preaching the Gospel?

I simply do not understand how any Christian could even contemplate casting a vote for Hillary Clinton.

Simply boggles the mind.

What gave it away?

Sorry, just not a "Guess we'll have to agree to disagree" kind of guy.

I don't win arguments, the points do.

And so far you have not offered one point that could credibly be called reasonable.

I don't expect you to respond to my questions, that has already been shown. But, at any rate, if you are going to advocate for Obama and Clinton, don't think you will do so without response.

God bless.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you mind providing the context of the video in relation to the OP and its relevance to what TCassidy stated?

God bless.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's one element of this discussion that I think applies to both sides: propaganda. We have to recognize the nature of politics and the zeal some people invest into this topic.

Consider that the two things people are cautioned about bringing up are Religion and Politics, lol.

I am in full agreement that Clinton is a clear and present danger, and that she has been able to deceive so many Christians is scary. However, we must also acknowledge that some Christians reject both Trump and Clinton, and I personally cannot argue too hard for their reasoning. I don't care much for Trump either, never have. But, what I can say is that in this election there are two primary candidates that, if one vote for one or the other, they will actually be contributing to this election. What I mean is that a third party vote will not elect a third party candidate, so, we look at the our choices, which are vote for Clinton, Trump, or don't vote. Those are the choices that will impact this election.

And I hate to say it, but Liberals seem more determined than Conservatives. And I can understand why a Christian might not vote, but, those reasons are not likely to be paralleled in liberal voters. They are going to vote primarily because their religion itself is at stake: Secular Humanism.

Obama is a prophet, and Hillary is a prophetess of Secular Humanism.

The laws are changing, and these laws benefit the religion of liberals. What's sad is some of them call themselves Christians.

We are well past the "signs," our freedoms are slowly being stripped.

When it is illegal to run your own business according to your religious belief...its gone.

I don't know enough about it to comment, but, I will say that it implies a direct effort against Trump, which I have my doubts those who dislike the man based on Christian values would waste their time being a part of.

Because the only thing that is achieved by an effort like that is support for Clinton, which is even worse.

God bless.

7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the 1st Amendment allow an elected official to knowlingly lie on the Senate floor in an attempt to influence an election?

Because Reid apparently did so, and had no remorse when called on it.

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe me, everyone has noticed. You cannot abide someone else having different convictions and daring to express them. However, I doubt you have changed anyone else's mind about the issues.

Having a discussion with you is pointless, so I'm out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I get it now.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And as long as you treat Doctrinal Discussion Forums as a popularity contest you will continue to miss the opportunities we have in them.

On the contrary, if I did not, I would be in every thread on this forum. I understand why some people believe the way they do, and certain points are not worth going to in-depth on, but, there are some things that are important enough that we simply do not let it go.

This is one of them. The false notion that one can be a Christian sound in understanding and support the Liberal Agenda is totally absurd.

We know that a vote against Hillary Clinton will literally be a vote against Islam, abortion, homosexuality, improper Foreign Policy, the dismantling of the Constitution, and...

...a false prophetess, who has deceived millions of people who call themselves Christians.

Not to vote against her is insane from a Christian perspective.

But, as I said, I can understand the reasoning behind a non-vote. I disagree with that reasoning, but I understand it, and feel one has a right to take that position.

So once again you present a false argument.

And by the way, this is a debate forum. If you get upset because people debate, perhaps you should consider something a little less volatile than an open forum where the two most volatile topics in the world are discussed on a regular basis.

Not my concern. I will say that it is my hope that God will change hearts, rather than myself changing minds. I can change a mind, but someone can come behind me and change it back. The mind is weak, but the heart is in God's hands.

Can't really be pointless if I have gotten you to stop advocating for Obama and Clinton, now is it?

;)

God bless.

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a bump to continue the discussion: I would ask that anyone that feels that Clinton is the "lesser of two evils" and thus justifies a vote for her to please contrast the "evils" of Clinton and Trump. Give reasons why you would vote for Clinton as opposed to "sitting this one out."

That is the primary purpose for the thread, to take a look at the reasons why Christians might vote for either side, being that most of us understand both to be without Christ.

God bless.

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't matter. He'll just carry on by having a discussion with himself!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, Darrell, do you really think you are going to accomplish anything in this thread?

Hey, great question, Darrell, thanks for asking! Yes, actually I do, because it is my firm belief that many Christians today have faiths that are built upon snippets. What I mean by that, Darrell, is that they take a verse, and run with it! There is a reliance on just part of the information necessary to draw sound conclusions.

Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem, Darrell. But really, aren't you just going to get people mad at you?

I hope so, Darrell, I really do. Because I understand that anger can bring the mind to a focus sometimes. This works in the business world, when training men specific skills. We see this principle in the military as well. We don't see Drill Sergeants asking nicely for their recruits to do what they are told, nor are they given an option for doing things their way. Instead, we see a perfect example of those who have authority, and those who need to come under that authority.

Now hold on, Darrell...are you saying you are the authority here?

Not at all, Darrell, lol: I am saying that the Word of God is the authority. Of course, because Snippet Theology tends to result in emotional response, rather than a sincere desire for adherence to the singular authority of God's Word, often there is a tendency to shoot the messenger, so to speak. Understand? The Drill Sergeant isn't standing on his own authority, for example.

I see.

So, to answer your question, yes, I think a thread like this can do a lot of good. We either force the Snippet Theologian to examine issues in more detail, or, they get upset and go away. Either way, the issue is either discussed or the Snippet Theology is silenced. And we see, in political issues, this same kind of mentality. But, Darrell, and I want you to consider this carefully...

...when we bring those two issues into the same arena, that is, Theology and Politics, we find that the two, for the Christian...cannot be divorced. For example, we ask the Snippet Theologian, "How can you condone murder of any kind?" Their response is usually "...we don't do that!" The fact is, they do. And only by actually introducing the Authority that should govern their views can we examine the depth of their understanding.

That makes sense, Darrell.

Hey, thanks Darrell. You ask great questions!

Well, in that case, Darrell, I would say carry on with the thread. Hopefully there will be those who who do want to look at the issues in detail, and perhaps we might see some understand the dangers of Snippet Theology.

And I plan to do that, Darrell. I know it will be viewed as seeking to win an argument, or getting in the last word, but you know...that doesn't concern me. I like to think that my posting makes it clear as to what I see as a governing authority in Doctrine and Practice, and I leave it up to those who read the discussions to be honest with themselves.

Again, thanks for the questions, Darrell, but have to get going. Thanks for participating in this examination of "The Lesser of Two Evils."

God bless.

#33 Darrell C, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  14. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may be the only fellow on this forum who doesn't get a vote for the next POTUS.
    I don't envy you your choice. Hilary's failings don't get much air time in Britain, so I'm not going to give any advice. We have enough political problems and unscrupulous politicians over here.
    However, I read this in the New York Times and pass it on for what it's worth.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/05/o...region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region&_r=1

15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are aware, are you not, that the New York Times is a radical left leaning, wholly owned subsidiary of the Democrat National Committee and the Hillary Clinton campaign?

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're lucky you don't have to deal with the US Election cycle this time around.

As to your article, yes, it delineates many of the things I dislike about Trump, the man.

If you make a list of the seven deadly sins, he's got all of them covered, depending on how you define them.

Greed? Check
    Pride? Check
    Lust? Check
    Envy? Check
    Anger? Check
    Sloth? Perhaps. Check if you interpret sloth to mean not exercising the gifts of the Spirit.
    Gluttony? Check if you interpret is as overconsumption of anything, not just food.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Address the article, not the source.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the latest on the Hildebeast just sets in stone that I will vote for Trump, but instead of grimacing as I pull the lever, I'll just keep a straight face.
    As I heard somewhere a Charley Daniels quote, " It's easy to win the race when you OWN all the horses!!

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see, Hillary is not guilty of violating the laws aimed at protecting classified information. The Libya attack was caused by a video. There was not a smidgen of corruption in the IRA. People who see Mr. Trump as the same as Hillary are not trying very hard at objectivity.

• Agree Agree x 1